gripping in the fingers

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
OK so tonight I was working on a few things and the main thing I have been working on is not fanning open on takeaway and releasing through impact. Tonight I noticed the release was going great but there's always a but in golf I was hitting everything left and i noticed the club was slamming shut in my grip. I have been gripping the club in the fingers of my left hand and having checked a few clips on the internet seems i'm gripping to much in my fingers. Is this possible and what would the consequences be?

I was hooking my driver till I concentrated on holding it across my palm and index finger of the left hand. Try supporting the club with just the index finger and feel how solid it feels parallel to the ground. Just something that worked for me.

+1 on jaybanks response, the reason we hold the grip in our fingers instead of "the Life Line," as my club pro says (the palm) is because this position helps us set up for proper release and if our hips stop rotating, and our body stops too, we can develop a nasty hook. The club pro and I have been working on this for a while, I accidentally developed a hook by trying to fix a slice. So focus on turning through to the finish and see if your shots got straighter. If not, maybe your grip is just too strong.

My biggest concern was the fact the club was turning upto 30* in my left hand closed???? it didnt happen after i changed it so it was sitting more in the base of my fingers/palm

My biggest concern was the fact the club was turning upto 30* in my left hand closed???? it didnt happen after i changed it so it was sitting more in the base of my fingers/palm

Wow, that's crazy, well maybe this will help, more in the fingers is different then in your fingers, watch this video it should help you boss

[video=youtube;4XLR6o-M4aI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLR6o-M4aI&feature=related[/video]

Wow, that's crazy, well maybe this will help, more in the fingers is different then in your fingers, watch this video it should help you boss

[video=youtube;4XLR6o-M4aI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLR6o-M4aI&feature=related[/video]
perfect cheers that explains what i was seeing then.

Great video, thanks for sharing leiruagetro, that explained it perfectly.

I was having the exact same problem. I was gripping in the fingers of my left hand and at setup it looked great. However I was hooking the ball quite a bit and when I looked at the club face after the shot it was very closed. I've been advised to move more into the palm (as per the video) and I've eliminated the hooking problem.

You can control iron shots better with a grip more in the palm, with the handle of the club running up onto the heel of your hand closer to the wrist bone but for a longer shot where distance is more important than precision or if you are having trouble slicing longer clubs a looser grip that is a little more toward the base of your fingers is an option, but the grip should never be off the palm of that front control hand completely. The back 'power' hand in the grip can be more to the fingers but never past that first finger joint, even with it is OK. There isn't any rule for grips it is whatever works best for your swing so try different things. I use an overlap grip with two fingers of my right hand, pinkie and ring finger both, over the first two fingers on my left (index and middle) instead of just the pinkie over the index finger. For me this adds power and control for me but not everyone will want to do that.

I was having the exact same problem. I was gripping in the fingers of my left hand and at setup it looked great. However I was hooking the ball quite a bit and when I looked at the club face after the shot it was very closed. I've been advised to move more into the palm (as per the video) and I've eliminated the hooking problem.
Did you lose any distance with it?

Question....if you are gripping too much in the fingers. Would a mid or oversize grip help in the is aspect? or even # of wraps on top???

Question....if you are gripping too much in the fingers. Would a mid or oversize grip help in the is aspect? or even # of wraps on top???

I believe it would because it would force you to put it more in the palms. Also a smaller grip results in a draw bias and the larger the grip is the more fade bias you get, the number of wraps basically affects the rotation and release during the downswing which is one reason putting it in the fingers results in a closed face, also you can see the face closed when all in the fingers

I feel this could be one of my problems. I have really been hooking my driver and woods lately.

The video explains it fairly well, I wish he would have shown what the position looked like though.

Did you lose any distance with it?

I ended up hitting the ball much straighter and higher, so by fixing my grip I got a much better flight and therefore gained distance.

Back