Wilson Staff Review - THP Demo Day - Full Line

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
While at the 2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day, equipment was available from almost every club manufacturer around. A big part of the Ultimate Weekend of Golf is to be able to try things out both at the demo day as well as take them to the course for the weekend and see how they work for you.

Wilson Golf was kind enough to send over their full line of equipment for people to test out. Here are the products that were on the range as part of the THP Demo Day.

Di11 Irons
Ci11 Irons
FG Tour V2 Forged Irons
DXI Superlight Driver
FG Tour Irons
FG Tour Wedges
FyBrid RS Hybrids & FW Woods

Looking forward to all the great feedback from everybody that got a chance to test these out.

Dare I say that I think that this line may be some of the most underrated line in golf. But I wasn't at the demo day, so I'm really looking forward to people's thoughts! I LOVE my Ci11s.

Been looking forward to this one. Can't wait to hear others thoughts on the FG Tour V2's!

I have never really been a huge Wilson fan, but they did have some good looking stuff at demo day.

FG Tour V2 Forged Irons
- Man these are some sexy looking irons! I really love the look of these in the bag and from address. They feel even better when you hit them. I really would like to have these in the bag someday.
FG Tour Irons
- I really liked these irons a lot too. They had a nice feel to them and really looked nice.

I think Wilson really brought it this year. I really like the designs they are using in their irons. They really look great and hit great too. Thanks Wilson for sending these to demo day.

FG Tour V2:
I really liked the looks of these and found moderate success with them. The cavity back is a bit busy for my liking in a players' type iron, but the results were better than most the other players irons I hit. The crisp sound on contact was awesome and well struck shots felt great. I hit a few thin that I really felt in the hands, but thats to be expected in a forged iron. The cavity seemed to give good forgiveness on misses to the heel or toe. These were probably a bit too much for me to game full time, but I was surprised how well I hit them occasionally.

CI11 irons:
These were a top performing iron for me on demo day. I normally like black clubs, but wasnt really a fan of the glossy black look on these. I dont know if they were just too new and that would wear, but found it a bit distracting at address looking into the sun. The CI11s flew high and straight, even on my toe misses. The distance was very comparable to my Burner 2s, and the trajectory was a bit higher than I see today. I did run into some issues with these digging into the turf too much, not sure if that was swing related, or tied to the beaten up section of range I was hitting from.

First off, I've been a Wilson Staff homer since I started golfing, but I always look at things as critically as I can. I didn't love a few of the items I hit, but I still am a full fledged W/S fan.

Dxi Superlight - I really didn't care for this driver at all. I didn't hit it very well and I wasn't overly impressed by the sound either. It was on the loud side for sure. It really looks nice, but I found a couple other lightweight drivers to work much better for me when it came to results.

Fybrid RS - I didn't hit this on the range, but I did use it for two rounds of golf. I took the 3h version. I hate to say it, but I much prefer the older Fybrid I already carry in my bag. For some reason, the head shape appears much larger to my eye than the old one. I didn't really care for the feel/sound compared to the old version either. I didn't have as much success with it on the course as I expected, which was sort of a bummer. That being said, I watch Yoccos pound the ball with it a few times. I just chalk it up to being not a great fit for me as there were some people that really liked it.

Ci11 Irons - Possibly one of the nicest looking irons out there at Demo Day. The piano black finish really pops out at you, along with the white lettering. Distance was pretty good and I found the ball flight to be on the higher side, which is a good thing. I liked a few other irons more than these, including the V2 irons in my bag right now, but they are a quality set that should be appealing to a large segment of golfers. They sort of fit right in between the GI and players irons categories.

V2 Irons - Just a quick note to say this. I said one thing quite often during the rounds of golf we played - "I wish I had my irons right now." Say what you will about forgiveness or distance, but the V2's have been there for me during some of the best golf I've played, including my personal best performances. For me, they work quite well. In addition, they are simply amazing looking. Not to mention that you can pick them up for a couple hundred dollars less that similar sets.

Ci11 Irons:
I did not hit these at this demo day, but spent probably 30 minutes with them about a month ago. They are really great, attractive, awesome feeling, and productive irons. I used to bag the Ci7s and if you have ever hit those, you'll fall down at how good the 11s are. Consistent mid-high ball flight. For me, maybe a 5-7 yard gain off well struck shots. They felt effortless to me with good balance and confidence-inspiring lines. I would bag these without reservation and watch everyone gawk at my W/S love and performance...REALLY!

