2009 Bridgestone Ball Success

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is more proof that the Golf Digest Hot List that I ranted about before is absolutely wrong and completely off base. Keep in mind, this is all amid one of the greatest golf economic downturns in the industry's history.

- In the first quarter of 2009, Bridgestone Golf had its best ever quarter
in company history, seeing a 200% increase in Bridgestone branded ball sales year-over-year from 1st quarter 2008.

- In March of 2009, Bridgestone Golf had the best ever month in company
history (yes it even surpassed the best month ever during the Precept MC
Lady phenomenon by a solid 10%) seeing an increase year-over-year from March 2008 of 239%.

- Bridgestone continues to increase its share in the on and
off-course channels, they have become either the #1 selling SKU or brand at
many of the top golf specialty stores throughout the U.S. (at last count
over 200 store locations).

- According to the Feb. 2008 Golf Datatech numbers Bridgestone Golf
currently holds the #2 dollar share position in golf balls in both the
Off-Course and On/Off Course Combined (Overall) categories, surpassing
Callaway, Nike and TaylorMade.

- According to that same Feb. 2008 Golf Datatech report, Bridgestone's
B330-RX is the #3 selling golf ball at retail, just behind the Pro V1 and
Pro V1x.

So much for 2 stars in demand in the 2009 Hot List, huh?

It's Golf Digest - I've given up expecting much out of any "hot list" they produce.

• Admin
I think the problem is that the casual golfer puts so much stock in these lists. I dont need to make my rant again, but its absolutely CRAZY!

It just goes to show you that the so-called, "experts" who write for the magazines dont always know what they are talking about.
I personally dont understand the relevance of the, "demand" part of it. Does anyone really care what ball is popular? If it performs and you like it, use it!

I read the reviews last night & demand aspect was ridiculous & has absolutely zero relevance at all.

Does the average casual golfer, say someone who might play a couple times a month actually ever read any of the golf related magazines? I have gotten to the point where if I get them for free I will glance thru for any new clubs or gear but that's it.

• Admin
The average person that reads GD Dyna plays between 24-36 times a year.

The average person that reads GD Dyna plays between 24-36 times a year.

Now to my way of thinking that's more than your average casual golfer. Most of the guys I work with may go out maybe 10 times a year, remember too we only have about 5 months where the weather is decent enough for anyone but the hardcore golfer to go out & play.

• Admin
So for us FL or warm weather people, that computers to be similar. 2-3 times per month. But forget about the GD Hot list for a second. I think it is remarkable that a company can do this well in this downward golf economy. Every company I speak with is going the other way. It just goes to show if you build something of quality, the golf masses will cut through the BS and find it.

I think it's wonderful anytime a company can get the mindless masses to try something other than a damn ProV1 for once. Just because the ball works for whatever pro is endorsed to say he loves it, doesn't mean it will work for Joe Average.

^^^^
What he said!

I just knew Bridgestone was selling better than many others. That GD report (use the words of your choice) put out by the mag was way off base. I read it again last night and was even more amazed than I was the first time. I would like to know how much Titlest pays the mag to rank them numero uno. I play 330RX and have found it to be everything they say it is and all that I need. It is by far the best ball for my game.

This is awesome.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. Bridgestone is really excited about the support and interest they have received from the THP membership. It is supporters like you that have made Bridgestone's gains in a difficult economy possible. They really feel like the time and money that has been spent on educating golfers through ball-fitting, rather than just saturating them to death with ads and TOUR player sponsorships, is paying dividends.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. Bridgestone is really excited about the support and interest they have received from the THP membership. It is supporters like you that have made Bridgestone's gains in a difficult economy possible. They really feel like the time and money that has been spent on educating golfers through ball-fitting, rather than just saturating them to death with ads and TOUR player sponsorships, is paying dividends.

wow, do i ever agree with that statement ... great post my friend ... :clapp:

duane I too agree with that 100%

The ball I play now is the e6+. Last year I was playing a Nike ball and thought I needed some help with controlling slice on the driver. I bought a sleeve of the e6+, and actually preferred the feel of the ball off of the putter and wedges over what I was playing, plus it seemed to straighten out my drives some.

The weird part is, I know I'm playing somewhat of a "price point" ball, but I really don't feel I've given up anything by not playing a $45/doz ball. Would I do better with a 330RX? Maybe. But when I was using my previous ball, I always knew it was an "inferior" or "budget" ball. The e6+ doesn't feel the same way, if that makes any sense.

The E6+ really isnt a "budget" ball though, its more of a mid-range ball. Im playing the E6+ right now too and its an amazing ball.

I think the E6+ is one of the most popular balls on our forum. I know of so many that use it and love it.

I'm playing some MOJO's that my wife bought me for Christmas, after they find their way to a watery grave I'm going to pick up some E6+.

I think the E6+ is one of the most popular balls on our forum. I know of so many that use it and love it.
Ive definetly started hitting straighter shots since I started using the E6+. Between that and the swing changes I made during the winter, Ive started to actually have fun hitting driver because now I actually have a chance of hitting the fairway on a regular basis.

Wait till you get to adjust your club head.

The ball I play now is the e6+. Last year I was playing a Nike ball and thought I needed some help with controlling slice on the driver. I bought a sleeve of the e6+, and actually preferred the feel of the ball off of the putter and wedges over what I was playing, plus it seemed to straighten out my drives some.

The weird part is, I know I'm playing somewhat of a "price point" ball, but I really don't feel I've given up anything by not playing a $45/doz ball. Would I do better with a 330RX? Maybe. But when I was using my previous ball, I always knew it was an "inferior" or "budget" ball. The e6+ doesn't feel the same way, if that makes any sense.

According to Bridgestone's site, the e6+ is supposed to spin a little less and fly straighter than other balls.

A 330RX is more of a very soft tour ball for people who can't compress a really hard tour ball to get it to spin. I'm thinking it's for players that are looking for more stop and more spin but don't swing incredibly fast.

I've hit the e's and they feel great off the irons, but I can't get them to stop on short wedges. Wish I could get them to stop, because I love the feel and the price.

I've been playing B330s and absolutely loving them. Got a couple in a tournament gift bag and I'm hooked. For $29.99 a dozen mint at Knetgolf, I need to get me some more.

I'm thinking about playing the B330-S. We'll see, I'm going to try them pretty soon.

The E6+ really isnt a "budget" ball though, its more of a mid-range ball. Im playing the E6+ right now too and its an amazing ball.

I understand that the e6+ is more of a midrange, but I've played some of the other midrange balls and I never can shake the feeling that something's missing.

As far as spin off the wedges, at this point I'm such a poor-quality hacker that I don't think I've ever seen a shot back up, even when I find a ProV1 and play it for a couple holes. Don't know that I'm losing anything at this point by playing the e6+.

Back