RetiredBoomer

Reaction score
Every once in a while I look up "custom fairway woods" on the internet and get a lot of hits. I open up the webpage--any one of them--and I see under "specs" a matrix with loft, lie, and face angle. Lovely. What the hell is custom? The shaft and grip? EVERY fairway wood is available with custom shaft and grip. The matrix for loft, lie, and face angle (and clubhead weight) should be blank for the customer to fill in. That's custom. The stamping should be custom as well. I want to see the actual loft (not a loft before bending) and no phony club number.

Well, Kamuiworks of Japan is actually offering that now through the "Tour Spec" webpage. No prices are quoted. It seems that if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it. But at least they're offering it.

What do you say, Callaway, Cobra, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, and Wilson? You've been called out. Is a small company in Japan identifying you as second rate?

I don't understand your end game. As most people have stated, it just isn't profitable for big OEMs to do this.

If you want this type of stuff, buy from the smaller companies. It really is that simple. For the VAST majority of golfers we don't care about seeing actual loft or "phony" club numbers. The OEMs cater to the majority of golfers, that easy.

Interesting concept. I think the other brands will be ok tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too inefficient cost and production wise for major companies to do anywhere close to this. So no, there is no "second rate" part to this for the major OEM's. An extremely large portion of the golfing community gets along just fine with what they already put out.

Glad you're enjoying your time on THP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No prices are quoted. It seems that if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it. But at least they're offering it.

What do you say, Callaway, Cobra, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, and Wilson? You've been called out. Is a small company in Japan identifying you as second rate?
Yeah, some company having product that most people can't afford is really going to hurt the OEM's.

I don't understand your end game. As most people have stated, it just isn't profitable for big OEMs to do this.

If you want this type of stuff, buy from the smaller companies. It really is that simple. For the VAST majority of golfers we don't care about seeing actual loft or "phony" club numbers. The OEMs cater to the majority of golfers, that easy.

That is the beauty of this. Choices. For all of the knock on releases, lofts, this and that.
The beauty is all of those things are and bring choices to the consumer.

OP,
You said you prefer it this way, so here is the option to do so. It shouldnt have to be (and never will be) that every brand put out the same stuff. You found the perfect thing for you, and here it is.

I don't think its calling any OEM out (or even a blip on their radar), rather its trying to sensationally HOPE to find a niche, which is a-ok.

I'm betting they're all shaking in their boots! This has to be the number one topic talked about in their meetings.

Callaway execs are probably calling TMag as we speak! Nike and Cobra are probably going to have to merge to even compete with Kamuiworks. I can't even imagine the mass chaos going on right now

It's great to have options as a consumer, no matter what country or company they originate from.

Way too inefficient cost and production wise for major companies to do anywhere close to this. So no, there is no "second rate" part to this for the major OEM's. An extremely large portion of the golfing community gets along just fine with what they already put out.

I guess the "second rate" part is something that we each have to decide for ourselves.

I understand that this kind of service isn't conducive to mass manufacturing.

So to me, the question becomes, Is mass-manufacturing and in-stock inventory the best route for golf clubs? For most, it may be, but only from a pure cost perspective. From a quality perspective, I personally will never believe it. It's the difference between an off-the-rack suit and a custom tailored one.
The irony is that the component club people who are just measuring you for length, shaft, and grip have the unmitigated nerve to compare THEIR product to custom made suits! You see it right in the ads.

One other point. The pros who get their equipment for free DO get this service from the big OEMs to whom they're contracted. It's only the paying customer who's asked to pound sand.

By the way, we're just having fun sharing our opinions. Grumpy old man is my role here. I certainly bear no ill feelings to the majority who disagree, so I hope that everyone realizes that.

I guess the "second rate" part is something that we each have to decide for ourselves.

So to me, the question becomes, Is mass-manufacturing and in-stock inventory the best route for golf clubs? For most, it may be, but only from a pure cost perspective. From a quality perspective, I personally will never believe it. It's the difference between an off-the-rack suit and a custom tailored one.
The irony is that the component club people who are just measuring you for length, shaft, and grip have the unmitigated nerve to compare THEIR product to custom made suits! You see it right in the ads.

One other point. The pros who get their equipment for free DO get this service from the big OEMs to whom they're contracted. It's only the paying customer who's asked to pound sand.

Another point can be asked like this.
Is having an actual R&D team matter?
Or having 3 guys working out of a house just as good?

There is more to club manufacturing than meets the eye and anybody that thinks that nothing has changed in the last 10 years is certainly okay to believe it, but they are not accurate.

But the beauty here is that you found exactly what you are looking for. It shouldnt matter if another company does it. Here it is for the taking, exactly what you want. All you have to do is order it.

Ok, then if you feel that completely custom tailored clubs are the best way to go, then do it. But using your same suit analogy, don't expect to pay anywhere near the same amount for the completely custom tailored suit as for the off the rack suit. If you want what you describe as the "first rate" custom club service, you're going to have to pay for it. There are small club makers that will do exactly what you're saying.

