Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you define big market vs small market? San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the country, behind only NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

Markets are determined by many factors including viewership. But while San Antonio maybe the 9th most populated, the area surrounding it has very little making it right around 30th when determining their market size.

Thanks for the info, population is not significant by itself then. San Antonio is a big city but you are right it is surrounded by empty space, like Phoenix.

That is why in the latest numbers that will be coming out soon, the Tampa Bay area will be moving past Phoenix. An area just north called Pasco County was just included in the numbers and added a tremendous amount of people.

No offense to Jank, but San Antonio is no where near a big market team. Making solid draft picks to build multiple championships has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a team is "big market". Based on that, the Knicks and Clippers must be tiny markets in "basketball terms". San Antonio is a team that was built well and succeeds based on that, but you used the phrase "basketball terms are different" which is just not correct. Having a winner and being able to keep up with the large markets are two very different things.

Having marquee teams is just fine. Many times based on tradition and location. Nothing wrong with a team earning that and being in the limelight. However since you used the example of football, I think its kind of fitting here. The Colts from Indy are not exactly marquee. Yet from the time they drafted Manning, they certainly became that way with the face of football on every commercial. Winners, etc...Winning should make a team the marquee team, not how much money they spend. In the NFL small market competes with big market because every single team is on a level playing field. In the NBA you have the Lakers spending 3 times what some other teams are spending and it is not a level playing field (Its not just the Lakers, they are just the highest payroll). Max contracts were a start, but when is the last time you saw the a small market team like the Bucks, Kings, or heck I could list 10 more make a splash in free agency? They cant because the luxury tax is demanding on the smaller markets.

In this post JB, you quoted my comment about how much money Jay-z actually has. Can I ask why? I agree with your thoughts. I am just confused about how i was included. Did you thoughts about how Jay-z partnership affects the small/big market dynamics?

In this post JB, you quoted my comment about how much money Jay-z actually has. Can I ask why? I agree with your thoughts. I am just confused about how i was included. Did you thoughts about how Jay-z partnership affects the small/big market dynamics?

I forgot to reply. You said Jay-Z did not have as much as Prokhorov. Why would he have to? They are partners and the Nets ownership that includes both of them have some of the deepest in the league.

I forgot to reply. You said Jay-Z did not have as much as Prokhorov. Why would he have to? They are partners and the Nets ownership that includes both of them have some of the deepest in the league.

Right.

I guess my Jay-z comment was because it was mentioned that the Nets have a ton of buying power with Jay-z involved. Or something to that effect. My point was that Jay-z isn't the primary source of cash for the Nets. He definately adds some, but not nearly to the level of Prokhorov.

local sources are reporting the D. Howard is going to ask to be traded to the nets and has no intention of signing with the Magic next year. Sad day in Orlando. Training camp opens today so I guess we will see.

The NBA is broken. They had the chance to fix it. But missed the bus.

I don't mind Kobe. He works really hard and is totally relentless. He's done winning championships and being in the upper tier of NBA players, but I still hope he succeeds.

Done being in the upper tier? Really???? I can't.

I scrolled own a little more and saw one of your other posts on the first page.... wow.

Done being in the upper tier? Really???? I can't.

I scrolled own a little more and saw one of your other posts on the first page.... wow.

Wow - thanks for letting me see that again Tmod. To not think that Kobe is in the upper tier is silly at best. He is the upper tier. If he isn't 1 or 2, then he's 3.

So does the new CBA allow for players to quit on their current contract and pick which team they want to go play for?

Wow - thanks for letting me see that again Tmod. To not think that Kobe is in the upper tier is silly at best. He is the upper tier. If he isn't 1 or 2, then he's 3.

I was shocked. I think he is a horrible person... but if he isn't one of the best, then I obviously have no business watching basketball.

This is a huge mistake by the NBA I was already on the fence for liking/disliking the NBA, this just puts them down the ladder for me, what a joke!

Man, the sh!t is hitting the fan today with this deal being cancelled around the NBA. If I was a betting man, and I am, I say that this deal goes through by the end of today. The NBA and Stern look really really bad right now, and they are going to find a way to save face. This was a very good deal and according to some sources, David Stern felt "bum rushed" by the owners and just cancelled the trade in a rush.

This fits the pattern that has been established by Stern over the past few years, he wants to make sure teams in the east are competitive because he knows that the NBA needs to be relevant in those areas to really thrive. This is why you would see a trade of CP3 to NY or NJ approved with no problem.

This fits the pattern that has been established by Stern over the past few years, he wants to make sure teams in the east are competitive because he knows that the NBA needs to be relevant in those areas to really thrive. This is why you would see a trade of CP3 to NY or NJ approved with no problem.

The reports are already out that NJ is in the running for Howard and he wants to go there. NJ doesn't want CP3 because they already have a better point guard, and the Knicks have nothing to give for him. This was a GREAT trade for NJ, GREAT and there was no reason to kill this deal. The league looks really bad. This trade was put together by three of the most well respected GM's in the league, and it sets a really bad precedent.

My opinion - there is no better point guard in the NBA right now than CP3.

I will take Darren Williams all day and twice on friday but that is person preference and what I like in a point guard. CP3 would be my second choice, but there is no question about how good he is.

NBA sucks esp David Stern!

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

NBA sucks esp David Stern!

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Thank you for adding valuable info to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back