2009 Bridgestone Ball Success

As far as spin off the wedges, at this point I'm such a poor-quality hacker that I don't think I've ever seen a shot back up, even when I find a ProV1 and play it for a couple holes. Don't know that I'm losing anything at this point by playing the e6+.
Personally, I can get the premium balls to stop on a dime and even with the midrange balls I can usually get them to stop within a few few of where they land.
IMO, spinning the ball back is overrated and you are even seeing a lot of pros trying to limit how much they spin the ball.

Personally, I can get the premium balls to stop on a dime and even with the midrange balls I can usually get them to stop within a few few of where they land.
IMO, spinning the ball back is overrated and you are even seeing a lot of pros trying to limit how much they spin the ball.

I don't think it's overrated at all, it depends on where you play and what the shot calls for. I play a lot of courses along the ocean where elevations change a lot, it's nice to hit to the back stop of greens to keep the ball from rolling into the ocean but then spin it back to have an uphill putt instead of a downhill one. This is a lot easier to do with a Urethane cover than a Surlyn one. Pros are probably not relying on this shot as much as a lot of of them have begun practicing/using V grooves in anticipation of January....it's a lot harder to execute. I've been foolling around with some early 70's wedges (Mostly Wilson Staff) and I don't like what I see lol.

IMO, the new groove rule is going to bring a lot of people back to reality.

IMO, the new groove rule is going to bring a lot of people back to reality.

How do you mean Bake? I'm not quite understanding. But I do know the new rule and such, I just don't understand your statement.

How do you mean Bake? I'm not quite understanding. But I do know the new rule and such, I just don't understand your statement.

Look at computer data about spin rates versus Box Grooves/U Grooves/V Grooves.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it man.
You'll get used to it. It will just force people to focus more on keeping it in the short grass.

What I mean is that it will show people that they arent as good as they think they are. The new grooves will limit spin, so the ball wont hold the green as well and when hitting the ball out of the rough, you will get much less spin than you do now.

You'll get used to it. It will just force people to focus more on keeping it in the short grass.

What I mean is that it will show people that they arent as good as they think they are. The new grooves will limit spin, so the ball wont hold the green as well and when hitting the ball out of the rough, you will get much less spin than you do now.

Alright, that was what I thought, but I wasn't sure. But I agree, I play Vokey Spin Milled's, I think I will have some trouble adjusting.

As long as you keep it in the fairway you will be fine. They simply wanted to make approach shots out of the rough (especially the greenside rough) more difficult to penalize players more for errant shots.
I personally think this policy is a slippery slope. Whats next, going back to balata golfballs and persimmon woods?

As long as you keep it in the fairway you will be fine. They simply wanted to make approach shots out of the rough (especially the greenside rough) more difficult to penalize players more for errant shots.

Keeping it in the fairway...about that...um that's not my best skill in golf. Haha, actually I do pretty good with that, but I still think I will have some trouble adjusting.

Agrre with Bake the spin rates out of the fairway of V vs U/B grooves are not all that different, mathematically speaking, but it's night and day from the rough.

Keeping it in the fairway...about that...um that's not my best skill in golf. Haha, actually I do pretty good with that, but I still think I will have some trouble adjusting.
You could say the same about a lot of pros and thats the reason for this rule.

Agrre with Bake the spin rates out of the fairway of V vs U/B grooves are not all that different, mathematically speaking, but it's night and day from the rough.

Most of us don't wear our wedges out in a few months like pros do, so we'll be able to hang on to our equipment for a while. This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy new clubs this year.

I look forward to see pros catching fliers out of the rough again. Or forcing them to play high-spin balls again and deal with a whole lot more curvature of the ball. I think the days of bomb and gouge will be ending.

Back