Buy the best equipment you can afford

Play whatever you want. Yes, it helps immensely if you know your specs and I think everyone should but beyond that spend what you want and play what you like.

I'd buy the best that I could get for the cheapest. Irons are fine as long as they're made really from 2000 and on, just depending on the type of forgiveness you need. Wedges you can buy the old 588's for next to nothing or even the first edition SM vokeys. Fairway woods and drivers you might want something from the past 4 years but you won't drop more than a hundred and fifty on it if it's 08 or older. Fairway woods, there have been so many good ones it's tough to pick just one.

... unless its a Scotty Cameron putter. :alien:

I would just buy the most expensive equipment I can find from the biggest and most popular companies because that must mean that they are the best right? :D

I would just buy the most expensive equipment I can find from the biggest and most popular companies because that must mean that they are the best right? :D

This made me laugh.

I saw a set of Maruman irons last year that were a $100,000...you better start saving Damaikis. heehee

I think it's ok to buy whatever driver you want, as long as you have the right shaft in that head. The shaft is the motor IMO.

I'm also not sure how I feel about buying the best equipment you can afford. I truly believe that certain equipment is just far superior to others.

I agree with you .... the bolded text above was so I could ask this :

BEST, in what regard, in whose opinion, how measured, etc

as we all know, most expensive, best marketed, etc DOES NOT = BEST

I think its funny how we are able to see what each other is gaming and largely, THPers are sporting a mixed bag from the various companies (MC participants excluded). Whereas my experience at the course bears witness to people buying what is hot and having a bag full of one brand, likely regardless what is best for them. I almost feel bad for those folks, they are only hurting themselves.

That's one of the biggest reasons I like fitted equpment so much. When you hit a bad shot with it, you can't blame it on anthing but your swing. I have a tendency to blame my equipment some times. And when it is something I was fit to, I know there is nothing to blame but myself.
I ran into this same thing once I got fitted for my irons, I knew I had made a good investment in equipment now it was my fault if I screwed up. I also know now that I need to get fitted the next time I get a driver and putter.

Better you than me, one will never become a member of my collection.... :banana:

Couldn't argue with the price and once it was bent with the weight jacked up a bunch it's been pretty aweome. Wouldn't pay retail for it but it's still a nice putter.

I experienced this concept when buying my current irons. I didn't get fitted, because I didn't know about that whole process. What I did know is that I didn't have tons of money but refused to buy a junk set from Wal-Mart. So I found the best quality irons, with the best reviews, for the cheapest price. I ended up with my Wilson staff ci9's. Paid $230 for them and have loved them. Had I bought a set of Wal-Mart Wilson's I would've hated myself for it and definitely use the equipment as an excuse. Oddly enough it was through this process that I found THP. I have learned a ton since then.

Couldn't argue with the price and once it was bent with the weight jacked up a bunch it's been pretty aweome. Wouldn't pay retail for it but it's still a nice putter.

I wouldn't say a Scotty will never be in my bag, I just know I'm not going to go looking for a new one. If I were to come across one I liked that made the putts at the right price, sure I'd but it. I'm no fan by no mean's, but that goes with any piece of equipment.

I personally think this is an absolutely asinine statement. I hate to be serious in my response, but you could outfit yourself with 14 clubs that were custom made for tour players that you buy off of them. With this reasoning, that should be the absolutely best equipment you can buy because it will be the best technology available paired with the best shafts available. But guess what? They are the best for Martin Kymer, or Dustin Johnson or Bubba Watson. If I played D.Johnsons clubs, I would probably lose 30 yards off my drive because there is no way I could get his shaft to load unless I was just swinging completely out of my shoes and then it still would not be enough.

I say, buy what is best for you and then look at the price tag after you were fitted. If the best is out of the price range, you could certainly find another set that gives you the same numbers that is cheaper. In the end you can play Miura blades because they are technically the best forgings available (for arguments sake) or you can play a cast iron that is much cheaper that will actually forgive your mishits.

Now that I think of it, playing the best you can afford will give you more excuses than you have ever had before.

You know I'm only telling the truth for me whilst busting your balls ST! If it works, roll it buddy!!!

I think its funny how we are able to see what each other is gaming and largely, THPers are sporting a mixed bag from the various companies (MC participants excluded). Whereas my experience at the course bears witness to people buying what is hot and having a bag full of one brand, likely regardless what is best for them. I almost feel bad for those folks, they are only hurting themselves.

I would strongly disagree that I am hurting myself. My ego may hurt my game by buying clubs that don't benefit my game. Luckily I have a bag full of a certain OEM who makes clubs that cater to my needs. Not to say that others clubs are not super awesome. They are, I just like a certain brand right now. A lot

I would strongly disagree that I am hurting myself. My ego may hurt my game by buying clubs that don't benefit my game. Luckily I have a bag full of a certain OEM who makes clubs that cater to my needs. Not to say that others clubs are not super awesome. They are, I just like a certain brand right now. A lot

Nothing wrong with that Mark, if you like them and they give you confidence then your game will show it!

I agree with you on this. Just getting back to golf after a five year hiatus, and have all taylormade except my wedges.. Tried all the others but kept coming back to the taylormade clubs. maybe when I get to be a better striker of the ball I'd think of changing clubs?

Im not so sure that buying the best clubs you can afford is the best route. IMO, youd be much better off buying some really good used clubs and spending the rest of the money on lessons instead of going out and buying the latest and greatest clubs on the market.
The best clubs in the world arent worth a darn if you dont know how to swing them properly.

Back