Spreading Ashes on A golf Course. Any Advice?

coughlin03

Reaction score
Orland Park, IL Golf Capitol of the World
Handicap
My photography mentor loved golf and played until he passed away 3 years ago. His wish was to have his ashes spread on a golf course. His 2 sons and I are doing that this Sunday. Starting as a four sum, finishing as a three sum.

Any advice? BTW, we are not asking permission or forgiveness. Steve was a WWII POW, B17 Co Pilot, great man, great photographer, like a second dad to me.

Pretty cool thing you're doing.

Just don't put him OOB, hehehe. If you are playing one of his favorite courses, put them on his favorite hole, all the way up the fairway.

Remember, there will be some bones in there.

My photography mentor loved golf and played until he passed away 3 years ago. His wish was to have his ashes spread on a golf course. His 2 sons and I are doing that this Sunday. Starting as a four sum, finishing as a three sum.

Any advice? BTW, we are not asking permission or forgiveness. Steve was a WWII POW, B17 Co Pilot, great man, great photographer, like a second dad to me.

Could you spread a few ashes on each green? That seems to be a pretty good way to do it to me. Just a thought. And yes, Steve was a great man as recorded in your bio of him.

3 sand bottles and put a little everywhere? Good luck.

Wow.. that's heavy. Do you put him in the fairway? The green? Tee box? Somewhere with a great view of the course? Good luck.

That's an absolutely awesome thing to do. I second the spreading him on each green...or on his favorite hole.

That's a very cool thing to do for him I feel. Fairways and greens I say. Hope you have a great day out there when you do this.

Just remember to double check your local laws/regulations as some areas have rules against it or limitations on when and where you can do it or require advanced permission. Good luck.

Sift out the bones and don't get caught

I've stated several times that I would not mind being spread over my home course, but I wouldn't want it done without first getting the approval of the owner. Not a big deal I guess as it is not like a hole is being dug and someone is being buried there, I just think the people that own the ground have the right to know.

I think it is great that you would do this to honor your friend.

We spread the ashes today. Three of us walked a challenging 9 hole course and we put ashes in 3 sand traps, 3 greens, and under a spectacular tress on top of a hill that over looks the entire course.

Kind of emotional at times, but we all had funny stories about Steve on the golf course.

We played a 3800 yard par 9 in less than 2 hours. A two sum behind us were pushing all day long and made a few comments about our slow play (We did not play slow) and our messing around in the bunkers. The whining was appropriately ignored.

Beautiful day. Steve loved golf and will be on a golf course for eternity.

Back