THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

That's 15 guys for Ohio. Pretty quality. Nearly a 50% chance at this point. And I think you will get even more!

Michigan is at what, 10 or so? Not bad either and I expect more as we will have a couple more guys interested after our sim round in a couple weekends I believe.

Can't believe I'm saying this...

Ohio trumps Michigan when it comes to roller coaster parks, indoor & outdoor water parks, and zoo's. Cedar Point is hands down the best roller coaster park, Kalahari is an awesome indoor water park, and the Toledo Zoo is ten times better than that of the Detroit Zoo.

That's about it though.

All it takes is the Toledo zoo to beat Detroit? Yikes

Can't believe I'm saying this...

Ohio trumps Michigan when it comes to roller coaster parks, indoor & outdoor water parks, and zoo's. Cedar Point is hands down the best roller coaster park, Kalahari is an awesome indoor water park, and the Toledo Zoo is ten times better than that of the Detroit Zoo.

That's about it though.

This is coming from someone that spend the first 2/3 of my life living in Ohio. I'd never move back. I've traveled all over this country for work and can honestly say I could live anywhere in the US and I still choose Grand Rapids, MI. The state of Michigan just has so much more to offer (other than Cedar Point) in my opinion. Add that to the fact that Detroit is going through a revival right now, in 5-10 years or so, I don't think Detroit will be the joke of Michigan. But it's all subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rankings! Rankings!

I do not think it as unreasonable as a requirement to have an official verifiable handicap.
I plan on actually playing golf this year and fully intend on signing up through THP.

With that said, I think the slight pile on about league Handicaps, Sober Handicaps, Drinking Handicaps, course handicaps, Tuesday handicaps, or whatever could be solved by doing so.

FWIW my league "Handicap" last year was a 9. And was rounded up.
It was calculated by last 5 scores in the league, and to a percentage of par.
Is it POSSIBLE that some other guys league "Handicaps" were figured in a similar way?

So what do I put down?
9 or 47?...

Last edited:
There it is CJ is in for a 9. See this is easy

I do not think it as unreasonable as a requirement to have an official verifiable handicap.
I plan on actually playing golf this year and fully intend on signing up through THP.

With that said, I think the slight pile on about league Handicaps, Sober Handicaps, Drinking Handicaps, course handicaps, Tuesday handicaps, or whatever could be solved by doing so.

Is it POSSIBLE that some other guys league "Handicaps" we're figured in a similar way?

So what do I put down?
9 or 47?...

Was is a 9 hole league? meaning your 18 hole index would be 18?

Was is a 9 hole league? meaning your 18 hole index would be 18?

It was 9 hole league and each nine figures as "a round"
It's run by a bunch of old timers who have been doing it this way since the dawn of time, and it is figured to so that a couple of the old guys get max strokes.

So no matter what side we play, the scores are entered, and the "handicap" is created.

I just looked up that high and low scores also are dropped from consideration...

Updated rankings

A slow week for Team OH as there was not much golf played, so only updated with those that commented about playing.. heres a few of the highlights/changes

Dave Winchell-He has ascended to #1 (even though there are no number specific rankings) solely because I want to torture him for taking a 9 week honeymoon. Plus I saw him hit a ball THROUGH a tree on a sim, thats Harry Potter style magic
Tyjohnston-Climbed onto the list after he resurrected from the dead, but then was removed Saturday after the no-show.
Ntanygd760-Moved up in the rankings after avoiding taking a 20+ on any hole at the sim. He was also crazy enough I believe to stick around there for some range time afterwards.
Robozeo-Continues to move up the rankings for his shear dedication/craziness to spend 4 hours in the car to play sim golf. I also believe he had a sweet chip in as well.
The Sim Machine-Was pretty cool, but has fallen off the rankings after not registering EASILY my 2 best swings of the day....EFF YOU
Cbaker2882-I think he played well and went into like triple sudden death, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY he showed up without a staff bag...#MovingUp
Certifiable-Dude shot 75 in his sim round, would have beat me by like 60...moving up!
PhillyV-Saw some really solid swings this weekend, moved up to #35 after a solid round, but then moved down to #41 after we found out he had used Sim Cheat Codes to beat Dave and I.

