TaylorMade M1 Fairway Wood Preview

Ordered an M1 HL with Hzrdus Black 75 shaft. The 15* 3 wood was simply going too far to be of any real use on the course so I'm going with the 17* HL and a 43" shaft. The dispersion with M1 was tighter than with any other option and it was easy to hit a nice little fade which was ultimately the decision maker
The fixed hosel on the M2 was a deal breaker for a shaft ho/tinkerer like me plus I didn't really like the stock Reax in it and was unable to demo with anything else.

XR16 and LTD were pretty much equal with M1 in performance, but the LTD launched lower and both LTD and XR16 like to go left on me.

M1 Fairway

M1 Fairway

Just ordered m1 15* fairway with Rogue Silver 70 X to match my M1 driver. Can't wait to hit it on course.

Picked up my M1 3 HL/ Hzrdus Black 75 today.
Such a nice flight!!!

Here she is next to my M2 driver!
be8fb3d22ea8ea096c1349856c7c4b74.jpg

fb032fbc5489ac7be01b4d75b0f66775.jpg

Anyone compare the M1 against the M2 fairway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit both the M1 and M2 3HL fairways today. After how much I love my Driver I couldn't wait to test these out but sadly I pretty much hated both of them. Couldn't out carry my 6 iron. I tried the 915fd after, something that instantly felt familiar and saw much better results.

Not giving up yet though, I didn't care for the driver either until I hit it with the right shaft combo and now it's my favorite club ever.

I played a pretty tight course this morning where I was only able to hit driver 5 times so needless to say the M1 4 wood got a solid workout. It did everything I asked of it and gave me a great alternative off the tee when driver is too much club. I'm getting a rock solid mid flight and I like to try fade it just a little.
The sound at impact is a nice, the look is fan-freaking-tastic, and the performance is solid. It's not longer than any other comparable fairway woods (or even the R15), but the control it gives me is really nice and the look and sound put it over the top.

I've been raving about my M2 driver lately but I want to drop in here and also say a few things about the M1 3HL. The way my game is I don't use my 4 wood that often but when I do I usually need a very specific yardage and a position shot. This club makes it easy. I know it will fly consistent distances with a smooth swing and it likes to fly extremely straight.
So far my flight is firmly mid and I can flight it low quite easily. It's a little tougher to elevate though and I've only had success flighting it up by manipulating tee height.

For now I've kept both of the weights in the center position.

m1 3 wood

m1 3 wood

I love my m1 driver but I think I love the 3 wood even more. We have a couple of 255 yard par 4s at our course and this club is so straight and money for those holes.

My M1 3 HL/ Hzrdus Black combo is freaking deadly and fun. It's not a club that I pull often but I'm really starting to find a groove with it off both the tee and the fairway.
The look and sound are absolutely to notch and I like the adjustability the weights offer.

I drove #8 on The Ridge with my 4 wood today for an easy birdie, and air mailed the #12 green off the deck from 235. Yummy!

Bumping this old thread. I've been gaming the M1 3w (15*) with the 70gram stock Fujikura shaft for about 4 months now and have to say this is the best fairway wood I have ever played. It may not work for everyone, but for me it is a beast.

I tried both the Callaway 815 and 816 last year, but before that I had been using a 10 year old Callaway X 3w and nothing could knock it out of the bag. The M1 makes all those look like child's play. I can control it with ease-moving it in either direction, the flight is boring and not too high, it is hittable off the deck (though that's not a strong suit of mine), and my God is it long. I routinely hit this thing 260-270. It's almost too long sometimes, meaning on some courses I need to make sure I carry a 230 club for shorter holes. It's really nice to be able to leave the driver in the bag on some holes and still leave a short iron in.

For instance yesterday, first hole-386 yards, I hit this off the and had 132 in. Second hole-352 yards, I had 75 in (a touch downhill off the tee). On the 18th, I cut the corner of a dogleg left and had 75 in to the green. On all 3, I couldn't have walked out in the fairway and placed them any better. It could be a long time before this club comes out of the bag.

Nice Chet! Keep on enjoying it! I've had a bit of off and on fun with thr M2 fairway but still haven't hit this one.

Bumping this old thread. I've been gaming the M1 3w (15*) with the 70gram stock Fujikura shaft for about 4 months now and have to say this is the best fairway wood I have ever played. It may not work for everyone, but for me it is a beast.

I tried both the Callaway 815 and 816 last year, but before that I had been using a 10 year old Callaway X 3w and nothing could knock it out of the bag. The M1 makes all those look like child's play. I can control it with ease-moving it in either direction, the flight is boring and not too high, it is hittable off the deck (though that's not a strong suit of mine), and my God is it long. I routinely hit this thing 260-270. It's almost too long sometimes, meaning on some courses I need to make sure I carry a 230 club for shorter holes. It's really nice to be able to leave the driver in the bag on some holes and still leave a short iron in.

For instance yesterday, first hole-386 yards, I hit this off the and had 132 in. Second hole-352 yards, I had 75 in (a touch downhill off the tee). On the 18th, I cut the corner of a dogleg left and had 75 in to the green. On all 3, I couldn't have walked out in the fairway and placed them any better. It could be a long time before this club comes out of the bag.
Very nice! When you get in a groove with your 3 wood it can really be an awesome thing.

Lately my M1 3 HL is actually going too far and almost getting out there with my driver due to our hard pan and dried out courses.

Back