FG Tour V2 Forged Irons:
The one W/S offering I really wanted to hit on Demo Day, this club did not disappoint me. My ballstriking has been improving, so I wanted to start looking at forged offerings with the slightly smaller heads to see how they'd fit my game. I was hitting some really good, long, 5 irons with such a nice little baby draw. I was aiming at a certain practice green on the range and was hitting almost the same ball each swing. The look at address is GrEaT and the feel on nicely hit shots was phenomenal, to me. I'd say if you're a great iron striker and at minimu a mid handicapper, these would fit well in your bag. At this point in W/S's current lineups over the past few years, I no longer even think of the name Wilson Staff and just know that I've hit enough of their newer equipment to know it's for real, and on par with even the biggest of OEMs.

DXI Superlight Driver:
Wanted so badly to hit the tar out of this driver but just couldn't. I know that the face is wider than taller because most amateur misses are side-to-side, but the overall face height got in my head, I think. I totally just went under a couple tee shots, skying the ball about 150 out and 150 up! I tried teeing it down and telling myself it's just a giant 3W but then I was topping balls. I'm sure it would be just an adjustment on my part, and the few balls I did hit before I got frustrated were nice, penetrating baby draws. The one thing I did like, was the look of the club. Nice looking driver.

FG Tour Wedges:
Buttery feel on pure shots and I found them easy to dial in on distances. I was focusing on the green that was about 65 out in front of us and dropping ball after ball on the green. I was able to very easily hit low punch-type shots at the green that would hit short, check nicely and still come reasonably close to the hole, while also being able to open it up and hit high flyers onto the green and watching them just bounce and stop. At this price point, these are great wedges!

(Side note, unrelated to THP Demo Day: My home course had Wilson on property about a month prior to the Outing and both the club Manager and Pro are now bagging Ci11s. I don't know what the Pro gave up, but I know the manager well and he gave up a set of Razr X's that he said he'd hit until the day he died.)

Ci11 Irons - I reall love these irons, in fact, I currently have a set. The looks of these are slick, blacked out and just want to be hit. Very thin leading edge, nice profile to them, and just get the job done. Like others have said, they are a nice in-between of a GI and a GE iron. Distance is phenomenal with these irons, and I have always seen a very tight shot dispersion with them.

FG Tour V2 Irons - Some of my favorite looking irons. Very compact head size on these, again with a thin leading edge on the sole, and I really like the weight to them. I have always said that the scoring irons in this set are some of the best irons I have ever hit, but I struggle with the long irons of the V2s. My biggest struggle with them is on my mishits and getting a slight harsh feel at impact. One thing I really like about these irons is the fact that I dont have a problem getting the ball up in the air quickly, just seems to be easy to do with these. I was glad to hear a lot of folks talking about these at Demo Day, and was excited that so many THPers had the opportunity to swing them.

FG Tour Wedges - Keeping with the W/S good looks, these were a must hit for me at Demo Day. I had never seen these in a store, nor had I gotten the opportunity to hit them prior to Demo Day. I was very pleased with the results I saw out the FG Wedges. In my time with them around the green and 1/2 swings in to the practice green, I did not struggle with chunking in to the ground at all with them. Turf interaction was nice, and just all around an easy wedge to hit. I would have liked to see some more spin out of them, but I think pairing it with the right wedge shaft would make them very, very good. With my focus being on wedges, I was glad I got to spend time with these, as I think if I were to look at a shaft upgrade in these, they could easily be one of the top wedges I hit during Demo Day.

Yep, just as I expected....Ci11 love!

When the PGA Pro at my home course, who is a Titleist staffer, says that the Ci11s are buttery, you know they're good.

Ci11 Irons - These irons were the top dog for me at demo day. I hit ball after ball straight with a nice flight and tight dispersion. I probably hit these more than any other product because I was amazed I was not spraying these things left, with my all too often snap hook. I was not too sure about the glossy black finish but got use to it after pounding some beauties down the range. I would love to see these in a gun metal type finish however with they way they perform, I would it hit em in pink gloss!

