GPS vs Range Finder

Check out Leupold GX-4... it can be a no-slope mode or a slope mode w/ club selector and tons of cool stuff.

From my understanding, you can turn the Slope feature off on the V2. However, even with it turned off, it is still not permissible in a round which you count toward your handicap. With that said, I just cant see myself spending an extra $100 for the Slope feature when I know it cant be used.

My understanding when the GX-4 came out that there is a removeable piece that when removed the unit is tournament legal, there was some controversy as to wheather or not this is true, I don't know the final verdict but it may be tournament legal because of the removable piece as opposed to simply turning the feature off on other units, it would be worth checking out if you really wish to have one with slope. But be warned it is expensive.

My understanding when the GX-4 came out that there is a removeable piece that when removed the unit is tournament legal, there was some controversy as to wheather or not this is true, I don't know the final verdict but it may be tournament legal because of the removable piece as opposed to simply turning the feature off on other units, it would be worth checking out if you really wish to have one with slope. But be warned it is expensive.
I would rather play it safe and go without the Slope feature. Save a bit of cash, and most of the courses down here dont really have significant elevation changes.

I do have experience with rangefinders as I have a Bushnell V2. I like it because you can use it anytime anywhere. No slope of course as they are illegal in tournament play. I have GPS on my Android but my battery life is el stinko. So I haven't had a chance to use it. I can't remember what App it is.

Alex

I have SkyDroid (price $3.99) on my Android (Samsung Infuse) and I use about 1/4 of my battery during a round of golf, it is a pretty good GPS IMO and I recommend it to anyone not wanting to keep all of their stats on their phone. This app is simply a GPS with no extras. I use the yardages on it slightly less than I use the GX-1.

I have SkyDroid (price $3.99) on my Android (Samsung Infuse) and I use about 1/4 of my battery during a round of golf, it is a pretty good GPS IMO and I recommend it to anyone not wanting to keep all of their stats on their phone. This app is simply a GPS with no extras. I use the yardages on it slightly less than I use the GX-1.

I'll have to look into it for sure. Yeah my phone in general is lucky to get 4 hrs of battery life. The cell company swear that it's fine... I think not. Thanks for the heads up. I use a Samsung Galaxie. See that sounds perfect...no bells and whistles.

Alex

I would rather play it safe and go without the Slope feature. Save a bit of cash, and most of the courses down here dont really have significant elevation changes.

That is what I chose to W E, I just did not see paying the extra. One of my friends has a 1600 w/slope and I will ask him sometimes to verify my

calculations on a hole and it is rare that I am wrong in clubbing up or down on an incline or decline because of my calculations (guesstimations :D) on the

difference. I don't think you will really miss having a unit w/o slope.

That is what I chose to W E, I just did not see paying the extra. One of my friends has a 1600 w/slope and I will ask him sometimes to verify my

calculations on a hole and it is rare that I am wrong in clubbing up or down on an incline or decline because of my calculations (guesstimations :D) on the

Personally speaking I wouldn't get one with slope. I find having the little bit of calculating to do keeps your mind stimulated... and I like that.

Alex

When the caddies walk the course to get yardages, do they use the slope version or the non-slope version? I hadn't thought about this before until all this slope talk got started recently!

I like that thought Smallie, I have never considered it either but I too suspect they use the slope version as they are simply out mapping the course and gathering as much information as possible. I would be surprised if they did not use the slope being as how I would think all of them get the units for free and slope would probably be included on that free unit anyway.

From my understanding, you can turn the Slope feature off on the V2. However, even with it turned off, it is still not permissible in a round which you count toward your handicap. With that said, I just cant see myself spending an extra $100 for the Slope feature when I know it cant be used.
I don't keep an official handicap, and if I didn't use the slope feature I wouldn't hesitate counting it as a handicap round. (If I got a unit with the slope feature).

I have had one for over ten years and it doesn't have slope. Whenever I do get another one, if I can get a good price on a slope unit, I might get it just to have it. Who knows. But I'm cheap, so I'd likely go with a non slope unit anyway!

TBH 90% of the golfers on here are most likely not good enough to be in a serious tournament where your true handicap matters, so having a unit with slope and counting the rounds towards your handicap is not going to kill you. If Smallville gets a unit with slope and counts it towards his handicap (no offense) but he's just got good enough for it to really matter. I'm not near that good either, I just prefer playing by the rules.

From what I have heard they use the slope version when mapping a course.
Interesting, shows what I know.

Personally speaking I wouldn't get one with slope. I find having the little bit of calculating to do keeps your mind stimulated... and I like that.

Alex
I agree, its part of the fun to know what the yardage is and then take into account the air temp, elevation, wind, ect, and see if you calculated it right.