PinSlayer216--Moving up...dude is an ANIMAL with the 3W off the deck, however that group had way too much "Mulligan" talk for my liking.

Honorable Mention to robman7-Keeps the streak of Dean girls alive (up to #4), but there was OBVIOUSLY some shenanigans with the grab bags so you are on the decline.

Hickerad-Snow on the ground, no club house, you are officially 1 spot below PhillyV

Is it POSSIBLE that some other guys league "Handicaps" were figured in a similar way?

So what do I put down?
9 or 47?...

I dont think it was about that and I would like to think I did a pretty good job of nipping any pile up in the bud.
But it wasnt just about a league handicap of 9 holes. Someone said they have an actual USGA handicap of 2. But feel as though its double that and then changed their index on the forum accordingly.

My point was that we simply cannot do indexes like that unfortunately and certainly not to pile on. Because we all know, regardless of side or where it happens, if a THPer did that for an event they would be crucified post event. If everybody just gave what they thought their traveling handicap was, the purity of THP Events and competitive nature that #THPRegionalRivalry has, would be gone.

I dont have a dog in this fight, but I do have a dog in the fight of fair, honest and fun. Those are the 3 things we search for, especially when there is something pretty large on the line.

I've missed a ton of this thread and just catching back up.

QUOTE=mikedean441;4201864]ATTENTION OHIO HOPEFULS

Since we wont have time for a "draft combine" I would like anyone interested in making the team to answer these questions via PM (you can post them here too, but I want a PM so I can keep tabs easier).

1. What is your current index?
2. What is your goal index wise by the time of the event?
3. What do you consider are your strengths of your golf game?
4. What are your weaknesses that you need to improve?
5. What kind of player are you teammate wise when playing alongside a fellow teammate?
6. What is your plan to help assure your team is victorious in June?
7. Why do you want to be apart of this team?
8. Why should I pick you?
[/QUOTE]

1. I'm not carrying a current GHIN but I'll get on it, guessing I'm still around a 21-25

2. 12 or less is my goal and I know I can get there as long as I keep working

3. Iron play and short game

4. Tee game and keeping mentally in the shot/hole/round

5. I'm supportive of my partners and try to keep it fun

6. Continue my lessons, practice and play with more of a purpose than I ever have, goal is to hit a minimum of 300 balls a week.

7. I wanna have a great time, represent my state, play competitive golf and kick the crap out of Michigan on the course

8. My game will be ready for the event, I will rep team Ohio/THP and True Temper on social media like a boss.

I think that is what everyone here wants is good honest fun!
I am looking forward to this event if I get in or not, and look forward to seeing my OheyO friends.

With that being said, the 47 is not accurate.
Let's go with 42! Because I play the best and toughest (outside of Texas) courses, and we all know they are in Northern Michigan!

Updated rankings

A slow week for Team OH as there was not much golf played, so only updated with those that commented about playing.. heres a few of the highlights/changes

Dave Winchell-He has ascended to #1 (even though there are no number specific rankings) solely because I want to torture him for taking a 9 week honeymoon. Plus I saw him hit a ball THROUGH a tree on a sim, thats Harry Potter style magic
Tyjohnston-Climbed onto the list after he resurrected from the dead, but then was removed Saturday after the no-show.
Ntanygd760-Moved up in the rankings after avoiding taking a 20+ on any hole at the sim. He was also crazy enough I believe to stick around there for some range time afterwards.
Robozeo-Continues to move up the rankings for his shear dedication/craziness to spend 4 hours in the car to play sim golf. I also believe he had a sweet chip in as well.
The Sim Machine-Was pretty cool, but has fallen off the rankings after not registering EASILY my 2 best swings of the day....EFF YOU
Cbaker2882-I think he played well and went into like triple sudden death, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY he showed up without a staff bag...#MovingUp
Certifiable-Dude shot 75 in his sim round, would have beat me by like 60...moving up!
PhillyV-Saw some really solid swings this weekend, moved up to #35 after a solid round, but then moved down to #41 after we found out he had used Sim Cheat Codes to beat Dave and I.

