Any Slicefixer Fans?

mward - I do have a tendency to sweep the ball and not take a good divot. I definitely need to work on that! I was using a 10 finger grip in this video and was really trying to work on getting the left hand stronger but I know I need to overlap that right hand and get it higher. It just felt awkward. I will work on that harder and try to get a video for you. This is great help guys! Thanks so much.

mward - I do have a tendency to sweep the ball and not take a good divot. I definitely need to work on that! I was using a 10 finger grip in this video and was really trying to work on getting the left hand stronger but I know I need to overlap that right hand and get it higher. It just felt awkward. I will work on that harder and try to get a video for you. This is great help guys! Thanks so much.

Do you think you would sweep if you put it back in your stance a little more. This would promote a downward blow and solid contact

Awkward in this game is good, that means you're doing something different. It felt incredibly awkward for me too at first. Now I don't think twice about it. If you still don't have it down, we'll hang out at the outing and I'll show you how bad I do a 9-3 drill haha

Here's 2 more minutes of boring video if you want to critique my swing even more. It's all about the same except I do take a little more divot here and there. I agree that moving the ball back a little will help with that. I usually play it further back with my wedges. I'm hitting a PW here. Does it matter which club I use to do the drill?

How did those shots look, did they go right? You set up is nice. The reverse K looks good. Ball position looked good as well. Your shoulder turn is a little short. If you can try a little more shoulder turn.

How did those shots look, did they go right? You set up is nice. The reverse K looks good. Ball position looked good as well. Your shoulder turn is a little short. If you can try a little more shoulder turn.

I think I was hitting these pretty straight. I get a little confused about what I should turn and sometimes turn too much to the inside and have big draws/misses left. That's why I'm here. My irons are so good one day and then so bad the next. I need to get this figured out!

Here's 2 more minutes of boring video if you want to critique my swing even more. It's all about the same except I do take a little more divot here and there. I agree that moving the ball back a little will help with that. I usually play it further back with my wedges. I'm hitting a PW here. Does it matter which club I use to do the drill?

For 9-3 drill work, I only use a wedge. Gap, approach, sand, lob, doesn't matter. I don't really use pitching wedge that much but that's just personal preference. Anything high lofted and short, and here's why. Short clubs like that you don't really try and kill. They're also a lot easier to hit straighter than a driver. The point of this drill is to train your body to have the pivot in control of everything. It's not about hitting it far using this drill. It's about compressing the hell out of the ball so you get to know that feeling if you've never done it with any regularity, and to learn the proper feeling of how your body and club act in the area prior to, at, and post impact. Once you have that area down solid, then it's just a matter of extending the back swing 10:30 or even 12:00 if your body is flexible and strong enough to do it.

This was me a few hours ago messing around. It's a lot easier btw to learn this kind of swing just working on your short game. You don't feel the need to kill the ball, so you really get your pivot doing the work.

mward, that is an AWESOME SHOT !

A GREAT SWING you have !!

Do you recall what wedge you hit in that particular video ?

Yur AWESOME ! OH YEAH ! When I grow up I wanna swing like that :)

Man this thread took off!! Went to the range. Had my video camera. My son stole the tripod out of my bag. So I do have some video but it's hand held by a shaky 7 year old. I hit the ball really well today but I was not doing a very good 9 to 3. I will try and find some footage that won't cause seizures. Marc and MWard thank you so much for all the help. If I missed a helpful person it's because I'm skimming after football.

mward, that is an AWESOME SHOT !

A GREAT SWING you have !!

Do you recall what wedge you hit in that particular video ?

Yur AWESOME ! OH YEAH ! When I grow up I wanna swing like that :)

Just a 56 degree wedge. Nothing fancy

Here is my attempt with a LW. Man it really felt like I was doing a solid 9 to 3. Lots of work to do. I also took some shots with a 7I and was killing them. I'll see if I have any non shaky cam shots of that.

