Sounds like a great Sunday morning JB. Morning rides as well as late afternoon rides are always fun. Not to mention you beat the heat

Sounds like a great morning jb. LOVE THE TWO WAY RADIO IDEA.

It really made things easier because there are times we just go at separate speeds. The two way radio plus the ear bud to go hands free were less than $50 combined and it has made it far more enjoyable.

I think this will work and I will reach my goals before the outing.

JB, what is the goal you are shooting for? Distance traveled? Time? or just keeping to the commitment of twice a week?

JB, what is the goal you are shooting for? Distance traveled? Time? or just keeping to the commitment of twice a week?

None of that actually. For me its about getting back into the shape I was in when I played other sports. Getting back to my weight from 2 years ago (170-175) rather than the 190 or so I am at now.

And more importantly for me is that I have a wife that loves fitness and its something I can do with her.

Like the idea of two way radios, especially going hands free. I need to look in to those for my rides. Glad you're enjoying the new hobby JB.

None of that actually. For me its about getting back into the shape I was in when I played other sports. Getting back to my weight from 2 years ago (170-175) rather than the 190 or so I am at now.

And more importantly for me is that I have a wife that loves fitness and its something I can do with her.

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals. I am sure you will get to the levels you want, especially with GG going along with you.

My favorite part about biking is that it's something I can do with JB that is outside of THP and it's great for us too. I have been a fan of fitness for several years now and it's great that JB can now be a part of that with me.

Like the idea of two way radios, especially going hands free. I need to look in to those for my rides. Glad you're enjoying the new hobby JB.

The two way radio was the best purchase we have made so far for biking.

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals. I am sure you will get to the levels you want, especially with GG going along with you.

Thanks dude. Its something we have committed to, to push each other to reach our goals by May.

Thanks dude. Its something we have committed to, to push each other to reach our goals by May.

I think this May there will be a few people looking a bit more fit. Good for everyone who is embracing fitness!!

Stay committed and you should be able to reach those goals no problem. Good luck and have fun with it. I find cycling, or any other sport really, to be much more fun than running and you can achieve some good results too. I love the two way radio idea! Very cool.

Just got finished with a nice Sunday morning ride. Went just under 10 miles today and it was a blast. Got some two way walkie talkies with hands free talking (ear bud) to talk with GG and it makes the rides more enjoyable.

The 2-way radio idea is a great one, need to look into that for my wife and I. JB, where do the walkie-talkies stay when you are riding, are they on the handlebars or can you hook them onto the waistband of your pants?

Ary,
I have it clipped to my waist and then the ear bud runs through my shirt to my ear. Then the push button part is right in my chest area. Works great.

Man I miss the old days of BMX and mountain biking through the trails of Virginia.

After catching up on this thread I Feel Like riding my Giant bike. Only thing is it really is a NY Giant bike. Timefor a ride with the twins

Rode a couple of trails yesterday. After I was done, I am convinced that my next bike will have disc brakes. The stopping power is worth the extra weight.

It's funny, I started a thread about this like a month ago while I was looking for a bike. Since then I discovered that purchasing a new bike was going to be way too expensive for myself and my wife. We ended up borrowing a couple of mountain bikes from my mother in law while we try to find some good used bikes for ourselves. We've gotten out on them a couple of times, taking our kids with us, and it'e been a blast. Guess I just need to change the tires as I don't ride offroad, ever. At least until I can find a deal on a road bike.

JB and GG, how are you measuring distances? Did you get some computers, or are you figuring them out by route taken on google maps?

I decided to ride to the gym after work. About 2.5 miles, easy ride there. There 2.5 mile ride home after an hour workout was brutal though.

It's funny, I started a thread about this like a month ago while I was looking for a bike. Since then I discovered that purchasing a new bike was going to be way too expensive for myself and my wife. We ended up borrowing a couple of mountain bikes from my mother in law while we try to find some good used bikes for ourselves. We've gotten out on them a couple of times, taking our kids with us, and it'e been a blast. Guess I just need to change the tires as I don't ride offroad, ever. At least until I can find a deal on a road bike.

JB and GG, how are you measuring distances? Did you get some computers, or are you figuring them out by route taken on google maps?

Bike mount and app for the smart phones.

Gosh I am super proud of you guys for this adventure! It's low impact and good for your knees. My doctor recommended biking over any other exercise after my last two knee surgeries. I have a stationary bike but envy those who can get out and ride the country!

Craigslist man. There is always someone on craigslist that is willing to part with something for little $$$ so they can support some type of nasty habit.

I have purchased a bike through craigslist.

Craigslist man. There is always someone on craigslist that is willing to part with something for little $$$ so they can support some type of nasty habit.

I have purchased a bike through craigslist.

I have been scouring craigslist for the last few weeks. All that I've really found right now are old Schwinns that need a ton of work(not capable of doing that on my own) or really nice bikes that I still can't afford. But, I guess patience is a virtue, right?

Bike mount and app for the smart phones.

I didn't know they had apps like that. I was at the bike shop yesterday looking at computers and such while I had some work done on the bike I'm borrowing. Man, back when I was a kid - the last time I really did any riding - they didn't have all those fancy electronics for your bike. Guess I need to come into the 21st century.

I have been scouring craigslist for the last few weeks. All that I've really found right now are old Schwinns that need a ton of work(not capable of doing that on my own) or really nice bikes that I still can't afford. But, I guess patience is a virtue, right?

I didn't know they had apps like that. I was at the bike shop yesterday looking at computers and such while I had some work done on the bike I'm borrowing. Man, back when I was a kid - the last time I really did any riding - they didn't have all those fancy electronics for your bike. Guess I need to come into the 21st century.

We were shocked with all the options for bikes too. I just remember as a small child graduating from my pink and white bike with the basket to my big girl black and pink bike. Who knew there were so many options out there and how serious people take biking.

We were shocked with all the options for bikes too. I just remember as a small child graduating from my pink and white bike with the basket to my big girl black and pink bike. Who knew there were so many options out there and how serious people take biking.

It's funny, I was remembering something similar going from my old BMX bike to my big 10 speed. How times have changed so much. I then started looking online and about lost it all when I saw that not only were there mountain bikes and road bikes, but then there were like so many in between options that I didn't even know where to start. I had now idea where I needed to start. Been to a couple of bike shops and have an idea of what I want, but, wow. There are so many smaller options to think about along the way, it's almost as bad as going to look for golf clubs. At least with those, the idea is pretty much the same no matter what brand or style you're looking at.

The is the typical bike path I take to the range. Had to take an alternative route today.

Last edited:
Back