PinSlayer216--Moving up...dude is an ANIMAL with the 3W off the deck, however that group had way too much "Mulligan" talk for my liking.

Honorable Mention to robman7-Keeps the streak of Dean girls alive (up to #4), but there was OBVIOUSLY some shenanigans with the grab bags so you are on the decline.

Hickerad-Snow on the ground, no club house, you are officially 1 spot below PhillyV

Yes...Cbaker took my 2vs1 best ball match into triple overtime and won on the randomized hole chosen n by the Korean lady. Par 3...177 all carry with a 49ft drop. Lol. I will say my 3 wood was making people say "gunner would have carried the pond" on the last hole...but at least I went for it. Hah...265 off the deck on a sim...in a final hole situation should lend to some power rank at least. Good times and good rankings this week although I'm sure gunner is sad he was forgotten...

#dontmakethebigmansad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated rankings

So you're saying my six holes at even par didn't count? Damnit.

I need to find a sim to go all Certifiable on some Torrey Pines.

ATTENTION MICHIGAN HOPEFULS!

Not to piggyback on Mikes questions but I too have some questions I need Michigan Hopefuls to answer! Please send me a PM and you can copy in this thread as well if you wish. Please be honest with your answers, I realize this is the internet, but it will only help me build the best team I can.

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time?

2. What do you do best on the golf course?

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course?

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past?

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe?

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy?

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)?

Quoting this for afternoon crowd

So you're saying my six holes at even par didn't count? Damnit.

I need to find a sim to go all Certifiable on some Torrey Pines.

I must have missed it, you crazy rascals are hard to keep track of sometime

updated list of those that have replied to my questions:

PhillyV
Cbaker2882
Bullfrog
Mmaynard11
Gunner
Grins
Ntanygd760
Pinslayer216
The Milk Man
Misike
Certifiable
Robozeo
Canadan
Robman7
CaptainCaution
GolfinFF

And in case you missed it, below are the questions again (please send via PM as well):

1. What is your current index?
2. What is your goal index wise by the time of the event?
3. What do you consider are your strengths of your golf game?
4. What are your weaknesses that you need to improve?
5. What kind of player are you teammate wise when playing alongside a fellow teammate?
6. What is your plan to help assure your team is victorious in June?
7. Why do you want to be apart of this team?
8. Why should I pick you?

Updated rankings

I stayed for an hour and just did range mode. Straightened out some of the left issues with everything but the driver. Then just hit 5 stock shots with every club figuring out carry yards, average carry, lowest carry and my stat nerd said figured out some standard deviation of yards for each club when it comes to carry

Yeah I made the list I might be last but that just leads room for improvement

I dont think it was about that and I would like to think I did a pretty good job of nipping any pile up in the bud.
But it wasnt just about a league handicap of 9 holes. Someone said they have an actual USGA handicap of 2. But feel as though its double that and then changed their index on the forum accordingly.

My point was that we simply cannot do indexes like that unfortunately and certainly not to pile on. Because we all know, regardless of side or where it happens, if a THPer did that for an event they would be crucified post event. If everybody just gave what they thought their traveling handicap was, the purity of THP Events and competitive nature that #THPRegionalRivalry has, would be gone.

I dont have a dog in this fight, but I do have a dog in the fight of fair, honest and fun. Those are the 3 things we search for, especially when there is something pretty large on the line.
Wait are you talking about me? I have been using oob to enter winter scores and that is in profile. GHIN is 2 but missing scores from not winter. None of that actually will matter due to the fact I will have 20 new counting rounds on GHIN before it even gets to May.

Back