Here is my attempt with a LW. Man it really felt like I was doing a solid 9 to 3. Lots of work to do. I also took some shots with a 7I and was killing them. I'll see if I have any non shaky cam shots of that.

Chunk it's not bad, keep working! A little at a time. Really hold that angle on the down swing and pull through with the left shoulder

That little bugger is great for this drill as it can work as a huge reminder. When you feel it hit your forearm, stop turning back. That should help for if you see yourself on video running your arms on past your shoulder turn. A huge no-no in this drill. When the shoulders and torso have stopped turning, your arms should stop too. Also, it'll help with wrist hinge and let you know if you have too much or too little hinge. It'll also work as a reminder if you're really cupping or bowing your wrist and missing the guide.

FWIW guys, practice this more with little pitch shots and such and then move towards the bigger stuff. I know it's tempting to try it out on the longer stuff and at full speed (and I'm just as guilty as anybody on this and I'm only using short irons) but it really is a lot easier to do it on short shots where you're not trying to kill it. Short pitches lead to 50 yard shots. 50 yard shots lead to full shots with a wedge. Then you can move to longer irons.

For any of us making a huge change like this, this is gonna take time. Geoff said to me when I was getting frustrated, "your brain is like a computer. You're getting mad when you don't have it, but you have years of the wrong code built into your system. It's gonna take time to re-write that code. If you get mad, take a breather, then go hit some sort pitch shots until you get a bit of confidence going. Then go back to it."

I hit 100 balls again today but it didn't get any easier than yesterday. My instructor has been trying to get me to hit buckets of short shots like this for a long time. He says it will help me get rid of the problem I sometimes have with flipping. I used my 54* SW, an interlock grip, and shortened my swing to just a short pitch shot type swing. I tried to hinge a little today and made a mess of it so I quit worrying about that right now. It's a work in progress and as always am very open to advice. Was I pressing my club too much? Swaying? Going too far inside? Turning all wrong? It just never felt right.

KellyBo - here's my input, first my disclaimer, I AM NOT by any means an expert, low handicap, teacher, or pro .... so take my input with a grain of salt. To be frank about it, I'm reluctant to provide input because I don't want to cause any confusion ... might be best if I just watch, listen and learn :)

It looks to me that you have a tendency to RISE UP in your back swing. I would know better if in your next video you could try to include your head in the vid. One of the things you might think about in order to stop rising up in the back swing is to think about your hips staying level. The amount of FLEX in your knees should remain the same on the backswing as it were at address. The motion is a 'rotation' around the spine, so you 'rotate' back, don't rise up, then rotate forward and through.

The press on the iron did not look exaggerated to me, it's one way to help ensure that you lead with your hands. We couldn't see the ball flight, but the contact looked good from what I saw.

One of the things you mention is that you were using the interlock grip, for me, the overlap grip is more comfortable, the interlock grip seems to hurt my little finger.

Thanks Omikey! You're not the first person to tell me that I raise up like that. I have a serious flexibility problem and I really need to do something about it. Looking at these videos really inspires me to go back to the gym with Ole Gray.

I got a text from Marc that he is flying into Shreveport tonight. He will have 3 days with Slicefixer this week. I think this is his third visit. He usually stays with him for 3 days each time he visits.

Going back to the gym can only help !

WOOT, lucky Marc !!

Thanks Omikey! You're not the first person to tell me that I raise up like that. I have a serious flexibility problem and I really need to do something about it. Looking at these videos really inspires me to go back to the gym with Ole Gray.

I got a text from Marc that he is flying into Shreveport tonight. He will have 3 days with Slicefixer this week. I think this is his third visit. He usually stays with him for 3 days each time he visits.

He and I were talking about his upcoming trip a few days ago. I'm very jealous of him right now as I would love another 3 days with Geoff.

