Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

I've been playing LZ stock in 5.5. Callaway calls that regular but I think Project X calls it stiff. I'm curious to find out if our test shafts were matched to the flex we played previously or if they are all the same flex.

I'll be curious as well. I have my guess but I'll hold off until we get to PX Headquarters. From this session switching back and forth I would definitely guess the baseline is heavier than the 56 gram LZ shaft. Other than that, I'll hold off until we get out to SD.

This is probably my final report. I played Mountain Meadows in Pomona and had one of my best driving days in a long time. I missed two fairways (I attempted fades and both went OB) and the rest were in the fairway and what Alphonse Hercules Bundy would call "big 'uns".

First hole: A low trajectory draw that went 280 yards right in the middle of the fairway.
Second hole: 290 yard medium trajectory draw that ended up on the left side of the fairway.
Third hole: 292 yard medium trajectory draw left side of the fairway.
Fourth hole: 273 yard high trajectory block that would have been playable but it went into one of those protected habitats.
Fifth hole: 288 yard medium trajectory draw
Seventh hole: 285 yard high draw
Eighth hole: 274 yard medium draw right side of the fairway
Tenth hole: 312 yard pull left side of the fairway
Eleventh hole: 281 yard high draw that cut a corner and carried some pretty impressive trees.
Twelfth hole: 310 yard draw right side of the fairway
Fourteenth hole: 305 yard high trajectory draw (downhill) left side of the fairway.
Fifteenth hole: 340 yard draw medium trajectory draw (downhill).
Sixteenth hole: 265 yard high slice OB. Found the ball but again in a protected habitat area.
Eighteenth hole: 277 yard medium draw middle of the fairway.

The shaft really came through for me except for when I went for the fades both of which went OB. Not off the course but into protected habitats. When I felt that I shifted my hips forward but left my upper body behind I hit really nice draw shots. Some were a great trajectory, nice and high and ran like hell. With my Rogue I feel like I can handle the fade, but with the tester shaft I feel less confident. That said when the tempo is right, the feeling is the shaft really is an extension of my arms and puts the ball out there. I was paired with a mother/son two-some and they said they had never seen a better driver of the ball which obviously pleased me immensely. Flattery will get you everywhere. Unfortunately my putting has been a really bad joke for about three weeks now. I shot a 43 on the front and a 38 on the back nine. My final thoughts which have remained consistent through the entire test are that the shaft has incredible feel, is stable on off center shots with great dispersion and has a medium, low spin launch. My one gripe is I struggled with fading the ball as they more times than not turned into slices.

Once more I'd like to thank Project X and the Hacker's Paradise for this incredible event. I used to write music reviews and tennis equipment reviews so this event and experience has really appealed to me. I can't believe In four days I'm gonna be in San Diego with some cool and funny as hell dudes. I was nervous but now I can't wait. See you fellas soon.

Looking to contribute to this thread one last time tonight, as I'm hoping to get over to the shop to get on the launch monitor and get some rough numbers to work with. I haven't had a chance to get on the quality monitor at the Nike Performance Center, so the GC2 at Pro Golf Discount will have to do. I know they won't be too precise, but hoping I can get some idea as to where I stand at least in the basic numbers (launch angle, carry, backspin).

Just wanted to say to my fellow event participants, you guys have killed it in here and I've loved reading everyone's thoughts. Absolutely ecstatic to meet you all (reunite with cpljohnst from #TheKing 2014), eat some good food, drink some good beer, and above all make some incredible 100% custom driver shafts!!

P.S. I think if JB gets one more PM from us about phone numbers or hotel costs he may murder us in our sleep, so take care to send those messages only amongst ourselves! :alien:

I blame Courtney on that one Ryan lol

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll have to do my best to get on JB and Don's good side on this trip or my name will probably disappear from every future event entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll have to do my best to get on JB and Don's good side on this trip or my name will probably disappear from every future event entry.

You're good man, just a good ribbing is all.