TBH 90% of the golfers on here are most likely not good enough to be in a serious tournament where your true handicap matters, so having a unit with slope and counting the rounds towards your handicap is not going to kill you. If Smallville gets a unit with slope and counts it towards his handicap (no offense) but he's just got good enough for it to really matter. I'm not near that good either, I just prefer playing by the rules.

It does kind of go with what you mean by serious tournament. I certainly am not an accomplished golfer by any means, but I play in 4 rather large tournaments that my company (I am a retiree) has each year and all of them are 2 man best ball. You are not flighted by your handicap, but the rules of each state that USGA rules will be adhered to, so that means no slope on the rangefinders and they will state that in the rules sheet they put in our carts before each tournament starts. I realize some could go ahead an use them but that is the same as moving your ball from behind a tree IMO, if it is against the rules you are not supposed to do it.

It does kind of go with what you mean by serious tournament. I certainly am not an accomplished golfer by any means, but I play in 4 rather large tournaments that my company (I am a retiree) has each year and all of them are 2 man best ball. You are not flighted by your handicap, but the rules of each state that USGA rules will be adhered to, so that means no slope on the rangefinders and they will state that in the rules sheet they put in our carts before each tournament starts. I realize some could go ahead an use them but that is the same as moving your ball from behind a tree IMO, if it is against the rules you are not supposed to do it.

I never move my ball from behind the tree... i carry a chainsaw with me now and cut the SOB down!!! hehehehe

I never move my ball from behind the tree... i carry a chainsaw with me now and cut the SOB down!!! hehehehe
Hey why not! If a boulder that takes 10 guys to move out of the way is a moveable obstruction, then why can't a tree be? hahaha

(I know that was ruled a loose impediment, but calling it that wouldn't work here)

Hey why not! If a boulder that takes 10 guys to move out of the way is a moveable obstruction, then why can't a tree be? hahaha

(I know that was ruled a loose impediment, but calling it that wouldn't work here)

No too many boulders on the courses here.. otherwise.. c4..... but that can get messy!! hehehe

I didn't realize you couldn't post scores with a slope rangefinder, but I still want the GX-4. It is sweet!

I want to play in a 2 man best ball with you WR :thumb:

I didn't realize you couldn't post scores with a slope rangefinder, but I still want the GX-4. It is sweet!
That's only if it's turned on, right? What does it matter if you aren't using the feature, for handicap purposes. I can see a tournament not allowing them because people could cheat and turn the slope feature on.

Still not sure what the big deal is if you use the slope feature for a handicap round anyway, it's only going to help you get your handicap lower, and if you can't use it in a tournament, then it's just another form of a vanity handicap. If I was going up against someone with say a 15 handicap, I'd rather it be a vanity handicap instead of a real one because he'll be at a disadvantage.

I could not find the USGA definition of an actual golf club, they only list the definition of a club with members etc... The definition of a golf club found elsewhere is 'a clublike object with a slender shaft and a heavy wooden or metal head used to strike a golf ball in the game of golf.'

So no, the saw would not be a counted as a club. Ball retrievers and umbrellas don't count, so why should a saw?

I have a GX-4 and yes, it' sweet!

I recently purchased a Callaway Nikon Rangefinder and I absolutely love it! I had used the Upro for the previous year and the downloading of courses bothered me. Playing college golf you travel a lot and I did not like having to load and find courses. The rangefinder you can still use in the trees and use to pick up traps and hazards.

I've got an interesting question for you all now, I've used my iPhone in the past but it's just too cumbersome now and I'd like to get a dedicated device to do the yardages from now on. My problem is I'm now playing one course all the time with my membership, and there are a lot of holes I can't see the pin on for my second shots, I really just need the Front/Middle/Back yardages for the most part. Any recommendations on a basic, cost effective device to get the basics down. I don't want to pay an annual fee, but since I only really need one course I don't know if I'd have to keep paying for them. Or am I totally off and a laser finder is best anyways. I'm really confused.

I've got an interesting question for you all now, I've used my iPhone in the past but it's just too cumbersome now and I'd like to get a dedicated device to do the yardages from now on. My problem is I'm now playing one course all the time with my membership, and there are a lot of holes I can't see the pin on for my second shots, I really just need the Front/Middle/Back yardages for the most part. Any recommendations on a basic, cost effective device to get the basics down. I don't want to pay an annual fee, but since I only really need one course I don't know if I'd have to keep paying for them. Or am I totally off and a laser finder is best anyways. I'm really confused.
Swami Izzo 3000, there is a THP review here that was done very well by GolferGal that explains it all.

CB I really hope your Hybrid shows up today! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Back