Demo Day at my club

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
So today was Demo Day at the club where I am a member.
TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, and PxG were the club manufacturers.
Sun Mountain and Titleist were there with bags (especially carry bags).
A bunch of clothing companies were represented, FootJoy shoes were in full force.

I hit the M1, King Cobra and the F6 drivers.
I hit the Cobra and Callaway 3 hybrids.
I hit the PxG irons.
I hit the PxG, TM and Callaway wedges (56 for all companies, 52 from TM and PxG and 60 from PxG and Callaway).

Driver -
I liked the M1 - good trajectory (mid-high), probably good distance. However, after trying the Cobra line (and I am a fan of Cobra, as I own the BioCell and FlyZ drivers), I cannot wait for these drivers to get to market. Both Cobra drivers feel great, sound great (although different from each other), and they are LOOONNNGGG!!!

The Callaway Apex hybrid is a fantastic club - mid flight, straight as an arrow, and easy to hit. Small head, good weight to the club, and feels smooth. The Cobra F6 hybrid was a higher flight hybrid, also felt great. I could not get the hybrid to move off of its original line, so it may be for the higher handicap player who doesn't need the ball to draw or fade that much.

I was VERY impressed with the PxG irons. These are the best feeling irons I have ever hit, bar none. The forgiveness is really surprising, given the look is one of a better, smaller head and thinner top line. It felt like every shot was pure butter, even if I did not hit the center of the club.

Wedges - The PxG wedges were straight, very consistent flight. I moved directly to the TM wedges (ATV grind), the feel was also very good, but nothing like the feel of the PxG clubs. Callaway - did not feel quite as good as either the TM or PxG, although the "Phil" wedge was fantastic.

Overall, PxG, while ridiculously expensive, has great feeling irons and wedges. The Cobra line of drivers and hybrids are solid, and I cannot wait to see how they do in 2016. DO NOT sleep on the F6 or the King Cobra. The Callaway Apex hybrid is a monster! If I were to buy ANY new club at this moment, this is the one I would pay top dollar for.

I tested out a few putters, but that is for another time.

Thanks for reading!!

What did you notice as the main differences between the Cobra drivers? I haven't read either of the threads yet so feel free to tell me to buzz off and go read them. :D

The F6 is a lower launching head, sounds a little more metallic. Other than that, not much.

Spivey, did the PXG irons give any feedback on mishits? You said they felt good on mishits, could you tell where on the face you missed it if you did?

How did the new Cobra drivers compare to your fly z? I am usually not a big sound guy for my clubs, but I LOVE the fly z sound.

Spivey, did the PXG irons give any feedback on mishits? You said they felt good on mishits, could you tell where on the face you missed it if you did?
Yep - I could tell if I hit it thin and on the toe. I did not hit any off the heel, so I cannot comment on that. Crazy that the mishits still felt solid and smooth, but I knew. And when I flushed it, the club felt so nice, effortless.
I used ProV1 balls for the demo, brand new balls. So the ball was not a variable at all.

So jealous! Never any demo days here in the middle of nowhere.

very interesting on the pxg. anything you can compare the feel and results to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which club was doing the demo day?

Thanks for the info! Great review.

How did the new Cobra drivers compare to your fly z? I am usually not a big sound guy for my clubs, but I LOVE the fly z sound.
King Cobra sounded more like the FlyZ than the F6. Felt similar, too.

very interesting on the pxg. anything you can compare the feel and results to?

I can honestly say that the feel is most like hitting a forged club, but better. Every shot felt like I was hitting a WS Duo ball (ProV1 was the ball I hit for all iron and wedge shots). It felt incredible. I wish I had better comparisons for you.

Great write up! Excellent info.

are the PXG irons worth the cost?

King Cobra sounded more like the FlyZ than the F6. Felt similar, too.
good to know. I have hit the King ltd and thought it was pretty similar to the fly z, but havent hit the F6 yet. Thanks for the insight!

are the PXG irons worth the cost?

Not sure. Depends how much you spend to find the club that feels and performs best for you.

I hear they are in the $3500 range for the irons, kind of steep for my wallet

I hear they are in the $3500 range for the irons, kind of steep for my wallet

Kinda steep for most wallets!!

Kinda steep for most wallets!!

Indeed Dr. August.

The TPE injected irons are certainly interesting, doubtful I'd be able to find somewhere to try them out though.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back