The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if al Davis was still in charge if they do this deal. I say no. Davis and mike brown doing a deal? Ha
This tells me that Oakland thinks they have something going this year and they're not ready to give up on it. And they have zero confidence in what they have. Did they give up a lot? Probably too much but I can see why they did it.

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

Really? I think its a good move for them, they are finally becoming relevant again, might as well keep it rolling...

a first round pick? They could get a good college QB or even a good WR . Palmer isnt elite. Never will be

It's almost as horrible as playing Thomas instead of Holmes...:D

Well Played

More good things for the Bengals (and Yoccos) Cedric Benson is only being suspended for 1 game plus a fine.

That's great to hear! Ced Benson is a stand up guy. Ihope they suspend him during the bye week..... lol.

I just read this, which is what I have been seeing all day...

JasonLaCanfora
Jason La Canfora
While the terms of trade b/n OAK and CIN agreed to, Palmer still working out contract issues and also has yet to take/pass a physical ...So this trade is not truly consummated yet. Everyone assumes it goes through, but its not done yet

a first round pick? They could get a good college QB or even a good WR . Palmer isnt elite. Never will be

I think its worth it to give up a pick to save your season and hopefully make the playoffs. The alternative was Boller or VY and neither would be nearly as good as Palmer. Plus they arent the best drafters in the world anyway, so I would say the risk/reward odds here work for the Raiders.

From what I just read on the Palmer deal. He will restructure his contract. The conditional 2013 pick is 1st rounder if the Raiders win a play-off game, 2nd rounder if they don't.

Very stupid on the part of the Raiders. They aren't going to win the Super Bowl this season no matter who they have at QB, certainly not with Palmer, and instead they give up a lot of their future. First round picks are worth their weight in gold again under the new CBA (affordable contracts, etc.) and have value. So what if it is a 20th pick instead of their usual 8th? Plenty of great players available at 20 - who will play for you for the next five years, not one year. So you are giving away five years of a future player for maybe a year of an old guy who isn't very good any more. Giving away best days ahead for best days behind. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I disagree with this. You have a year in which you can bring your team to the playoffs. You need a QB to manage games (which Palmer can do). You are saying that in some ways they should scrap a season that they have playoff potential in the HOPE that a pick works out later, instead of gaining a known commodity and making the most out of this season.

I disagree with this. You have a year in which you can bring your team to the playoffs. You need a QB to manage games (which Palmer can do). You are saying that in some ways they should scrap a season that they have playoff potential in the HOPE that a pick works out later, instead of gaining a known commodity and making the most out of this season.

Pryor could have put the team on his back...if they pay him more ;)

Good points but I still think it was too high of a price. Then again maybe he'll be a Jim Plunkett for them.

Good points but I still think it was too high of a price. Then again maybe he'll be a Jim Plunkett for them.

Its 1 first round pick. If they win in the playoffs its 2.
Based on their past drafts, that equates to Jamarcus Russell, Robert Gallery, Heyward-Bey, etc.
Could the player turn out? Maybe. But taking a known entity during a winning season right now is worth more to many than an unknown entity during a season that may or may not be winning.
We see this every year during the MLB trading deadline. You will always slightly overpay for the known entity at the deadline. But if they go to the playoffs, it was well worth it.

I agree with you JB and have said that all day, that it's actually a good move by the Raiders. Palmer is proven. The Raiders run the ball anyway, his job will be to not make mistakes, which I think he can do. I also think that just by having Palmer behind center, the opposition has to gameplan for that, and not just stopping Run DMC. I don't really see it as giving up to much. The difference between the Raiders and their division opponent Chargers is the fact that the Chargers have a Phillip Rivers.

I know this has to be a skim. But Ponder starting = worried/happy me.

I don't like him starting against the packers but I'm anxious to see how he does against a quality team. Course i don't get to see him play.

Very stupid on the part of the Raiders. They aren't going to win the Super Bowl this season no matter who they have at QB, certainly not with Palmer, and instead they give up a lot of their future. First round picks are worth their weight in gold again under the new CBA (affordable contracts, etc.) and have value. So what if it is a 20th pick instead of their usual 8th? Plenty of great players available at 20 - who will play for you for the next five years, not one year. So you are giving away five years of a future player for maybe a year of an old guy who isn't very good any more. Giving away best days ahead for best days behind. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

In the words of Herm Edwards, "You play, to win, the game."

Oakland fans will now feel the Redskin pains I have felt for years. Giving up draft picks for pooh pooh's. BUT I do think Palmer may work out. I sure hope so because 2 #1's is a big move.

Oakland fans will now feel the Redskin pains I have felt for years. Giving up draft picks for pooh pooh's. BUT I do think Palmer may work out. I sure hope so because 2 #1's is a big move.

Its not 2 #1s unless it does work.

About the Raiders trade... Just Win Baby!

I still hate them though.

I know this has to be a skim. But Ponder starting = worried/happy me.

I don't like him starting against the packers but I'm anxious to see how he does against a quality team. Course i don't get to see him play.

I'm happy being an owner of Percival. The kid looked good. Still some happy feet but he'll settle down. Love the quick release and handing off to All Day doesn't hurt either.

When you mortgage your future to pay for the present nothing good can come of it. Ask the Deadskins. How many years did they give up draft picks for old players, etc. and do nothing. They still haven't recovered. You can give away later round picks, but you don't win consistently by giving away first rounders. If you draft poorly that's fixable. If you don't have any picks at all - you're just SOL. The Patriots are the Patriots because they build through the draft, stockpile picks from other idiots, and then reload (and they have Tom Brady...) The Colts do the same thing. The Steelers. The Packers. The best teams use the draft and hit on those 1st and 2nd rounders more often than not, and plug holes with free agents.

You honestly think a declining Carson Palmer who hasn't played in months and wasn't playing well last time he was on the field is going to lead a brand new team and new offense he has to learn with mediocre wide receivers to a super bowl? So what it they make the playoffs in a sketch AFC West. The Texans, Titans, or Jaguars will make the playoffs from the South - it means little if that's all you do, get blown out at home in your first round game against a real team. Better to not give away too much of the future for an uncertain present with very little chance of true reward.

After seeing the handshake gate 1000x now I don't think Harbaugh did anything wrong. Shwartz is a punk and sorry loser. I just became a huge Harbaugh fan.

After seeing the handshake gate 1000x now I don't think Harbaugh did anything wrong. Shwartz is a punk and sorry loser. I just became a huge Harbaugh fan.
Same here. Harbaugh was excited and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because Schwartz didn't like the way he shook his hand, doesn't mean Harbaugh did anything wrong.

Same here. Harbaugh was excited and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because Schwartz didn't like the way he shook his hand, doesn't mean Harbaugh did anything wrong.

They were both hotheads. Each one of them reacted poorly at different times.

I can go either way with it. But, emotions were high after a big win for Harbaugh, Shwartz should have just let it go.

Remember the John Hadl trade?

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back