TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Nice writeups OEM and Buck!

OEM, sorry to hear the weak fades have reappeared. But awesome to hear how you were striping the 4 iron.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. i can't wait to get some more time with these and see how they perform on the course. yeah i thought the 2.0 looked great when they came out but i think the r11s take the cake now.

I always see where testers talk a out being the last one to receive their clubs....now I feel for ya. Mine will be here Wednesday and I can't wait. I'm glad to see OEM feel confident about the graphite shafts because it worried me a bit when I saw the word listed beside my name, although I have played graphite shafts before.

I am excited though because I just completed a 4 day Member/Guest tournament in Arizona and really struck my irons well. I am leaving here with a great amount of confidence and prepared to take on the task of this testing/review.

I always see where testers talk a out being the last one to receive their clubs....now I feel for ya. Mine will be here Wednesday and I can't wait. I'm glad to see OEM feel confident about the graphite shafts because it worried me a bit when I saw the word listed beside my name, although I have played graphite shafts before.

I am excited though because I just completed a 4 day Member/Guest tournament in Arizona and really struck my irons well. I am leaving here with a great amount of confidence and prepared to take on the task of this testing/review.

I think you'll reall like the graphite shafts. I was very impressed wit them. Dont hate!

Personally I love graphite shafts, it will be interesting to see how you like them in the testing. Out of curiosity, what course did you play in the tourney?

Great write ups Buckjob and OEM Kevin. I really enjoyed the side by side shots with the 2.0s that Buckjob put up, and seeing that the graphite shafts are working out for you OEM Kevin.

Solid write-ups OEM and Buckjob. Just getting off work at 12:30, so skimmed a bit, but will make it back to delve deeper and post a few questions.

Thanks for the hard work guys.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Got a question for the testers as they keep on going with these irons...How are these irons holding greens? (5/6/7)

I heard these have something special done with the grooves (still conforming) that is supposed to give them more? spin then similar irons.

Got a question for the testers as they keep on going with these irons...How are these irons holding greens? (5/6/7)

I heard these have something special done with the grooves (still conforming) that is supposed to give them more? spin then similar irons.

I only hit these in the range and I'm sure the range greens are not as firm as the course. That being said these grooves work and work well. The grooves combined with the high ball flight were holding the greens quite nice. I'm putting the R11s in play this week whir in Atlanta. I am expecting good things.

Kongfrontation

I can't really give an honest answer to that one just yet. I had quite a few PW's hold the green really well. If you call plugging holding the green. This place was so wet every shot that came in high would just plug.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

I have only hit the R11's on a simulator and plan on buying soon. I have a high ball flight now, for the testers that have had a high ball previous is it any higher now with the R11's. On the simulator I only gained a few yards from my R7's I have now which I am fine with but I really dont want a higher flight than I have now. Maybe the KBS tour shaft would keep it down?

I have only hit the R11's on a simulator and plan on buying soon. I have a high ball flight now, for the testers that have had a high ball previous is it any higher now with the R11's. On the simulator I only gained a few yards from my R7's I have now which I am fine with but I really dont want a higher flight than I have now. Maybe the KBS tour shaft would keep it down?

I can't answer for the KBS shafts as I have the graphite but the ball flight I saw yesterday wasn't too high. I'm a high ball hitter too. It was actually a nice penetrating ball flight on the longer irons and high on the scoring irons which is what I like.

Great reviews and videos guys. Nice to put a face to your name Buckjob! I'm loving the looks of these irons.

i have always had a very high ball flight and like i said earlier in my post the ball flight seemed to be even a little more higher than usual but it wasn't crazy high like i wasn't happy with the ball flight. i am heading to the range again in a little bit hoping i can get on the grass and hit some more shots. I'll have a better idea on my ball flight compared to my old irons after that hopefully. i should have another write up tonight -got my parents 35 wedding anniversary this afternoon so once i get back from that ill do a write up and let you know.