Won't PING basically do this through their WRX department? I know you can get woods digitally lofted (they'll find one with the exact loft you're looking for), and the face angle is adjustable via the adapter. They'll also put pretty much any shaft you want in there. Of course, this is all for a cost. Most OEMs will adjust for weight if you ask them (through the custom dept. or a dealer, not via the web page). As for the comment about numbers on the bottom of clubs - to me that's just so I know which one it is, and I don't have to remember whether "Mashie" or "Spoon" is the longer of the two.

Won't PING basically do this through their WRX department? I know you can get woods digitally lofted (they'll find one with the exact loft you're looking for), and the face angle is adjustable via the adapter. They'll also put pretty much any shaft you want in there. Of course, this is all for a cost. Most OEMs will adjust for weight if you ask them (through the custom dept. or a dealer, not via the web page). As for the comment about numbers on the bottom of clubs - to me that's just so I know which one it is, and I don't have to remember whether "Mashie" or "Spoon" is the longer of the two.

Or Cool Clubs, Hot Stix, Club Champion, etc.

I look great in my off the rack suit, just saying

Not to beat this to death, but JB makes a good point.

The boutique companies will never have the R&D horsepower of the major OEMS, so the latter get the nod for technology.

So what has the more serious effect on your game--technology or fit? We must each determine that for ourselves.

I obviously give up a ton of technology with my vintage Titleist PTs because the fit is so much better for me.

The boutique companies will never have the R&D horsepower of the major OEMS, so the latter get the nod for technology.

So what has the more serious effect on your game--technology or fit? We must each determine that for ourselves.

I obviously give up a ton of technology with my vintage Titleist PTs because the fit is so much better for me.

They are not mutually exclusive if you ask me.
I can go to just about any major OEM and get fit for virtually any shaft, get completely fit down to what works and what doesnt.
I dont care what loft is written vs what it is, because I know they will put it where it needs to be after my fitting.

So in this instance, I get full R&D and the full fitting and know I am playing the best for my game.

If I cared more about cosmetics and numbering, there are places out there that do that too.

Its the best part about choices.

For all of the knocks on releases, etc.
All they do is help consumers with more choices and prices coming down.

Genuine question...have you ever even tried modern woods or equipment? Like an honest on course try for a round or two. Or because they don't make them how you think you want them, you don't even look at them?

I don't see the point in overly customized golf clubs -- Especially when, as a consumer, I'm switching each club at least once every couple years if not sooner. I also don't think I need something fine tuned at the tour level to have success with it.. Give me any club from any manufacturer and I can probably hit a fairway or green with it. With so many options out there, I am confident I can find a stock setup (with my shafts of course) that suit my game beautifully. The pass here would be on the putter, but that's just personal preference.

If I don't like a club, it's exceptionally easy to move it or swap it. Why anyone would want to buy a club customized and personalized for me is beyond me.

I dont give a rat's a** what number is marked on ym club, as long as I know how long it goes and the gaps are fine, I'm good.

now if that kind of thing is important to you, feel free to spend all the money you want

These forums are no fun at all if we all see it the same way, right?

Every set of clubs that I've owned since my hand-me-down, hickory-shafted, Spalding Bobby Jones set was able to play better golf than I could.

As opinionated as I am about equipment--which is simply a fascinating subject to me--I am not sufficiently delusional to not recognize that.

I don't see the point in overly customized golf clubs -- Especially when, as a consumer, I'm switching each club at least once every couple years if not sooner. I also don't think I need something fine tuned at the tour level to have success with it.. Give me any club from any manufacturer and I can probably hit a fairway or green with it. With so many options out there, I am confident I can find a stock setup (with my shafts of course) that suit my game beautifully. The pass here would be on the putter, but that's just personal preference.

If I don't like a club, it's exceptionally easy to move it or swap it. Why anyone would want to buy a club customized and personalized for me is beyond me.

The operative here is that you plan on switching pretty frequently (as most of us here do), but there is definitely a segment (including a few here) who stick with clubs for quite a long time, so I can totally understand wanting to get something perfect if you're going to game it for 3+ years.

Also, I cannot overstate the importance of the "look how awesome my stuff is" segment. Sometimes just knowing the club is custom can give people a warm fuzzy because they feel special, and that's completely OK if you're willing to pay for it.

Genuine question...have you ever even tried modern woods or equipment? Like an honest on course try for a round or two. Or because they don't make them how you think you want them, you don't even look at them?

That is a genuine question. When the Titleist 975F came out to replace the original Titleist PT, I loved the looks of them. They had a beautiful 18.5º model which could replace both my seventeen and my twenty. The faces were still square--I don't HAVE to have slightly open--but the lie angles were made more upright because now technology was talking about something called "shaft droop."

Well, I hooked the sucker because it was too upright and the hosels weren't bendable. In order to make the club fit, I had to go shorter and that removed distance from the club as well.

At that point, in fairness to your question, my mind may have been closed a little bit.

Back