Amazing stat from Shriners golf tourney!

tgtt

Reaction score
Handicap
Maybe this is common knowledge but the number of Titleist wedges is truly amazing to me (source - http://www.thetourvan.com/) :

The Winning Count
Winning counts for Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open (132-player field)

Balls:
1. Titleist (98)

Drivers:
1. TaylorMade (48)
2. Titleist (35)
3. Ping (17)

Fairway Woods:
1. TaylorMade (64)
2. Titleist (35)

Hybrids:
1. Adams (28)
2. Titleist (27)
3. TaylorMade (26)

Irons:
1. Titleist (39)
2. TaylorMade (26)
3. Ping (22)

Wedges:
1. Titleist (130)

Putters:
1. Titleist (56)
2. Odyssey (NA)
3. Ping (20)

Footwear:
1. FootJoy (91)
2. Adidas (21)
3. Nike (9)

Last edited:
I have a very hard time believing that 130 of 132 players in the field are gaming Vokeys.

I don't believe it either. Jonathan Byrd games nike wedges and I have to believe there was more than one person gaming cleveland wedges.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have to call mis-print on this, I'm not saying there is not a high number of players hitting Vokey wedges, but 130 our of 132...no way.

130/132 seems awful high IMO. I know vokeys are popular but this has to be wrong

I could see amateurs possibly doing this just because the vokey name like Cameron. When I was in high school everyone had to have a vokey, but at 16 you aren't as smart with decisions. The pros I cant see the count being that because there are simply too many nice wedges now. They know clubs too that the avg person has no clue of. I see there being more than just 2 people without titleist. I saw amazing Shriner stat and was hoping it was in regard to how much was raised for the kids. That's such an awesome organization!

After thinking about this more, there is just no way...somebody already said that Byrd games Nike wedges, Tommy Gainey plays 588's and I am pretty sure David Duval is playing Scratch wedges, Jhonathan Vegas plays Nike wedges, Paul Goydos plays one TM wedge and one Cleveland wedge and I think Carl Pettersson plays Nike wedges too. That's 5 or 6 just off the top of my head and I am sure there are lots more.

After thinking about this more, there is just no way...somebody already said that Byrd games Nike wedges, Tommy Gainey plays 588's and I am pretty sure David Duval is playing Scratch wedges, Jhonathan Vegas plays Nike wedges, Paul Goydos plays one TM wedge and one Cleveland wedge and I think Carl Pettersson plays Nike wedges too. That's 5 or 6 just off the top of my head and I am sure there are lots more.

Sponsorship deals alone should make that number impossible. I was/am highly skeptical but found it interesting and now curious to know the real numbers for wedges.

That is how many wedges were in play, NOT the amount of players playing them.

That makes sense. Otherwise that would be insane.

Ah! With most pros carrying 4 wedges I wonder why other brands weren't listed then?

Ah! With most pros carrying 4 wedges I wonder why other brands weren't listed then?

Actually you would be surprised there. Not all the guys carry as many as us amateurs. But the reason that other brands werent listed is unknown. They dont get the info from the brands, but from the survey and they list others in other categories and while that is not the most accurate source of information, they should at least do the complete count.

Actually you would be surprised there. Not all the guys carry as many as us amateurs. But the reason that other brands werent listed is unknown. They dont get the info from the brands, but from the survey and they list others in other categories and while that is not the most accurate source of information, they should at least do the complete count.

Thanks JB.

Thanks JB, makes a whole lot more sense that way....

Back