How Often Do You Practice Out Of Bunkers?

NEVER. But my home course has no bunkers...

Almost never. There is only a couple of privet courses around here that have a sand area to practice from and I don't get many chances to to go there.

Maybe once or twice a year, I am pretty confident hitting outta bunkers.

Not very often for the same reason some others have already stated. Not many if at all decent practice areas with bunkers around here.

Even with that, I'm still confident and semi-proficient out of bunkers.

Not very often, because the range at my current course doesn't have a bunker to practice out of, and very few on the course, as well. Also, it would be a lie to call the bunkers on the course consistent. Some have sand, but many don't, so it's not much different than hitting off the desert hardpan.

There is really only one practice facility that I go to that has a bunker area. I proabably practice there 5 times throughout the summer. I always make sure to spend about 20 mins each time I am there

My club has two great areas for bunker practice (one of which is right next to the range so you can hit longer shots too) but notwithstanding, between May and now, I've only done it three times. Really a mistake. I know I should do it more but it just never seems to happen. I was in three bunkers yesterday and managed just fine but without that practice I just didn't have the confidence stepping up to it that I really need. As course management and reducing errors goes, bunker play is one area where things can go from bad to worse really fast if a shot is sculled or left in the bunker.....hmm, I really need to commit to more practice next season.

Not as much as I'd like, its tough to find any facilities that include short game practice by me let alone bunkers

Not nearly enough! And I need to. The main reason is both courses I practice at do not have any practice bunkers. I have to improvise and practice on the course if it's slow. Now that courses around here are emptying out, I'll hopefully get some more time to get bunker practice in.

Every time there is one available to me. I love hitting bunker shots.

I used to not, then the last few times I've been to courses that have a short game area with one I've started. I've gotten noticeably better out of them and can hit them high and soft now, which is quite nice.

More importantly, I can figure out real quick what I did wrong when I hit a bad bunker shot.

Not often enough. We have a practice bunker, but I don't get to it near enough.

Rarely but when I have the time before a round I will try and hit a few otherwise I don't go in it at all

Not often at all. I seem to do quite well out of the green side bunkers so I don't want to try and fix what's not broken. I work on fairway bunker shots more because I struggle with those.

When I see one I will drop some balls in there but they are few and far between. I am close to the U of M course by the bunkers are for lessons and golf team members only.

I was doing it once a week before the Gauntlet, since then only one time. I need to get back in the habit of going once per week.

My home course has a great practice area with a huge bunker so I really don't have an excuse to not get out there and work on it.

Last edited:
Right now almost every range session, which tends to be 2 times a week lately. I only spend time hitting 10-15 green side bunker shots and 10-15 long fairway bunker shots, and it's not enough (for me/my skill level).

Not nearly enough. I think I was only in the practice bunker at the club twice this summer.

That's on the practice list for next season.

Oh, about 2 or 3 times per round. :laugh:

I can remember doing it a few times at a couple of different courses, but it has been a long time. While I'm no bunker expert, I have the confidence I can handle about 90% of the situations that might come up. By handle I mean get out of the bunker, advance the ball towards the hole, and leave myself with a makeable putt. There are many times on an errant approach shot I'm hoping to be in the bunker over having the awkward shot from the rough.

No practice bunkers make it tough for me to practice. If I'm playing a solo round, I may drop an extra ball or two in there to play around a little.

Come this spring I'll get in at least one session a week. They are rebuilding the practice area at the club and it will add a second bunker. I'm lucky as the practice facilities there are some of the best I've gotten to play on.

i think the common theme in this thread is that we don't practice enough. I certainly could use some extra time practicing in the sand.....I think i will hit the range tonight and hit a bucket in the sand ;)

Not enough & only because the practice bunkers are in horrible shape where I practice. I try to rake and make them as playable as possible, but it's a crap shoot.

Very little, although we have one at our practice range. Never really thought about it but it's not very smart considering the number of bunkers I end up in and the availability of our practice bunker. This is something I'm going correct as I go forward!!! Thanks for the thought!!!!

Back