Do you prefer to pitch or chip?

gr8dryv

Big Boned
Reaction score
Handicap
Job & Kids
I've always played my short shots as a pitch with fairly good success, but I played with a group this weekend that really lit it up with chips that rolled right up to a comfortable putt range. I'll be practicing that a lot more with a variety of irons and wedges. What's your strategy on when to pitch vs chip, or do you just do one all the time?

I like playing them both equally and will generally let the lie, and the terrain between my ball and the pin dictate the type of shot I will play.

I'm more comfortable with chips. I feel like I have less distance control with pitches.

If there is a question, I almost always chip. I like the ability to take a tough break out of the equation.

Pitch and putt.

I like playing them both equally and will generally let the lie, and the terrain between my ball and the pin dictate the type of shot I will play.
Same here, depending on what is between the ball and the hole will determine how I play it.

I used to prefer pitching to the exclusion of chipping. Even on the fringe, I would take out my 63 and try to hole it. Now, I look back and think "what an idiot!"

my pitching is wildly inconsistent, so i guess i'll say chipping.

Chip for me, that means I'm close to the green or don't have to go over a bunker. But I am also fairly happy with my pitching though my distance control should be better.

The lie, distance and if I need to carry an object along with if the ball needs to run out or stop quickly. I try to get the ball on the ground and rolling as quickly as possible in most cases.

Back