Changing Clubs Too Often?

Dunn6253

Reaction score
Handicap
practice
With all the tinkers here at THP, do you every think that changing out clubs as often as we do hurts our game instead of helps it? Maybe something to the effect of my swing never being able to get dialed in with one set of irons because I am constantly trying out a new set to game. Another one I noticed is how often I will try different shafts out in my driver. I always think there is something better out there and am always swapping it out.

I truly believe my game would be a little more consistent if I didn't mess around with clubs so much, but it is fun to do at the same time. Need to find a happy medium if there is one out there.

Yep, my inability to commit to equipment is a constant distraction. I want to believe that the magic Driver/Irons/Putter are still at the store and I will find it.

I am working on changing that, much to the disappointment of War Eagle.

Yes, I've been changing too much recently. With swing changes and as I learn more about equipment, I believe I'll settle down eventually. Otherwise, it's part of the fun to tinker and with a consistent swing, trying different clubs or switching them out isn't as big of a deal as it used to be to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think certain equipment works better for one type of swing (person) than others. It's about finding the balance between what's comfortable standing over, and what your looking for from a sound/feel/feedback/forgiveness standpoint. So you either change your swing to match the equipment, or the equipment to match the swing.

So does non-committing to one set over another hurt? I think it could. I also think changing up the equipment may just refresh the look, reset the swing, and end up helping.

Yep, my inability to commit to equipment is a constant distraction. I want to believe that the magic Driver/Irons/Putter are still at the store and I will find it.

I am working on changing that, much to the disappointment of War Eagle.

Hard to say if it affects my game but I'm definitely always thinking about equipment. I feel it could contribute to the mental side of my game more than the physical.

I change clubs way too often, but it doesn't seem to affect my scores one way or the other.

Honestly I enjoy the tinkering just as much as playing the game. I know I would probably be a few strokes better if I stuck to one thing but I really enjoy trying new equipment out.

Absolutely hinders my game. Wish I could be happy with "old" equipment, but I never will.

I like new equipment and must say that I have made a lot of mistakes. The older I get the longer it takes me to purchase new equipment. I like to take everything out for a test drive before I buy.

Yea, it does present difficulties at times.

I think it definitely can hurt our games. Its such a feel game that even the most minor of changes takes getting used to. I do think that if we were truly happy with what we played then we wouldn't change so much. I have gone back and forth on many different clubs because I wasn't sure they were right for me, but I feel like I'm getting things set to my liking and I am finding that I have less of a desire to try new stuff. Much better on the wallet too.

Always changing clubsseems to have worked for whatever reasons. Finally satisfied with my set and plan on slowing down a bit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think it does, which I why ive committed to finding a setup this year that works and leaving it alone. My bag at this point is finished from the 4i down, and I plan to solve the top part within the next 2 months. The rest of the year (and money) will be devoted to lessons and improvement.

The new toy factor is 50% of the fun of the game of golf. Maybe if it were socially acceptable for a 30 year old man to spend several pay cheques a year on Transformers I could just stick with what I have in the bag now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think tell myself that I am going to stay with my current clubs at the end of one season and head into the next, but over the winter, I usually end up with something new that I just couldn't turn down.
I've Changed my clubs mid season to see a big drop in my game, but I've also changed clubs I felt I was in a funk with and seen an improvement, I went to a different style putter.

For me I think it does negatively impact my game. Some day I suppose I'll stay content with a club or 2 for awhile and see what happens.

Yes. Changing too much has definitely held me back. The longer a club has been in my bag, the more reps I have had with it, the more "battles" we've been through together, the more confident I am in it and the better I hit it.

Case in point is my Niblick 49. I've had it in the bag for 2.5 years and it has never left (other than 2 rounds where I was "forcing" myself to try something different). That's the club that I hit the best in the whole bag.

While the club ho in me never wanted to believe that, part of the comfort level with the Niblick 49 is due to the reps with it. After the 49, my next most comfortable clubs are the other Niblicks (similar, and off of that same swing feel as the 49). After that, the next most comfortable clubs are my irons, which are also the second oldest thing in my bag. My least comfortable is the fairway, which is the newest addition to the bag.

Now, the inner club ho in me makes the counter argument. That argument is because something doesn't work, it gets swapped. The newness is just a reflection of what hasn't been working. On some level I could believe that because the clubs I've rotated the most are the ones that are hardest to hit (fairway wood, long hybrid and driver in that order).

I'm not sure I think that's true though. I suspect, had I been handed these exact models when I was handed my Cleveland 49, I'd be just as comfortable with them. My goal for this season is to lock in and get comfortable with everything.

I will close with this thought. All the club swapping has given me a much, much better idea of what works. With all the equipment on the market, even the best fitter wouldn't have set up a bag like I have now. The trial and error has helped me figure out what I'm comfortable with, and that paired with research has helped source what ultimately stays in the bag.

it's a good point, and currently there is not a single club in my bag that i started last year off with. I really do believe though that a year from now, that will not be the case. Think I found my set to last me the next 2-3 years atleast.

Yep! I go through at least 2-3 drivers a year. Let's see how long I keep my Nike...

I thin it hurts many people. I have a brother in law that has a new club in the bag almost weekly and I think he had 6 or 8 drivers last year alone. He falls for all the marketing hype and is just sure he can buy a better game but he never gets any better and often goes the other way when he buys something on a whim.

Got to get to know the clubs and they got to get to know you.....

I'm not someone who changes equipment very often. I find something that works and I try to stick with it. There's no doubt I want new stuff every year when you see it come out but I can't afford to do it. So, I try to find clubs that will work stick with them until I feel I need something new then start saving up.

I have changed WAY too much in the last few years! Spent way too much money and all of it for naught. Now that I have a bag full of clubs fit to me, I don't plan on changing any time in the near future.

I've been pretty good about keeping changes to a minimum during the season, although I did go to the OptiForce in the middle of last season. I felt that I was going to keep my bag the same for this season until I hit the new products and before I knew it, I was sending my old clubs back to Callaway and getting ordering the new ones. So even when I plan on not changing, I end up replacing them anyway.

Putters are exempt from this thought process as all news putters are entitled to an appearance in my bag.

It's great marketing to make us think we need to change for all of these various reasons. I change when I find that I've reached my max potential with a given set or driver, etc. assuming of course I have grooved my swing as good as it will get in a given period of time, usually a season or two. But I've probably changed my swing as much as my clubs over the years. I'm definitely a cork sniffer there's no hiding it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back