Just don't send me a PM while we are sitting at the same conference room table and you should be all right.

You're good man, just a good ribbing is all.

Seconded, you're a good dude Courtney, and I'm sure you won't be the only one who gets a little crap at this event! :alien:

Just don't send me a PM while we are sitting at the same conference room table and you should be all right.

How else am I supposed to talk trash about the other people in the room, form alliances, etc.?

How else am I supposed to talk trash about the other people in the room, form alliances, etc.?

You can talk trash about JB out loud.

You can talk trash about JB out loud.

You mean Josh "If I have to wear sandals, you better bet I'll have socks on" Babbitt?

sandals-and-socks-2011-3828.jpg

You have me confused with someone else. It's not a crime to not want to look at your tree climbers.

It's getting undeniably strange in here.

The entire thread is awkward but it keeps me entertained !

I'm beginning to fear the live update thread.

There's a reason the aliens don't come visit us anymore........now I begin to see why. :alien:

It's getting undeniably strange in here.

A sick family and rain kept me from being able to get out and play and go to the range. Gotta pass the time somehow.

There's a reason the aliens don't come visit us anymore........now I begin to see why. :alien:

Ddec and I have that handled

Not that one.....rather when Courtney takes his talents to California. :angel:

Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Not that one.....rather when Courtney takes his talents to California. :angel:

I'm sure I'll be the responsible party for any future amendments to the event and forum rules information.

In all seriousness, I can't wait for this event to get here. I've really enjoyed the test shaft. I think a few tweaks will make it a real bomber for me. Can't wait to share a bunch and pics and updates with everyone.

Last edited:

I'm gonna try to get this back on track...

Got out for my last round before the event today. It was a toasty 95* so I decided to take a cart. Only the 3rd time all year I took a cart. Overall, I thought I had my tightest dispersion today of any day with the baseline shaft. When I missed it wasn't by much. Had probably my longest drive ever on #1, absolutely blistered it down the left side of the fairway. Other than that it was a lot of fairways or just misses. I hit 7/12 fairways but the 5 I missed were all very playable. I did want to talk about one particular drive. On #14 I caught way in on the heel. I feel like if I had impact tape part of the ball mark would of been off the tape. I rarely miss the center of the face by this much. However, the shaft held up extremely well. It started off left and faded back onto the left side of the fairway. I was about 20-30 yards short of where I typically am with a good drive but I was extremely impressed with how stable the shaft felt on such a miss hit. Also have to give credit to the BB 815 and it's forgiveness as well. But I do think the torque of the shaft and this head really made what could of been a disastrous shot into a very playable shot from the fairway. I think if I could make this shaft just a little lighter and get a touch more height on my drives I'll be set. It's gonna be another hot one tomorrow so I don't plan on getting out again. Looking forward to San Diego! Hope anyone who has followed along has enjoyed my thoughts on the baseline shaft. Any questions feel free to ask away.

Don asked us to contribute to this thread after we receive our custom shafts. So please do not lock this thread.
Thanks!

Don asked us to contribute to this thread after we receive our custom shafts. So please do not lock this thread.
Thanks!

We are actually going to have a new thread for you brother. You can post in both if Don wants to kee this one alive too.

We are actually going to have a new thread for you brother. You can post in both if Don wants to kee this one alive too.

Awesome! Thanks! We can use the new thread exclusively.

I just finished playing Torrey Pines South Course with Courtney, Ryan, and Tim. Barry joined us on 18 and periscoped the shenanigans. What a great group of guys. That was on of the most enjoyable rounds I have played in a long time (since #TheKing Event and Torrey Monday with BigSkyIrish). and would love to golf with you guys in the future. I'm glad you all had one hell of a good time in San Diego. THP and Project X put on one great event. Safe travels to you all.

Chump Fries... No more Z-Stars. Spin to win ?

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKlMizEwNjE0NjAwfDY3NzQzMTgxtpp0_z52ZWO-yuovaqyiMpNkUyHxUM8UoutkLZPJX38=

Back