Ci11 Irons - These irons were the top dog for me at demo day. I hit ball after ball straight with a nice flight and tight dispersion. I probably hit these more than any other product because I was amazed I was not spraying these things left, with my all too often snap hook. I was not too sure about the glossy black finish but got use to it after pounding some beauties down the range. I would love to see these in a gun metal type finish however with they way they perform, I would it hit em in pink gloss!

You should award yourself with a set ;)

Love the thoughts coming through! Gray you need to OEM yourself a set at some point.

OG needs the Ci11s!!

Wilson love is good to see. I'm a big fan of Wilson Staff gear.

You should award yourself with a set ;)

I had a set of Wilson Staff irons years ago and I mean YEARS ago. Back then the blades were either hit well or you paid your dues. The ci11 irons are a totally different animal so yea, I think they would be well accepted in my bag :thumb:

Loving the comments so far. I put my Fybrid HS back in the bag and I can't figure out why I ever took it out. Thing is a beast and I expect the same from the newer RS model.

Great feedback on the Ci11's. Would love to hear more on the RS Fybrids.

Ci11 Irons - A real looker. The black finish on them just seems to grab your attention. Thinner topline and sole, but a large cavity in the back to give you forgiveness. I was pretty impressed with them overall. They hit the ball kind of high for me which I liked. I didn't think they felt as good as other irons out on the market, but that is all personal. These can be found for a very attractive price, so I would include them on any list.

FG Tour V2 Forged Irons - I've liked the looks of these since I first saw them. No fancy finish on this one, just a great looking package. Seemed to have some forgiveness built in to the smaller headshape. Paired with the KBS Shaft, I enjoyed the performance I got from them. I didn't find the leading edge too sharp so I didn't experience any kind of constant fat shots or digging with them.

DXI Superlight Driver - I'm kind of unsure about this one. I was a fan of the DXI driver last year, I thought it was forgiving and super accurate. I'm not sure this was much of a step in the right direction. I like the idea of going lighter, but I didn't see the performance that made me like it as much as last years model. I do like that they went with the all black look to it, esp on the face. I wanted to spend more time with it than I did, but overall I would say it's a middle of the pack driver.

I was really excited to get my hands on a few of W/S offerings at demo day.

Ci11 Irons: I haven't completed gotten on board with the "murdered out" irons yet, so I am a little offset by the looks of these. I really wish we received the silver version they have over seas as well. I was seeing a nice high ball flight out of these that seemed to be flying a good distance. My dispersion was very good with these. The feel on these were a big harsh for my taste, not terrible but not great either. Forgiveness seemed to be lacking compared to other irons in the GI area. I'm sure I could game these and be very happy, but there are better options out there for me.

FG Tour V2:
These are a great looking iron at address, they just look like they are tools ready to be used to stick the ball close to the pin. I liked the feel of these, and really think I could love them with a different shaft. They were not lacking in feedback and you could tell immediately where you hit the ball on the face. The forgiveness seemed to be a little lacking compared to a couple other options, but they were not punishing irons. I could game these and be very happy. I would love to him them with a px shaft.

Fybrid RS 3w:
After seeing TC's and some others thoughts on this club, I was extremely excited to hit this club. It was probably the biggest let down of the outing day, I just couldn't do a whole lot with this club. I wasn't seeing great distance, my ball flight and direction was inconsistent, and the feel just wasn't there. I'm not sure what happened there.

Seems like most everybody that attended is a fairly lower handicap and was hitting the ci11's and Tour models.

I wanted to provide a little feedback on the Di11 irons. After reading all the + reviews here on this forum I figured what the heck and gave them a try in the stores. 2 weeks ago a local course had a demo day and I must say I was really impressed with the rep that Wilson sent. Right away he was very nice and could tell I am not the best golfer in the world (I shoot high 80's low 90's). He had me start out with a bone stock di11 7i.
He asked what I play now and I told him Burner plus irons 3/4" short and 2* flat. So we tried a 7i in 1/2" short and 2* flat. On the lie sticker the contact was on the toe so we went back to the neutral lie iron and 1/2" short. Wow...ball was going right where I was aiming and the lie sticker was dead middle. I was pretty stoked at how the club felt and how he took the time to fit me. Found a killer deal online and bought them.

