deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So I have a 4H in senior flex. Can I trim the tip 1 and 1/2" to have it play like a regular flex (if every 1/2" hard stepped brings it a third closer to a stiffer flex)? Or will I wind up trimming too much off the tip and ruining it?

Question will you be putting it back in the same 4h head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question will you be putting it back in the same 4h head?
Yeah. Not sure how long the tip section is on the UST Mamiya Chrome Elements hybrid shafts.

I think if it has a decently long parallel tip section you can get away with it. It has probably already been tip trimmed for the 4h before initial assembly. I would add a shaft extender to keep it to your playing length. Can't hurt to try, you already aren't happy with its performance.

I think if it has a decently long parallel tip section you can get away with it. It has probably already been tip trimmed for the 4h before initial assembly. I would add a shaft extender to keep it to your playing length. Can't hurt to try, you already aren't happy with its performance.
Yeah, definitely would add an extender to the butt end so it plays to length. Asked W/S on Twitter the length of the tip section. Hopefully this will work. They do offer a 7H in the D200, so I'm hoping there is an extra 1.5" to play with.

I like it well enough, but playing at such a light flex, when I get quick ... it's not as forgiving as I need it to be.

Id try tipping it an inch first and see how it plays. Extensions are cheap and easy so are grips.

You can use painters tape and air so you can pop the grip off easier and save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Mr. Vrska, the Chrome Elements shaft on the D200 hybrid has a 5.5" tip section. Plenty of leeway. Of course, I went a different route and decided to go straight to a stiff shaft.

Keep in mind if you trim to much of the tip you will DRASTICALLY change the way a shaft plays and the profile not just the tip stiffness. There is a point of no return that ruins the shaft may just be better to pull it sell it and get the correct flex .

Keep in mind if you trim to much of the tip you will DRASTICALLY change the way a shaft plays and the profile not just the tip stiffness. There is a point of no return that ruins the shaft may just be better to pull it sell it and get the correct flex .
Yeah, that's what I did ... more or less. Bought the D200 3H in stiff, will pull, trim a 0.5" off the tip and install into the 4H head. Will then sell the 3H head because 22* (4H) is about as low as I can go in a hybrid. I figured I'd skip the regular flex because I was told that the Chrome Elements plays a bit looser than flex, plus my transition is a bit quick and True Temper kept recommending stiff shafts to me based on that profile. I know the Chrome Elements isn't a True Temper product, but I'm going to assume (potentially wrongly) that it'd apply in this case too.

Next time I get to MB I'm going to get both the Reg and Stiff flex on the monitor and see if one drastically out performs the other, but I assume I'll see similar results ... and if not, plenty of time to go out and hunt down a R-flex if needed. I did play the D100 6H in stiff last week (thanks to RBG screwing up my order) and it played very well for me. Not sure if I lost any distance but every shot I took with it was high and straight ... not sure what else I need from a club.

Yeah, that's what I did ... more or less. Bought the D200 3H in stiff, will pull, trim a 0.5" off the tip and install into the 4H head. Will then sell the 3H head because 22* (4H) is about as low as I can go in a hybrid. I figured I'd skip the regular flex because I was told that the Chrome Elements plays a bit looser than flex, plus my transition is a bit quick and True Temper kept recommending stiff shafts to me based on that profile. I know the Chrome Elements isn't a True Temper product, but I'm going to assume (potentially wrongly) that it'd apply in this case too.

Next time I get to MB I'm going to get both the Reg and Stiff flex on the monitor and see if one drastically out performs the other, but I assume I'll see similar results ... and if not, plenty of time to go out and hunt down a R-flex if needed. I did play the D100 6H in stiff last week (thanks to RBG screwing up my order) and it played very well for me. Not sure if I lost any distance but every shot I took with it was high and straight ... not sure what else I need from a club.

If you tip trim a stiff shaft isn't it going to play even stiffer?

Dave

If you tip trim a stiff shaft isn't it going to play even stiffer?
Yes, but when cutting a 3H shaft to a 4H, or 4H to 5H etc etc ... you typically trim from the tip, not the butt.

I lined up the graphics on my 4H, 5H, and 6H and the difference is in the tip, not the butt. I sort of side-stepped the issue because I loved the D200 3H so much off the tee, and the D100 4H performed similarly to the D200 4H that I sold the D200 4H.

My only advice, try to avoid paralysis by overanalysis.

My only advice, try to avoid paralysis by overanalysis.
So freakin true ... I found myself spending way too much time pondering this issue.

Back