Scrambles do they get old?

MontgomeryBryan

Reaction score
Handicap
Scrambles have always been fun to me. Over the past few years I have been operating tournaments for different non-profits. During these events I have noticed that most are tired of the everyday scramble.

What tournament format do you prefer?

Scrambles have always been fun to me. Over the past few years I have been operating tournaments for different non-profits. During these events I have noticed that most are tired of the everyday scramble.

What tournament format do you prefer?

First off....Welcome to THP!

Second, Scrambles can get old, but as you know, the time needed to move teams around the course can add up and make for a LONG day. There are other options, of course, but the reality is, for the mass of people you want to move and in the time you desire, it's the best format...some what unfortunately.

Scrambles are like watching paint dry.

I prefer the Shambe format over the traditional scramble. It allows each person to play a little more golf!

Theyre annoying anymore for me really. Not the golf aspect, but the cheating that goes on. I like the format a lot for a fun round with a group of friends, but i prefer Modified Pinehurst or Shamble personally

This is something my wife and I are trying to sort out, as we're coordinating a charity golf event that's been a scramble for the past 11 years, and are pondering some changes. I would like to see the event become a Shamble, best two scores are recorded, with each player's score needing to be recorded at least once per side. Not sure how well that'll be received, though.

Another option is to make each 4-person team into two 2-person teams that switch after nine holes, and then each 2 person team plays modified pinehurst. Only problem with that is it can be a bit more complicated.

Theyre annoying anymore for me really. Not the golf aspect, but the cheating that goes on. I like the format a lot for a fun round with a group of friends, but i prefer Modified Pinehurst or Shamble personally
Both excellent choices!

i don't think they're that fun from a pure golf perspective. it's fun to hang out with friends and have a little less pressure. but as someone who loves golf more for golf than the social aspect, i find it difficult to focus on the shot because you're not really trying to preserve your own score.

My brother and I play in a few scrambles throughout the year and I've always had fun. I will say though that I don't have a lot of experience with other formats so it's what I'm used to playing.

Thank you I look forward to interacting with everyone.

My current event that I am operating is going to be the typical scramble but that is really just to keep it simple. On the pace side of things I have actually found one style that tends to move much faster but is obviously more difficult. A handicapped shamble-skins game with 2 better ball and team total. The three times I have operated this style of event the pace was around 4 1/2 hours and the players had a lot of fun. This style of event takes a lot of promoting and planning but it goes very well.

Shambles tend to go very well reception wise. Typically you are going to get more of the golf purist when you run a shamble. When you are marketing one it is good to know the audience that you would see.

I like the switching after nine holes. Definitely would make scoring the event and explaining the event a little more difficult, but would weed out any cheating issues you might run into. A great idea.

Our fundraiser tournament is a 3 person scramble, mostly because thats what people go for around here. I think they can be fun so long as everyone stays honest. I like that you get put into different situations than you would in a single round, usually it gives someone the opportunity to take some extremely aggressive shots with no risk at all. There are a few tournaments at our course that deviate from the standard scramble format, but it does limit the number of people who will play. Since the objective of ours is to raise money, we keep ours as a straight scramble.

I prefer the scramble. Most people only play a few tournaments like that a year so for most it seems to be a social event rather than a golf tournament. I play in 5-10 a year as a representative for a business and have helped plan/coordinate some.

I don't like the idea of the lowest gross score getting any prize because of all the pencil whipping. I'd also prefer to see someone monitor the long drive and closest to the pin holes (if they are having them) to ensure that those are scored properly. I've seen a few 350 yard drives that shouldn't exist on the hole in most places, much less at sea level where I'm at. And after seeing the guys that "hit" them, the reality of them hitting 350 even with a 50" driver with 4 degrees of loft would be slim.

I'd also say having a food before and after helps too. It's even easier if the course offers to take care of that as part of the cost.

We don't use scrambles at THP Events thankfully.

Scrambles typically benefit a charity or some cause, so I don't mind them. If I'm playing its for that reason so I just go to have fun and support a cause

We don't use scrambles at THP Events thankfully.
I love the formats THP uses, it keeps it fun, changing things up and gives everyone a chance to play their own ball for a good portion of the round or rounds. But even though we have all levels of play at THP event, they are generally made up of golfers who know how to get around a course in a reasonable amount of time...(I know you're shaking your head at the moment) but you know what I mean. some of the once or twice a year golfers that come out to a charity event, would bring a shamble format to a screeching halt. Unless you put in a pick up after double or some rule. But then they don't get the feeling of really participating as they are out of the hole while everyone else finishes.

One of my favorite "fun" events like this every year is next weekend, and is a regular big-cup scramble. The biggest thing they do that keeps it fun and helps minimize cheating is to make the event 3 person teams, and then have everyone play as 6-somes. It doesn't seem to be any slower than a traditional scramble, and the simple "switch scorecards and keep the other teams score" seems to make the scores a bit higher than in a regular 4-person scramble.

(It doesn't hurt that it's usually a kick off the season tournament, and has cash payouts)

Scrambles definitely aren't my favorite format, but they're a nice way to get less serious players out on the course.

Scrambles suck a big one. I play in a few every year and it gets so boring. Unfortunately too, I seem to play a lot at courses that I would absolutely love to play stroke-for-stroke.

Shambles are my preference if I have to play in some sort of team event where we don't always play our own ball.

If you could take the cheating out of scrambles, I would be all for them. I still enjoy going and supporting a cause, it just gets really tiresome some of the stuff that can go on at them.

Depends on the event, if it's for charity or something then I really enjoy playing with my friends and seeing how well we can do. Like others have mentioned though, cheating tends to run rampant with scrambles it seems like.

I hate any scramble when teams are playing own their own with no marker.

I like playing scrambles, shambles, rambles and gambles. Their all good to me !

Only time I play a scramble is for charity because I know the money is going to a good cause and the cheating by some teams doesn't bother me as much. I like the format but don't like playing where people feel the need to cheat to win

Me and my friends play a few scrambles a year just for a fun day out. They are always local charity events so its just about having a good time. I enjoy them for that, can't say I would ever enjoy one for money, too many variables with people that you cant control.

I don't care what the format is. I just wanna play golf. I play in probably a dozen charity tourneys a year. But like they said, scrambles tend to bring out the cheaters. They also lead you to hit clubs you normally wouldn't on certain holes... like hitting driver on a short par 4 with a narrow fairway and hazards, or taking a stab at a par 5 in 2 from 275 out with a lake in front of the green.

I've only played in a couple shamble tournaments, but I really enjoyed it.

Back