TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Yep. Matrix Black Tie 60m4.

The guy at the store when I returned it yesterday games the black tie himself, the previous black tie m3. His exact words to me were "it's a night and day different shaft with the same name." Now, I've never swung the m3 so can't comment on it myself, but I've swung many stout low spin / low launch shafts (as that's my preference for my swing), and this felt lighter and softer than all of them.

Sent from this Tapatalk app thingy

Sounds like you might be the perfect candidate for one of the THP Custom Shaft Events this year.

I would check that black tie. I have a feeling something is off there. I have a pretty darn fast swing and aggressive transition and the black tie is one of the harshest stiffest shafts I have ever touched.
This coming from someone that likes the stiff stiff profiles

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That very well could be the case. But, it's already been returned and I've mentally given it a vote of no confidence. There's no coming back from that.

If you guys are ever in LA, I'm there.

We have a handful of West Coast events including the Project X HandCrafted Experience right at their HQ in San Diego.

I just did an M1 fitting at the TM PDC in Madison and the 70M4 was one of the shafts I was fit into. It was very solid, felt much like the Tour Green. the Rogue Silver felt much more buttery/good to me. All X flex

The M2 looks like a Fly Z copycat. Has anyone compared the M2 with last year's Cobra Fly Z?

The M2 looks like a Fly Z copycat. Has anyone compared the M2 with last year's Cobra Fly Z?
CG is in a different location, and crown material being different has allowed for weight to be in a significantly different configuration.... Among other things. They're different beasts. Seriously.

CG is in a different location, abd crown material being different has allowed for weight to be in a significantly different configuration.... Among other things. They're different beasts. Seriously.

Thanks, Interesting.....I have not tried the M2 yet....but will give it a go to see if I can feel any difference.

I had an impromptu stop off in a local golf store today and got hitting a few drivers in their testing bay with trackman. Wanted to try Ping G, Cobra LTD and XR16 Pro but they didn't have a XR16 set up so I picked up a M2 to make up the numbers.

I've actively disliked the Taylormade brand over the past few years so I was a bit prejudiced going in but I have to admit that the M2 performed the best of the lot.... and looked the best at address... and sounded the best. Gonna find somewhere to test properly with my cobra present to provide a baseline etc, but this club is the real deal and will be the top of my shortlist.

Really jacked to get this one in the bag, love the feedback some of you guys are sharing.

A couple of questions.

I had heard the shafts are made for and some have said they are the real deal. Does anyone know for sure?
Also, the forgiveness of this v the xr16? Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions.

I had heard the shafts are made for and some have said they are the real deal. Does anyone know for sure?
Also, the forgiveness of this v the xr16? Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on the shafts at the moment. But as soon as I get this one in hand, I can give you direct comparison to the XR16

I'd definitely encourage everyone to try out a few shafts with this driver, ultimately when I put a Chrome Elements+ in it the club just exceeded my expectations.

Received my Golf Magazine issue yesterday and it contained reviews for 2016 drivers, one of which was the M2. I've quoted the comments below that I found most intriguing, as those of you that have hit this driver have commented about it's forgiveness and consistency -- and not just in terms of distance, but in terms of dispersion. So I'll ask the question for those of you that are/have tested this driver, what happens on your mishits? Are they wild left-right but hold distance? Remain pretty tight but lack distance? Both?

Full article here: http://www.golf.com/equipment/taylormade-m2-driver-review-clubtest-2016

CONS: The lightish clubhead can be tough to track during the swing, which leads to squirrelly contact; the look is polarizing, and some testers are slow to warm up to it; a few panelists expect more directional forgiveness -- it hits for power more than average.

BOTTOM LINE: In the right hands, with the right swing, the TaylorMade M2 driver can launch it a long way. That'll most likely be lower-handicappers, or those players after long-drive bragging rights. It's better than last year's AeroBurner, but many testers say the same thing: Pay up and try its big brother, the M1.

Can't comment on the shafts at the moment. But as soon as I get this one in hand, I can give you direct comparison to the XR16

That would be great, thank you.

Received my Golf Magazine issue yesterday and it contained reviews for 2016 drivers, one of which was the M2. I've quoted the comments below that I found most intriguing, as those of you that have hit this driver have commented about it's forgiveness and consistency -- and not just in terms of distance, but in terms of dispersion. So I'll ask the question for those of you that are/have tested this driver, what happens on your mishits? Are they wild left-right but hold distance? Remain pretty tight but lack distance? Both?

Full article here: http://www.golf.com/equipment/taylormade-m2-driver-review-clubtest-2016
In my minimal demo-ing the misses were all one way (right) and no bigger than my other drivers, usually a bit less. Distance was very solid on the misses for me.
My miss is typically a ball of the mid/high heel.

Love the golf magazine for the club pics and reading material while on the pooper, at least that was 5-10 years ago, now I bring the IPad and search the hackers paradise and read daily. Much more informative. I still like to go by the magazine rack at HEB and look at the reviews, but the info is so much better here. Supposedly by most of the reviews here the M2 is a slightly more forgiving driver than the M1 with the weight set all the way back and is slightly lighter, which suits me to a tee. I played an M1 for about a month and found it to be very forgiving. As soon as I buy my M2, I'll let you know what happens on mishits, if I have any, lol. Thanks for the info about Golf Magazine, I still enjoy checking it out.

Excited for this one to start rolling, going to be some fun feedback coming in.

Any info on what shafts are available for the M2?

Looks mine will be in early next week and I can get it out immediately.

Any info on what shafts are available for the M2?
There's a list on Taylormades site. It includes Rogue Silver and Black, Hzrdus, Kuro Kage, Tensei, Fujikura and Matrix lineup.

I must say, it looks good in hand.

DSC_0985-XL.jpg

Curiosity. Cat. You know the rest.

Back