Marketing Shafts - What Would You Do?

I would issue a shaft challenge club fitting event. I would make sure to leak photos of the shafts without any specific markings, but ones that could hardly be conclusive as to what brand it was, but clearly showed artistically, and lots of buzz phrases all over social media. I would work on getting some decently known tour players or very well known tour players as well to be in on it. I would also have a date posted, and purposefully would not divulge too much information. The date in question would be the announcement of the release of the name and beginning of the shaft challenge. I would work with all big and small alike golf retailers to help with marketing of the event in stores. The key would be to generate enough buzz to get peoples attention wanting to find out more and lining up at the stores to check it out. I would also hold a giveaway to lucky participants to get a set of clubs of their choice outfitted with the shafts that they were fit for and liked the best. It would be by a random drawing for each local area. for instance, if I were to hold one in Los angeles, I would arrange to do a drawing for that main city area of one maybe two lucky participants. They would win a set of clubs valued at say $700, $1000 or $1500 whatever the cost. A grand prize winner for the U.S. would be chosen and selected for a golf fitting experience like no other. Full professional fitting by the best in the business, invitation to play on a famous top course with maybe a tour pro or two, or maybe just a hot female pro golfer or both just because.. The event would be Where golfers of all types could come and try out the shafts in all the latest equipment on the market.

I would also work with local golf country clubs to hold events there as well where players could sign up and actually play the shafts on their home course in a set of clubs of their choice of what is the latest equipment out. I would work with the OEMS as well to help sponsor the events.

Of course this would all cost a pretty penny, so hopefully getting oems and the like to help sponsor and foot parts of the bill would be key. Not only that, but the stores involved could also help sponsor as part of their marketing as well, because the buzz generated could drive sales to the store.

Lets say you were put into the position of CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) of a shaft company. The company specializes in iron shafts, but has a full portfolio of products. Your job would be to create a marketing plan that would challenge the consumers to target the brand and make the OEMs want to have your products in their clubs.

What would you lay out as a way to reach the golfer?

I would do some research in to the golf world. I would focus on two things. I would focus on who is buying shafts. I wouldn't focus strictly on my company. I would look in to the market and see who is replacing the shafts on their clubs. There are a lot of golfers out there that buy factory clubs and keep them that way.

That comes to the second part. I would find out why the people that are buying shafts are doing it. There are guys like myself that bought older clubs with shafts that were un educated about the shaft that I needed. I bought a club and found out later that my swing speed is way too fast for the regular shaft. So now I am looking at new shafts for my driver and 3 wood. You have to find out is that is the majority. Maybe wear and tear of factory shafts is your money maker. You have to do the research to find that out.

If shaft education is your main seller then maybe thats something you could focus on. You could make a portion of your website that was meant to educate the everyday consumer on why they should look in to replacing their shaft. Maybe you should pick a few golfers and show the difference between a stock stiff shaft and a shaft of your brand. Take them to a range. Have them fitted with one of your shafts and show the difference. You could put the idea that changing the shaft is something that could help the everyday golfer just as much as the many equipment w***s that may or may not be in this forum. (love you guys)

Or you could go to your favorite niche market and find a golf forum that has golfers that know what they are talking about. You could give them a few free shafts and ask for reviews in exchange for the shafts. (ok so that was a bit of a personal solution. Can you blame a guy for trying?)

Lots of great ideas in this thread. I think Ron and War Eagle hit the nail on the head. Getting out to the consumer in a demo day like fashion and stealing a page from Bridgestone's playbook, get out and fit consumers for the right shaft and show them the performance difference (assuming you have a better product). Promote and market the events on social media like crazy, as I don't think OEMs do a good job of letting consumers know when/where their demo days are taking place. Work with the clubs or big box stores to promote the events as well. Why not add in at each fitting event, a random draw where someone would win a free set of new iron shafts for whatever they were fit for?

Does the company deal largely in graphite or steel shafts? There's less of it than there was a few years ago, but there's still a bit of a stigma that graphite shafts are "old guy shafts". Mission #1 in that case is to make my case to the pros. I know they can't be gaudy, but I'd find a way to make them classic looking while still standing out on TV as being different.

For the average consumer, that's harder. Maybe find an OEM to partner with to get the club/shaft combination front and center in stores. I think the vast, vast majority of golfers shop for a club, not a fitting, so just having it in the demo cart isn't going to do it.

The company can deal with either, they make both so the focus would primarily be up to you.

I would get the shafts in the hands of the everyday golfer that has an understanding of how the shaft works in the golf club. So I'd start with a questionnaire to gather that data. Once compiled I'd send the shafts out to the consumer. I'd also get them in the hands of the designers of clubs at the OEMS so they could see how my shaft interact with their clubs. I would budget to get these in a few lower tier pros hands. The guys that still play at their local clubs with the members. The members that want to get close to the firstborn second year pro and will hang on his every word. And I would talk fun so the consumer would understand that the shaft makes the game fun and enjoyable.

If that's the case, maybe I make my business working with OEMs, developing a shaft to best fit the head - similar to what companies have done with PING. but with an aim of getting partnerships to the point where you can do something like XXIO is doing - serving as part of the design team to make an entire club.

I hate to call it focusing on the "low end", but outside of working in the boutique/high end space (like Grandura), it might be one way to break in to the industry. There are quite a few heavyweights in this space currently.

