Bought Mp-68 blades .. am I going to regret it ?

I started playing golf only 3 years ago.. my first full season I was a 20 index. Then the following year. Is go down to a 15 index while playing with taylormade r11s. Iron ball striking was what killed me. Then I decided to buy a new set. I went with the taylormade mb's. This year I started at 15 and got down to 9.0 index. So I can't stand when people say you shouldn't be playing those or these. It's completely bull. I worked hard knowing that it wouldn't be easy to play them but I knew I would be able to because of practice. Yea you loose forgiveness but if you can in grain a consistent swing you will be fine. Forgiveness is great IF YOU HIT IT STRAIGHT... if you slice it with an iron the only thing forgiveness will do is make travel further to the right. I think it's funny but people give you advice and there handicaps never change. For me I know that if I had kept those r11s irons I wouldn't be where I am at today. I have been in the shoes your in now with people saying don't play them you won't be able to play just use it as motivation and prove them wrong.

@highvoltage... It is pleasing to hear another positive switch to MB's. Your own story reads like your game has gone to another level and now your current handicap reflects the amount of time and effort you put into your game. I find that very encouraging because with my previous irons I began to think (doubt!) I had reached the lowly heights of my ability.

@Rambler... Having been caught up with the "can I hit these clubs" aspect the confidence I gained from yesterdays round is priceless. There is no doubt I will have bad days with these clubs and I'm under no misconceptions about my own ability. But what can never be lost is the fact that I have proven to myself I can play these irons and hit them well as surprising as that is. Long and short iron play is what got me hooked in the first place and feel I can again begin to enjoy the game, celebrating the good shots and trying to learn from the mistakes.

Rambler said:
Whether that's because of a swing tweak, luck, or a change in which irons you are gaming, confidence can go a heckuva long ways in golf.

True that. I feel very fortunate for whatever the reason.

Cheers

try them for yourself. if you hate them, get rid of them. If you like them, keep them......If you love them, marry them ;)

I have found that playing less forgiving irons has improved my ball striking. That may simply be that I have to focus more because I know I can't get away with a lazy/poor swing, but I have found it to be true. That being said, I will look for slightly more forgiveness with my next iron purchase (players cavity back).

Not to belabor the topic, but I can't wrap my head around "focusing" more because of playing blades.

Not to belabor the topic, but I can't wrap my head around "focusing" more because of playing blades.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it simply comes down to people being wired differently. Perhaps the smaller head causes them to focus more or something. I personally feel that mishits are more pronounced with muscle back irons than they are with cavity back or game improvement. That's not to say I can't feel the mishits with cavity backs because I can, just that the mishits are more pronounced with muscle back.

Play what you want. simple as that.

But I find it funny when someone tries to argue that switching to blades was a better idea for them because they got better after practicing more...you got better because you practiced more. The club switch didn't do anything. If the club switch for some reason made you practice more, then so be it. But it's not that a switch to harder clubs magically made you better. you got better from more practice.

In the end, there is a reason a good amount of players on the PGA tour don't even use blades. But again, play what you want. I fully understand the lust for blades, as I get bit by that bug every now and then as well...but if you need to get reassurance from others to do so, you're probably doing it for the wrong reason.

Well if the club switch caused them to practice more, then you can't really say the club switch didn't do anything.

I don't think anybody here is claiming switching to blades magically made them better, in fact they have mentioned numerous times that it's simply caused them to focus more.

Have you ever thought about making better contact with the ball then actually succeeded at it?

That.

Aim small miss small. Its simple but really this argument has a lot merit in my opinion.

If you're going to quote and bold a specific line in the post, can you at least read until the very next sentence? If buying super hard to hit clubs makes someone practice more, then great. but it's not the clubs themselves making you better no matter how you want to spin it. They simply won't.

I read the entire post and I still stand by my post.

It's not up to you to decide what is making someone a better golfer. If they believe it's because they switched to a harder to hit club, then that's what they believe. If you don't like that, that's just too bad, because you don't get to decide that for them. There are no facts to this conversation, it's a matter of what is working best for that individual golfer. Just because a club is easier to hit, doesn't mean that it's going to make someone a better golfer.

C'mon guys stop.

C'mon guys stop.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative, but reread it and understand how it came off that way. deleted those out as they didn't serve any purpose.

Wasn't trying to be argumentative, but reread it and understand how it came off that way. deleted those out as they didn't serve any purpose.

It was a good conversation bud, no need to delete the posts. I think we were both just misunderstanding each other.

Have you ever thought about making better contact with the ball then actually succeeded at it?

That.

why not just focus more with forgiving clubs? And to answer your question more specifically, no I have never mentally willed myself into a better swing. If I had that much control over my body and club traveling 100mph+, I would be on tour.

Well I recounted earlier in this thread my very recent switch from a GI iron to MP 68's. In short, I know 100% the new irons have not made me a better player nor have I practised any more than usual in the last 3 weeks. But my first round with them resulted in probably the best dozen iron shots I have ever hit. My best being a 7 iron 200 yards from a slightly elevated tee to within 6' of the pin. I used to hit a 6 iron here with the GI irons and usually ended up in the bunker on the left or just short.

18th%20hole.jpg

So for me the difference can only come down to being better focused and concentrating more. Or, by some other twist of fate my used set of clubs fit me better? Who knows, but the whole point here IMO is this. This game is difficult enough as it is and it can be cruel sometimes also. So take what you can get when you can get it and worry not how it comes.

why not just focus more with forgiving clubs? And to answer your question more specifically, no I have never mentally willed myself into a better swing. If I had that much control over my body and club traveling 100mph+, I would be on tour.

I think there could be multiple reasons. If you mishit with forgiving clubs and you get results that don't differ too much from your good results, then one might not feel the need to worry much about it. However if you are mishitting and getting drastically different results from your good shots, one might focus more. Or it could just be a matter of focusing more because the club head is a lot smaller. I've seen training devices for putters where it's just a square block the same size as a golf ball which is designed to help you make consistent contact putting, so it could be a simple mind game like that which helps a golfer.

And it could just be an excuse to use muscle back clubs because they look so sexy. Either way though, if a golfer thinks it's helping them, I don't think anybody should try to tell them different. Because who knows, maybe it is helping them.

I've spent the past 8 months playing this hole with the only swing I've got and never found the green. 6' from the pin on my first outing. Enough said unless you think I wasn't trying with my GI irons.

You will become a better ball striker, and be flighting balls at the pin, rather than aiming for it with cavity backs, landing 'some where' and not knowing what happened with little feedback. Tip: strike through the ball to a good finish with a blade

Last edited:
You will become a better ball striker, and be flighting balls at the pin, rather than aiming for it with cavity backs, landing 'some where' and not knowing what happened with little feedback
It is possible to flight a GI iron.

I came from R9's and moved to MP 52's and i don't regret the switch. Oddly, I played better with the semi blades than with the bigger cavity back.

I'm cool with my MP's and they're my gamer irons.

You will reach the point where you're no longer thinking that you're using blades as you address the ball.

Enjoy...

Very difficult to do IMO. But I think we have discussed this topic before.
It's possible. It's doable. It's not ideal. But it is doable.

Back