LPGA on the Main Land

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
After this weekend's tournament the LPGA will have played 7 events so far this season with 5 of them being away from the mainland of this country (1 in HI) and only 2 of them here. Does anybody else find that incredibly odd?

After this weekend's tournament the LPGA will have played 7 events so far this season with 5 of them being away from the mainland of this country (1 in HI) and only 2 of them here. Does anybody else find that incredibly odd?

jb,

great point... i guess they are going where the money is? also, with so many fantastic foreign players on that tour i would expect to see more tournaments off the mainland ... :confused2:

• Admin
But I believe that they are in a bit of a catch 22, because if they keep playing off shore, then American fans do not catch on to the game, and then they do not get more sponsors here.

But I believe that they are in a bit of a catch 22, because if they keep playing off shore, then American fans do not catch on to the game, and then they do not get more sponsors here.

yea, good point ... but, i think with globalization now the "new thing" we will start seeing more and more tournaments off shore... which for the record is fine with me ...

maybe, they will have a tournament every week ... i would rather see more tournaments oversees than none at all on some weeks... because, i really enjoy watching the lpga...

yea, good point ... but, i think with globalization now the "new thing" we will start seeing more and more tournaments off shore... which for the record is fine with me ...

maybe, they will have a tournament every week ... i would rather see more tournaments oversees than none at all, because i really enjoy watching the lpga...

That would be fine if they actually televised the events, right now they aren't.

Wow. Even I hadn't done the math on that.

And it's actually 8 if you count the January HSBC LPGA Brasil Cup.

Even more disturbing (to me anyway), is the fact that, of those 8 LPGA tournaments in 2009, only 4 had any television coverage at all. And of those 4, the HSBC Women's Champions had (virtually unwatchable) 1 hour of daily (wrap-up) coverage.

And the first major of the year had only 2 hours a day of scheduled coverage (except for Sunday, which had 3).

Weak.

EDIT: Sorry for some of the repetition. I had to fact check.

Harry,
At the end of this year, they do it again with 3-5 more events no where near the states.

lack of money, or lack of interest from american viewers?

That is an interesting question, I'm not sure how well LPGA coverage is viewed. Naturally all or most of us on this forum would like to see it shown but for the average sports fan I don't have a clue.

Any thoughts on this one Harry?

Hopefully, next year when GC's rights to the LPGA broadcasts kicks in, GC will expand all the coverage and will broadcast the foreign events.

EDIT: I'm not sure MO. I'm afraid I'm too biased to look at the situation with an open mind. I can't tell if it's lack of demand or lack of supply.

That is an interesting question, I'm not sure how well LPGA coverage is viewed. Naturally all or most of us on this forum would like to see it shown but for the average sports fan I don't have a clue.

I personally don't think the average sports fan would watch the LPGA if you paid them to. I actually was laughed at by a few guys at work because I watched the Kraft Nabisco tournament. Hell i didn't care, it was good golf & I can relate more to the women as oppsoed to the women because I we have similar distances:D

Where have they been? I don't follow the LPGA at all. Like in other continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, etc.) or like in the Caribbean, etc.?

Brazil, Thailand, Singapore, Mexico, and Hawaii so far this year.

France, England, Canada, South Korea, China, Japan, and Mexico (again) later this year.

I personally don't think the average sports fan would watch the LPGA if you paid them to. I actually was laughed at by a few guys at work because I watched the Kraft Nabisco tournament. Hell i didn't care, it was good golf & I can relate more to the women as oppsoed to the women because I we have similar distances:D

Very true, however most of the non-golfers that I talk to won't watch PGA events either. Do the guys who were laughing watch regular PGA stops, just majors or none at all?

They will watch majors or any event Tiger is playing.

EDIT: I'm not sure MO. I'm afraid I'm too biased to look at the situation with an open mind. I can't tell if it's lack of demand or lack of supply.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that Classic Economics 101: Supply creates its own demand.

ClairefromClare said:
Wasn't that Classic Economics 101: Supply creates its own demand.

No, that was Reaganomics.

Rats--I liked that one. Nice and cozy. Plus, I like Leta Lindley a lot, and it was fun when she won it last year and Cole came running at her on the eighteenth green. (Rats again--couldn't find an image of that.)

I know. It deserves to be saved. More people came to spectate than lived in the town. It was their big sporting event for the year and, from what I've heard, the players are treated like family.

I know. It deserves to be saved. More people came to spectate than lived in the town. It was their big sporting event for the year and, from what I've heard, the players are treated like family.

Not only are they treated like family, a lot of them stay with the same families year after year.

If they cancel Jamie Farr's tournament, I may slit my wrists.

Back