Lets say you were put into the position of CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) of a shaft company. The company specializes in iron shafts, but has a full portfolio of products. Your job would be to create a marketing plan that would challenge the consumers to target the brand and make the OEMs want to have your products in their clubs.

What would you lay out as a way to reach the golfer?

Take advantage of social media, get involved with the average joes. Advertise on major golf outlets during big tournaments that people watch, get your logo out there. If they remember your logo they are more likely either look for it or stop and look when they see it. Signage at a store can also get peoples attention. Also maybe offer some sort of incentive to try their product? People like free stuff.

This is such a tough one since many play off the shelf just according to flex. Have to be able to show them the benefits and why the cost is worth it. Would try to do something unique with aesthetics since that does in fact have a difference in what sells.

Definitely need to focus on fitting. People need to understand how much difference the right shaft makes. Also probably have a touring van that goes to shops and demo days, need to get the product out there.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Get out in the stores and courses with reps and SHOW people the difference a properly fit shaft makes. The tour presence is awesome as well but that will only touch some.

I think if you target the consumer direct through social media, advertising and getting the product in their hand with the correct information you have a winning formula.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't think i can really say it better than this. I agree with Ron 100%.

Better connection with OEMs to showcase shafts in DEMO days. If not, bring your own showcase to DEMO days, as it stands now, each OEM only care about carrying the "made-for" shafts.
To penetrate the every day market you gotta get to where most people who can get exposure to the shafts with hands on experience.

One more thought. Do we have access to client info for people who have our shafts in their irons? If so, that is a great place to start - Emails and other targeted marketing to people who already have a positive experience with our product.

One more thought. Do we have access to client info for people who have our shafts in their irons? If so, that is a great place to start - Emails and other targeted marketing to people who already have a positive experience with our product.

That is part of marketing, so that would be up to you.

I think there is an opportunity in the iron shaft world to get more users to adopt graphite shafts. There seems to be some momentum occurring as a couple of pros have started using them, and some of more seasoned players are recognizing the benefits on our joints. Cost is the biggest hurdle. If you can buy them installed with a new set there is only a modest increase. May be a hang up for some, but less so than those that have to reshaft an existing set. Really cost prohibitive if you buy them as a replacement and have to get them installed. Nearly as much as just buying new irons. So unless you are one of the shafts offered by the OEMs the sales job gets tough.

So how do you appeal to reshafters, or new buyers when they are not offered as an upgrade by the OEM? Callaway has shown how successful a good social media campaign can be. But, you still have the cost factor with reshafting, either existing clubs or at the point they buy new ones. So, maybe a campaign with some major retailers rebating the labor cost of the reshaft. Maybe even do a try it for 30 days, and if they are not right reinstall the previous shafts at no cost guarantee. Coupled these with some in store demos to generate interest.

Post LM Numbers...

For marketing?
Whos? Why?
My exact thoughts. 15 golfers swing the same shaft and we'll get 15 different results. Now add in the dozens of heads that can be used and LM numbers are pointless

I think there has to be some numbers tied to it, like shaft weight, effect on swing weight, flex in numbers rather than senior,r,s and x, kick points and torque. These need to be translated into layman's terms, like high launch, etc. I got my steel fiber because the marketing guy was nice enough to bolt an iron head on it and have me compare that with one with a steel shaft. Give some technical information about the product, and find a way for the customer to try it.

I think targetting some of the guys with relatively large YouTube prescence is a good start then also hitting up the magazines/ websites that the average Joe might look at/ watch. It's important to get the shafts in to the hands of people that (as long as the equipment is good enough) can have an influence over the average golfer.

The main problem with trying to convince the masses is that most golfers don't really necessarily care what shaft they have. Regular or Stiff is good enough for them. Targeting clubs and possibly offering up free re-shafting for competition or tournament winners might help to spread via word of mouth at a more grass roots level. It's also important to be able to have test clubs that have your shaft in them at driving ranges and maybe getting the pros to use your club as the default when offering to players.

On a side from that, a Social Media prescence is so important now, that to not consider it would be reckless.

Have mobile shaft fitting days, similar to the Bridgestone ball fitting days and spread out across the country.
Along with the above, have an online shaft fitting site.
Shaft wraps or paint mixes that allow for additional color and logo customization.

Number one rule would be to oversimplify the jargon into what profile each shaft fits. Swing speed, ball flight, dispersion, shaft A is likely fit for you, etc, etc. CPM, tip stiffness, blah, blah, blah, is over the head of the vast majority of buyers. They want easy answers to questions.

For marketing?
Whos? Why?

Post LM numbers of golfers gamer shaft, then post numbers of a shaft your marketing, from there buyers can see results. Show many golfers and perhaps it would show definitive results.

Post LM numbers of golfers gamer shaft, then post numbers of the shaft your marketing, from there buyers can see results.

Where would you do it?
That is just it. You are in charge of ALL marketing for the company.

Considering that most golfers that buy equipment still do not get fit or hit on launch monitors, those numbers are going to be completely foreign. So that means education would have to come first and that is an expensive task to reach the golfer.

Where would you do it?
That is just it. You are in charge of ALL marketing for the company.

Considering that most golfers that buy equipment still do not get fit or hit on launch monitors, those numbers are going to be completely foreign. So that means education would have to come first and that is an expensive task to reach the golfer.

Get 10 different golfers, go to a range with a LM and make a video production, from there anyone can view it. I know its not them, however they might compare themselves to a particular test golfer and buy the shaft...the more shafts out there that are being hit well, might make a snowball effect

Back