I can't answer for the KBS shafts as I have the graphite but the ball flight I saw yesterday wasn't too high. I'm a high ball hitter too. It was actually a nice penetrating ball flight on the longer irons and high on the scoring irons which is what I like.

Thanks Kevin, Did you play graphite before or just for this testing?

i have always had a very high ball flight and like i said earlier in my post the ball flight seemed to be even a little more higher than usual but it wasn't crazy high like i wasn't happy with the ball flight. i am heading to the range again in a little bit hoping i can get on the grass and hit some more shots. I'll have a better idea on my ball flight compared to my old irons after that hopefully. i should have another write up tonight -got my parents 35 wedding anniversary this afternoon so once i get back from that ill do a write up and let you know.

Thats good to know, I will check it out in the morning.

Thanks Kevin, Did you play graphite before or just for this testing?

Thats good to know, I will check it out in the morning.

This is my first time with graphite shafts.

VV I think you will find the flight to be high with thr KBS but not ballooning. It's a tight ball flight to say the least.
I wouldnt steer away from the KBS but I would look at the launch angle to be sure it is where you want it.

Kongfrontation

This is my first time with graphite shafts.

I havent had the pleasure as of yet to ever hit graphite shafts in irons. I know you only had them out once but outside of the lighter weight what is another glaring difference in your opinion?

Kongfrontation

Personally I love graphite shafts, it will be interesting to see how you like them in the testing. Out of curiosity, what course did you play in the tourney?

Hassayampa Golf Club, Prescott, Arizona.

I've looked at the R11 irons 26 times since they came out, but I never looked at the graphite sets. I'm fortunate enough to have a Golfsmith Extreme & Golf Galaxy just a couple miles from my house and I was aware that both the steel and graphite clubs were beside each other, but I truly never look over at them. This alone will probably once again prove to me that I should be more open to all equipment and all types.

OEM, that 4i needs a permanent spot in your bag...now. If all 4 irons were that easy to hit there would be no need for hybrids. You sure were striping that thing on the back 9 that's for sure

I havent had the pleasure as of yet to ever hit graphite shafts in irons. I know you only had them out once but outside of the lighter weight what is another glaring difference in your opinion?

Kongfrontation

They look bad ass? Haha you know I think that's something I'll have to figure out over time with the clubs. One thing comes to mind though. With lighter weight comes less fatigue. I can play more golf and better.

Concept, at the Morgan Cup I had an interesting conversation with the TaylorMade Rep that was down there, and he was telling me that the grooves on the irons that are coming out now, are better than the old grooves. I don't know this to be true, but he was telling me that before, they just put the grooves on irons and that was it, but now, so much R and D has gone into the grooves they are putting on every iron and wedge, that they feel the spin they can impart on the ball is even better than before.

As for holding greens with the longer irons, I can hold even firm greens with the 5 and 6 irons with no trouble at all. On firm greens I'm seeing some rollout but nothing crazy, on soft greens, they just hit and stick.

OEM, that 4i needs a permanent spot in your bag...now. If all 4 irons were that easy to hit there would be no need for hybrids. You sure were striping that thing on the back 9 that's for sure

The 4 iron was my break out star yesterday. That thing was awesome. Best 4 iron I've hit from any set. It's in the bag for sure. It's nice to have a long iron like that to find the fairway when the woods act up.

Concept, at the Morgan Cup I had an interesting conversation with the TaylorMade Rep that was down there, and he was telling me that the grooves on the irons that are coming out now, are better than the old grooves. I don't know this to be true, but he was telling me that before, they just put the grooves on irons and that was it, but now, so much R and D has gone into the grooves they are putting on every iron and wedge, that they feel the spin they can impart on the ball is even better than before.

As for holding greens with the longer irons, I can hold even firm greens with the 5 and 6 irons with no trouble at all. On firm greens I'm seeing some rollout but nothing crazy, on soft greens, they just hit and stick.

I wonder if this is going to be an industry standard, i would have to think so. I've noticed it in my wedges

Kongfrontation

Kmac, with the immediate success of the 4iron, I have to ask, does it make you want a 3iron?

Back