So far I've only had a chance to play them for two 9 hole rounds but loving them so far.
My only gripe is the extremely strong lies in the 9 through GW. Would have preferred more of a 5* separation between clubs instead of the 3.5* or so. That seems too tight to me. I think I am going to need to add another wedge (possibly a 52*) to compensate for my gaps now. Not a deal breaker by any means though.

If anybody is in that 15-25 handicap range I highly suggest taking the Di11's out for a test drive.

FYI, The Wilson rep had me try the ci11's at the local demo day as well. They felt equally as good if not better than the di11's but I noticed the di11 helped with my mishits a little more.

Ci11 Irons:
These sticks are bad @ss looking as everyone has said. I was gaming Ci7's off and on over the last two years and the Ci11's have improved in a few areas. They're definitely more forgiving! When I was hitting them at demo day I was rewarded on good contact but also was not as harsh on mishits. The feel has stayed similar and that is a great thing. Ultra soft at impact and they just rip through the turf! They dont seem to get stuck at all and even fat shots dont dig as much as Im used to with the Ci7's.

Im not 100% sold on the looks as I think the cavity is a bit odd but the look at address and the topline is phenominal. The stock shaft is also a bonus. Solid through the swing and is made for a smooth tempo. You hear smooth a lot but its really a tell to the manufacturers and how they've been really good at picking stock shafts. One of my favorite Wilson Staff irons and honestly, one of the best deals out there.

FG Tour V2 Forged Irons:
These irons are my favorite in the Wilson staff line. Decently forgiving but not in the CI11's league. Toe hits arent rewarded haha. They're soft at impact, although honestly, I didnt feel they were any softer or sounded much different than the Ci11's at impact. Sure it was different but it was similar and that is a good thing. I think these have a very unique sound/feel. They're definitely more muted than other players I've hit but I kinda like that.

They're paired with a KBS shaft and that is a good fit for these heads. I hit the ball decently high and the trajectory was good. Rising type ballflight and it landed really soft. They dig some into the turf but thats expected. I dont mind as long as they dont get stuck and I didnt do that at demo day. I want a set. At some point I will have one.

FyBrid RS Hybrids :
I only hit this once!!! Hawk had it during our PM round and I needed a 200+ into a par 5 green. I had just snuck my drive into the water so I needed to get on or close in two so I could have a chance at saving par. I blasted the 3h! WOW. The ballflight was high and penetrating. It landed softly on the fringe and left with me an easy chip and putt that of course I missed haha. But man, I was impressed and may look into one down the road. it just glided through the turf. What a smooth hybrid.

The RS Fybrids seemed to be getting pretty mixed reviews. I am looking forward to more, its one that I am considering now as they make a 6h which might work well instead of a 5i.

FG Tour V2 Forged Irons:

My personal outing favorite. Easily some of the best looking clubs at the out there in my opinion. From the first time I picked them up and gave them a hit, I knew they were something special. At address, they had a nice thin topline and smaller head. The feeling at impact was that of pure euphoria. Just as smooth as can be without any vibrations. The swingweight was very comfortable without feeling too heavy or like I had to force the club to get any distance. Amazingly, I felt like I wasn't losing much distance versus my current 2.0 irons. Even though they were weaker lofted, I was only losing about 5 yards.

When hitting these, the irons were much more forgiving than I expected. While toe shots still punished you, it wasn't uncommon to get 80-85% of that distance without any spray left or right. Heel shots were a bit harsher with distance and spraying but nothing more than what you would expect from a forged players iron. The head combined with the KBS Tour shaft was a great combo for me. The shaft felt solid and helped launch the ball nice and high. The grips felt comfortable and were plenty tacky for the hot Florida sun.

I ended up coming back to these irons multiple times over the day and eventually borrowed them to take on the course. I found myself using them for shots that were wrong distances just so I could hit them. It was almost addicting playing with them. Over the course of 3 rounds, the clubs worked very well and were very accurate. I had never played a Wilson Staff iron until that weekend and after my experience, when I get ready to replace my irons, these are at the top of the list.

I was waiting to hear what you had to say after taking them on the course, Jefrazie. Sounds like you may have found a winner in the V2's.

I was waiting to hear what you had to say after taking them on the course, Jefrazie. Sounds like you may have found a winner in the V2's.

They were a big suprise. Like I said, I hadn't played a WS club before and I came away very impressed with them. It looks like others are having similar feelings about them as well.

Back