I'll see if I can get a video of my setup and me doing a 9-3 drill. I don't do it absolutely perfect yet, but I'm better now at it than I was in August. I'll record it in slow motion if you want so it's easier to see some small stuff in it.

He and I were talking about his upcoming trip a few days ago. I'm very jealous of him right now as I would love another 3 days with Geoff.

I'll see if I can get a video of my setup and me doing a 9-3 drill. I don't do it absolutely perfect yet, but I'm better now at it than I was in August. I'll record it in slow motion if you want so it's easier to see some small stuff in it.

I would love to see that mward.

I would love to see that mward.

I'll see what I can do. Hopefully I have even just a few minutes to take a quick video. It's kinda light dependent so the darker it gets, the less video I can do.

Kelly, you'll know you're doing it right really just based on the feelings you get. You feel a stretch in your left side, you'll feel taut. You really feel the ball compress off the face and it'll have a different sound. To me personally it feels like it's a 7:30-4:30 drill but on video it's sometimes 9:00 or 10:00. Again, much easier to do slowly for a while. I think of it like when we all learned to walk. We didn't show up and start doing the 100m sprint. It took standing up first and getting settled into a new feeling. Then the first steps were slow and we often fell down. Once we got used to it slowly, then we could take more steps and eventually speed it up. After a while you're running at full speed and knocking stuff over lol

FWIW.. I got bored and wanted to try a super high shot with this new swing as that was a shot I always had with the old. Just being able to hoist a ball up and over stuff when need be can be useful, and this shot could really get the ball up fast. It would go about 20 yards shorter than normal. Tried it with this swing last night and while a couple of bad traits seem to have carried over (Head dip. Always comes around when I'm trying to go hard at the ball) the ball has never sounded like that and it was probably 5 yards shorter than normal. The tree is 10 yards or so in front of me and a pretty good size.

I tried the 9 to 3 today at the range today. Pretty tough to do consistently, I used my PW and just easy ( 75%) swings it was nice but frustrating too. One pin was 85 yards so that was my target pin, some shots were money but I could feel the bad ones was me coming over the top instead of inside. This is going to be tough if I stick to it.

I went out again today and hit about 100 balls on the range. This time I used my 54* SW for the first 2 buckets and then took a full swing with my 8 iron on the last bucket. I felt like I finally had a break through of some sorts today. I focused on keeping my lower body still, really coiling and keeping my left arm stretched out, and didn't press my club quite as much. I could feel that big pull when I turned. I went back slowly and worked on a good tempo. By the time I got my 8 iron out, I was really striking the ball well and much longer than usual.

I decided to go out and play 9 holes and was just shocked at how far I was hitting everything. I gained one club length distance today and hit some really great shots. I even hit one 8 iron shot to 1 foot from the hole. Even my chipping was so much better. I had one chip in and one lip out chip. Didn't keep score since I was just out hitting balls but it sure was fun today.

Thanks to everyone, especially mward for your help. I'm going to keep working hard while the weather is so nice. It was 76* today.

Last edited:
Nice going KellyBo !! sounds like you're making some really good progress, and having FUN while doing it ..... it don't get no better n dat !!!

Kelly glad this is working for you. Holding that angle is going to put some length on all your shots. Sounds like you were executing the swing very well today.

Nice going KellyBo !! sounds like you're making some really good progress, and having FUN while doing it ..... it don't get no better n dat !!!

Kelly glad this is working for you. Holding that angle is going to put some length on all your shots. Sounds like you were executing the swing very well today.

Thanks guys. I don't know if it has anything to do with the angle but I think taking the little slide out of my hips and really stretching back and coiling better had a lot to do with it. I also hit down and through a lot better. I'm such a short knocker and I need all the distance gain I can get. For example, I usually only hit my 8 iron 110 yards but easily carried it 120+ today. The ball flight was super high. I have always had a pretty high ball flight but today was even higher. That's probably because I didn't press so much and I was doing a better job compressing the ball.

Back