2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw, on all squats, the back angle is whatever is necessary to keep the bar over mid foot. That feeling is much easier to grasp at heavier weights.
That would change depending on ones height / proportions correct?

That would change depending on ones height / proportions correct?
Yes

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

After a couple of days due to a sore knee and the New Year's holiday, I got one of my individual workouts in. Was able to work right at the gym and had the entrie place to myself.

Started with cardio, followed by squats and then some of the balance exercises that I have been working on. Starting to see a lot of improvement in my balance, but still a lot of room for improvement.

How many sets and reps do you guys like to do per exercise?

How many sets and reps do you guys like to do per exercise?
Lots of variables. Training history being one of the biggest. After that, a lot has to do with goals and programming.

Lots of variables. Training history being one of the biggest. After that, a lot has to do with goals and programming.

Gotcha. Normally I do 6 sets of 8 reps then once a week I do light weight and 20 reps with 4 sets. I have no program I just lift things and put them down.

What about "rest days". How often and can you over train.

Gotcha. Normally I do 6 sets of 8 reps then once a week I do light weight and 20 reps with 4 sets. I have no program I just lift things and put them down.

What about "rest days". How often and can you over train.
For the big bar lifts. Sets of 5 are ideal. Rest days should be just that. Rest. Now, if you're on an upper/lower split, make sure you're not working specific movements back to back days and there is a complete off day somewhere in there.

Remember, we don't get stronger lifting weights. We get stronger recovering from lifting weights.

I'm on a slightly different program with a focus on weight loss. I'm doing ten sets of three reps with forty seconds rest between sets.
For the big bar lifts. Sets of 5 are ideal. Rest days should be just that. Rest. Now, if you're on an upper/lower split, make sure you're not working specific movements back to back days and there is a complete off day somewhere in there.

Remember, we don't get stronger lifting weights. We get stronger recovering from lifting weights.

Anyone ever try Tabata? Did it on Saturday it is death

Hit Chest and Triceps today. Forgot how good it feels to workout in the morning.

Then did 30 minutes of Cardio. As much as I am enjoying seeing results from the cardio, I am so excited to be back lifting everyday again.

Hit Chest and Triceps today. Forgot how good it feels to workout in the morning.

Then did 30 minutes of Cardio. As much as I am enjoying seeing results from the cardio, I am so excited to be back lifting everyday again.

What was the program today?

Anyone ever try Tabata? Did it on Saturday it is death
Part of my job is to run agility workouts for the athletes on campus. We did Tabata 1 day in the session and the athletes were completely exhausted after 15-20 minutes. It is a great workout.

What was the program today?

I did:

Bench Press- 3X8
Incline Bench- 3X8
Dumbbell Fly- 3X10
Pushups- 3X10

Bench Dip with Weight on Legs- 3X12
Barbell Tricep Extension- 3X10
Tricep Pushdown- 3X10
Dumbbell Standing Tricep Extension- 3X10

Anything you would change?

Anything you would change?

Bench Press- 3X5 (give it hell!)
Dumbbell 60° Incline Bench- 3X8 (focus on huge range of motion)
Lying Tricep Extensions 3x12 (not skull crushers, it's important to hit all three heads of the tricep)
Diamond Push-ups 3xAMAP
Standing Cable Face Pull 3x15 (for shoulder health)

If you can do more than that, you didn't go heavy enough on the bench.

Adding: Thank you for not wasting time with dumbbell kickbacks. Those things are an insult.

Can you elaborate. 3 heads of the triceps? AMAP? Thanks sir

Can you elaborate. 3 heads of the triceps? AMAP? Thanks sir

anatomical-tricep-training_1424894174.jpg

[video=youtube;-rh3MHnRI_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I[/video]

AMAP = As Many As Possible

Any of you guys have suggestions for easy/quick (aka store bought) snacks or meal replacements. I lift heavy 4x a week and play hoops 1-2x a week. Coach daughters hoops teams all week so schedule is crazy. I use Snickers Marathon Energy bars and milk a bunch but am looking for variety. Those bars are great for me as I suffer from migraines at times induced by variations in blood sugar. Low GI stuff is important for me. Thanks.

Any of you guys have suggestions for easy/quick (aka store bought) snacks or meal replacements. I lift heavy 4x a week and play hoops 1-2x a week. Coach daughters hoops teams all week so schedule is crazy. I use Snickers Marathon Energy bars and milk a bunch but am looking for variety. Those bars are great for me as I suffer from migraines at times induced by variations in blood sugar. Low GI stuff is important for me. Thanks.

I feel like I should know this. Where in Wisco are you? Variety may be the spice of your life. Just have to find different bars. Also, keep in mind, a Whopper Jr w/o mayo or cheese is 330 calories (ish) and egg mcmuffins may be the best thing ever for somebody who wants a protein loaded snack. Not what you may expect to hear, but those are two very convenient options.

Qwest Bars are about the best protein bars on the market. A little expensive but really good macros

I feel like I should know this. Where in Wisco are you? Variety may be the spice of your life. Just have to find different bars. Also, keep in mind, a Whopper Jr w/o mayo or cheese is 330 calories (ish) and egg mcmuffins may be the best thing ever for somebody who wants a protein loaded snack. Not what you may expect to hear, but those are two very convenient options.

Beaver Dam, only an hour ish from you.

Qwest Bars are about the best protein bars on the market. A little expensive but really good macros
Yeah I've been meaning to try those. I've heard mixed reviews especially since apparently they changed their recipes or something idk but they would be convenient on the run. He could just do a protein shake of some kind as well. I absolutely love them when I'm struggling to reach my goal for the day. None of those crazy ones tho, I stick to just whey and some organic peanut butter, yummmmmm!

quote-strong-people-are-harder-to-kill-than-weak-people-and-more-useful-in-general-mark-rippetoe-66-84-12.jpg

Haha, I LOVE tricep kickbacks because they mimic the pool stroke almost perfectly and help staying stable with power/speed.

Adding: Thank you for not wasting time with dumbbell kickbacks. Those things are an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back