Dumb Question: Gap Wedge, Attack Wedge, Pitching Wedge

JPanamera

Reaction score
Handicap
twenty-ish
Can someone breakdown these terms once and for all for me (rookie)? Kinda am embarrassing post, but I had to. Thanks for the help...

Pitching wedge comes after
9 iron.

Then attack wedge(49-50 degrees), then gap wedge(52 degrees)

Pitching wedge
the goto club after the 9 iron, in the range of 44 - 48*

A (attack) wedge - rarely found, I think
the goto club after the pitching wedge, in the range of 48 - 50*

Gap wedge - the distance found between the pitching wedge and the sand wedge - i.e. 'The Gap'
the goto club after the Atack wedge if you have one, otherwise after the pitching wedge, in the range of 50 - 52*

Lob wedge -
the goto club after the sand wedge - the highest lofted club in the bag, in the range of 58 - 64*

ANYONE feel free to correct me, heck I'm new around here too :D

Well you learn something new everyday, never heard the term "attack" wedge before. Knew some manufactures put an A on their wedge following the pitching wedge but never new it stood for attack. Thanks for the knowledge.

I believe attack wedge and gap wedge are just different names for the exact same club .... the club to fill the gap in loft between PW and your sand wedge. With PW lofts getting stronger all the time, gap wedges are pretty popular.

Attack wedge is a newer term, probably born for marketing reasons as it sounds cooler

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I believe attack wedge and gap wedge are just different names for the exact same club .... the club to fill the gap in loft between PW and your sand wedge. With PW lofts getting stronger all the time, gap wedges are pretty popular.

Attack wedge is a newer term, probably born for marketing reasons as it sounds cooler

I don't believe it's so. Because its made by the oem, it's made to follow the pw, which is never going to be 52* in today's iron sets.

I agree that the gap and approach wedges (we call em approach) are one and the same.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

I don't believe it's so. Because its made by the oem, it's made to follow the pw, which is never going to be 52* in today's iron sets.

Well I've seen gap wedges with different lofts and never ever Sen both an aw and gw in the same set

I always thought AW meant approach wedge and was pretty much the same thing as a GW. Like G4L says I have never seen a PW GW/AW SW set ever. Not saying it doesn't exist.

If you have a low lofted PW I suppose you could call your next wedge an AW, next a GW, then SW, LW. Something like 44 48 52 56 60. I could see a 48 wedge getting an AW designation as lofts become increasingly strong.

I'm going to say that it depends on the manufacturer in my set of Cleveland's i had a D wedge @ 50 degrees it was after my pitching wedge and now in my set of cobra's I have a G wedge also at 50 degrees. I think when you get into wedges it's more important to look at the loft rather than the letter on the bottom. I still don't know what the D stood for.

[h=2]http://www.ehow.com/about_5412889_approach-wedge-vs-pitching-wedge.html

Approach Wedge[/h]
  • The approach wedge, or attack or gap wedge, is a higher-lofted club than the pitching wedge but with less loft than a sand or lob wedge. It is meant to cover the yardage between the pitching and sand wedge on difficult in-between shots. The approach wedge has lofts around 50 degrees.

As always, thanks for everyone's feedback

Another name for the Approach/attack/gap wedge is the utility wedge, I think Ping is the only one to use that name/letter.

A little off topic here but, My next purchase will be a 52* wedge. I plan on carrying a P,A,G,S,L. Seems crazy, but I have about a 25 yd gap between my A and S wedges right now. They are 49* and 56* respectively. AW is a burner the 56 is a vokey. I think that also contributes to the gap problem.

I'm going to say that it depends on the manufacturer in my set of Cleveland's i had a D wedge @ 50 degrees it was after my pitching wedge and now in my set of cobra's I have a G wedge also at 50 degrees. I think when you get into wedges it's more important to look at the loft rather than the letter on the bottom. I still don't know what the D stood for.

I think all of these types of wedges used to be in the 50°-52° range until manufacturers started strengthening their lofts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

approach,gap, attack all the same club

A little off topic here but, My next purchase will be a 52* wedge. I plan on carrying a P,A,G,S,L. Seems crazy, but I have about a 25 yd gap between my A and S wedges right now. They are 49* and 56* respectively. AW is a burner the 56 is a vokey. I think that also contributes to the gap problem.

That's not crazy, I game the same combo. 50* that matches the irons for about 125-135yds and a 52* that matches my wedges for about 110-120 yds.

Totally agree Kyle...but I'd take it a step further. Rather than the name or loft, call it your "103 yard club"...know the distance on a full shot of every club in your bag. In the shorter end of your set, try to keep your distance gaps as tight as possible. The goal with high lofted irons and wedges are to have tight loft gaps...which give you tighter yardage gaps on full shots. If you look in the bags of players with better short games, you'll see loft gaps of 4-5° above the 8iron.

We have some good basic information on wedges, history and purpose of each on our website.

http://www.scorgolf.com/wedges-101/

$%28KGrHqQOKnUE4Kwm1i%21dBOOICpl%28uQ%7E%7E0_35.JPG

You could do that, but I'd just bend the 49 to 50 and the 56 to 55 and have 5 degree gaps through my wedges.

You could do that, but I'd just bend the 49 to 50 and the 56 to 55 and have 5 degree gaps through my wedges.

I ended up getting t 52* wedge and I am already liking it. I now have what is considered 5 wedges in my bag. PW, AW, 52*, 56* and 60*. I never really like taking partial swings with my burner AW. Now I feel like I have 3 wedges that allow me to do different things around the green and from 100 yards and in.

I didn't use my 3 wood much and could only hit maybe 5-10 yards longer than my 2h. Hopefully this is a change that will increase my scoring opportunities.

I ended up getting t 52* wedge and I am already liking it. I now have what is considered 5 wedges in my bag. PW, AW, 52*, 56* and 60*. I never really like taking partial swings with my burner AW. Now I feel like I have 3 wedges that allow me to do different things around the green and from 100 yards and in.

I didn't use my 3 wood much and could only hit maybe 5-10 yards longer than my 2h. Hopefully this is a change that will increase my scoring opportunities.

I use the same setup, PW (45), AW (50), 52, 56, & 60. I'm pretty bad with 1/2 or 3/4 wedge shots, so I carry more wedges than most I would imagine. Plus, when you get in trouble, I think it gives you more shot options.

D stands for dammit, which is what you say after mis-hitting it again.

I always thought AW meant approach wedge and was pretty much the same thing as a GW. Like G4L says I have never seen a PW GW/AW SW set ever. Not saying it doesn't exist.

If you have a low lofted PW I suppose you could call your next wedge an AW, next a GW, then SW, LW. Something like 44 48 52 56 60. I could see a 48 wedge getting an AW designation as lofts become increasingly strong.

This is exactly my understanding, when they first needed to fill the gap between the PW and SW all of the 1st ones I saw were called AW for Approach Wedge, then some began calling the the GW for Gap Wedge later, I also remember Callaway simply calling their's a 10 iron.

Another name for the Approach/attack/gap wedge is the utility wedge, I think Ping is the only one to use that name/letter.

I had forgetten that one, but I have seen U wedge listed too.

Back