Shanking Iron Shots

HuskAir

Reaction score
Handicap
First off, I did NOT have this issue last year, and I cannot figure out what has changed.

Anyways, I am really racking up my scores with extra iron shots, due to complete shanks with my irons (and even wedges). I'm not sure if it's my grip, stance, upper body, or what. I might try to get video of my swing somehow to help with this. What are some tips to help iron shots get up into the air, in a somewhat-straight pattern, consistently? To be honest, I have been shanking the ball more often than not...it's getting really, really bad! :(

Thanks.

HuskAir,

Thank you for the post and sorry to hear about your plight. The shanks are brutal to go through but can be easily overcome. Without seeing video of you, it is a little generic in my response. What you have to do is get the hosel away from the golf ball - pure and simple. What I always do is put a swim noodle above the ball at set up. It should be close enough to the ball that when you address the ball, it is touching the noodle. When you swing, just simply avoid the noodle. I know it sounds elementary but I have had great success with it. If you could post some video, we could be a little more specific to what you are doing.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood/Cary

HuskAir,

Thank you for the post and sorry to hear about your plight. The shanks are brutal to go through but can be easily overcome. Without seeing video of you, it is a little generic in my response. What you have to do is get the hosel away from the golf ball - pure and simple. What I always do is put a swim noodle above the ball at set up. It should be close enough to the ball that when you address the ball, it is touching the noodle. When you swing, just simply avoid the noodle. I know it sounds elementary but I have had great success with it. If you could post some video, we could be a little more specific to what you are doing.

Robert Gamble, PGA
GolfTEC Glenwood/Cary

Having same issues as well.. Thanks for the advice.

Can you clear up what you mean by above the ball. do you mean behind the ball as in the right foot side of the ball verses the left foot side of the ball (right had stance). Hope no one feels trying to hi0jack, just in same situation and wanted clarification.

Thanks,
Jesse

Having same issues as well.. Thanks for the advice.

Can you clear up what you mean by above the ball. do you mean behind the ball as in the right foot side of the ball verses the left foot side of the ball (right had stance). Hope no one feels trying to hi0jack, just in same situation and wanted clarification.

Thanks,
Jesse

I think he means on the opposite side of the ball in which you stand.

Use this Diagram: the "---" is where you will put the noodle or something like it.

:golf:
. 0
-------

Use this Diagram: the "---" is where you will put the noodle or something.

-------

I think Hank Haney was doing the same thing with Adam Levine on the Haney project when he was shanking, except he used his driver head cover and then a small wooden post

Use this Diagram: the "---" is where you will put the noodle or something like it.

. 0
-------

That diagram just made my day!! thanks for clearing that up! Rep :)

HuskAir,

Robert Gamble, PGA
GolfTEC Glenwood/Cary

Um, this works really well. I've been suffering from the shanks for over a week now. I read this thread today, went home and tried this little drill and I was surprised at how well I did. It did fix the shanks, however, remove the noodle, and the very next swing they came back. Fascinating. Aggravating, but fascinating nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Um, this works really well. I've been suffering from the shanks for over a week now. I read this thread today, went home and tried this little drill and I was surprised at how well I did. It did fix the shanks, however, remove the noodle, and the very next swing they came back. Fascinating. Aggravating, but fascinating nonetheless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keep plugging away at it, you'll get there

I've found that placing something just outside the ball is only a temporary fix as it does not necessarily address whatever problem exists in the swing that is causing the s*****s in the first place and then when the object is removed, the s*****s can come back. I have a tendency to come over the top a little, which causes some problems, and I have worked with a pro to bring my hands down before coming through the ball so that my swing is more from the inside.

IMHO, it's better to try to fix the root casue of the problem rather than swinging to avoid an object that won't be there when you are on the golf course.

Last edited:
You might be standing too close to the ball. I'd also check your takeaway to see if you're rolling your forearms and opening the clubface. So many things that can cause those damn hosel rockets, but eventually they'll go away.

Back