achase215

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
So going to be in the market to replace my CCI forged with some more forgiving clubs and looking for some suggestions / advice. I have been to the local shop and hit a bunch of different clubs (JPX pro, Razr x tour, a12 pro, ap1, cleveland cg16 tour, r11). I like a thinner top line and looking for overall just more forgiveness. Am I missing anything that I have not tried that I would like? I will definitely be fit as I am 6'2" and probably will need some extra length and lie. Just looking to keep it around $600. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :golf::golf3:

I was fitted for clubs last fall and was surprised by the results. I'm 6'1" and thought I would need at least 1" longer shafts. Your arm length actually has more to do with the shaft length than the height. I only needed about a 1/4" added but went with 1/2" since I don't like to grip the club at the very end. As far as the clubs are mentioned, being left handed I don't really get to try many clubs so I can't really give you an honest answer. My biased answer would be go with TM's. But to each their own.

Well i'm sold on the Razr X Tours after watching this

Man, I am 6'4 and I use to game the CCI forged irons. Since having them I've had X22's, Burner 2.0's, Razr X Tours, and now the R11's. I would highly recommend the RXT's or the R11's, especially coming from those irons. I think both offer fairly sleek lines like you're use to, but both are far superior in the forgiveness arena. To me, the R11's feel softer than the RXT's but the RXT's are a bit more explosive off the face for me. One other thing, the RXT's brushed nickel finish is much easier on the eyes in the sun compared to the R11's. I've had much better results with the R11's, as far as GIR's go, so I'm happy with them. But either of those sets would be my recommendation.

If you weren't so tall I would say I have a set of TM MC's for sale but they would be a little short for you. I would go with TM or Cleveland. They both have a lot of great products out that fit you need.

If you weren't so tall I would say I have a set of TM MC's for sale but they would be a little short for you. I would go with TM or Cleveland. They both have a lot of great products out that fit you need.

Are yours standard length, because just because he is tall doesn't mean that he needs longer clubs. Maybe just a lie angle adjustment and this is easy to do on the MCs since they are forged.

@TC have you tried the a12 pro? I hit these and really liked them I will have to go back and try those 3 again I want to make the best decision to increase my GIR stats. I do not tend to slice or hook my irons usually just pull or push the shots. I do not need strong lofts for added distance either hit an easy PW 150 yds.

Yes my MC's are standard throughout. They have KBS tour x stiff shafts with white tour wrap grips. Let me know if you would consider them

Tapaway!

@TC have you tried the a12 pro? I hit these and really liked them I will have to go back and try those 3 again I want to make the best decision to increase my GIR stats. I do not tend to slice or hook my irons usually just pull or push the shots. I do not need strong lofts for added distance either hit an easy PW 150 yds.

No, I haven't tried the a12 pro. The RXT's and R11's aren't traditionally lofted but they're pretty sweet. They sure do look good though.

You could probably find a newer set of MX-300's for that price and even save a bit of money. Thinner top line I belive than the JPX 800 Pro's and very forgiving.

Just bought the ping i15s today they feel great!If your looking for a cast iron they have playability and forgivness (although not as much as their G series brother)

Have you considered Super Game Improvement Clubs like the Callaway Diablo Edge irons or comparable? I really like my razr x's. Good luck, been seeing a lot of cool irons due for 2012.

Swtiched over to the razr tours recently and really like 'em. Thin top line and compact head but nicely forgiving.

I like a thinner top line and looking for overall just more forgiveness.
Thinner top line + Forgiveness = :bridgestone: J40 Dual Pocket Cavity
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15174

J40-Irons.jpg

Last edited:
Well the R11 might be working its way into the bag after hitting them today on the simulator. I went and hit on a Foresight simulator which I guess a lot of major companies are going to for indoor hitting. So hit the 6 iron with KBS stiff in it, and holy cow is all I have to say. PGA pro asks what club I got say 6 iron sets "green" at 180 yards I say that's about right. Good swing on it and SMASH!!! 199 CARRY!!! had a 3 yard fade, next shot 197 CARRY! same thing little baby fade, next shot 195 CARRY! could not believe it. Then the pro says "I thought I hit my irons a long way" I then lost it a bit and did not hit anymore really pure shots, but those three in a row were the best feeling shots in a long time. Hit the Razr X Tours and hit them okay but just lost my swing I was in dress shirt and shoes so not the best golfing attire.

@nextgen I have looked at SGI clubs at address and just can't do it!

@felit0 no one around here sells Bridgestone so I would have to purchase without hitting them not a fan of that.

Any other thoughts or comments keep them coming!

I think the Razr X (non-tour) would be more comparable to the R11's so you could try those. JPX 800 (non pro) aren't too chunky and are supposed to be very long.

I would agree on the Mizuno MX300, if you can find a set in decent condition. One other you may want to check out is the older Callaway X22 Tour model. I played a set of these before I got my MX300's and they are a nice club for the money. I also really like the R11's and will probably be getting a set soon. I'd sell you my Mizuno's but they are reg shafts, so no good for you.

Earl

Back