Teeing Ground Quiz

Diane

Reaction score
I confess - I like learning the rules of golf. If something happens on the course - I'll go home and look up the rule. I read this little quiz in the paper back in May and thought you'd enjoy trying to answer it too.

Tom, Fred, Joe and Mike arrive at the Bethpage State Park Black course excited that their company has chosen the site of the 2009 United States Open for its spring golf competition.

On the first teeing ground, Tom is so excited that he stumbles over one of the tee markers, dislodging it. Tom replaces it before playing his ball.

Fred likes to tee his ball near the left side of the teeing ground. He lifts the left tee marker and sets it aside so it will not interfere with his left foot. He then hits his ball. Fred replaces the tee marker in its proper location.

Joe inadvertently tees his ball one foot in front of the tee markers. No one notices this until after he hits his ball. He is then told by Mike that he must play a ball from within the teeing ground, which he does.

Mike notices before he plays that the tee markers are behind the yardage plate and, believing they should be next to the yardage plate, Mike moves the tee markers to be in line with the plate. He is then informed by Tom that he was not permitted to move the tee markers, so he returns them to their original location and plays his ball.

How many of the four players incur a penalty?
A. One
B. Two
C. Three
D. Four

What, if any, are the penalties?

I think all four of them do. The only one I am unsure of is the first one.

I would say three ... all but Tom (the first one)

im going to go with B. i think 1 and 4 aren't penalties

I will tell you the answer, but first does anyone know the rules that apply and why?

I am going guess, and say players 2, 3, and 4 incurred a penalty, so three of them messed up.

Teeing off from the incorrect area. (Joe)
Moving the tee marker before teeing off. (Fred)
Moving the tee marker to another position before teeing off. (Mike)

I don't think Tom did anything wrong, since I have seen this same thing happen in PGA tournament play without a penalty. :comp:

I would say that the first guy Tom is the only one who is safe for sure. Mike might be okay since he replaced it before hitting but I don't really know. I would say the other two are penalties. Not sure what the penalty is. Probably either a stroke and re-hit or a stroke and hit from where the ball lies after hitting in the wrong spot. Again don't really know, just my guess.

I am going guess, and say players 2, 3, and 4 incurred a penalty, so three of them messed up.

Teeing off from the incorrect area. (Joe)
Moving the tee marker before teeing off. (Fred)
Moving the tee marker to another position before teeing off. (Mike)

I don't think Tom did anything wrong, since I have seen this same thing happen in PGA tournament play without a penalty. :comp:

• Joe gets a two stroke penalty - rule 11-4b - he played outside the teeing ground and must correct his error or be disqualified.
  • Fred gets a two stroke penalty - Rule 13-2 - he improved the area of his intended stance.
  • Mike gets a two stroke penalty - Decision 11-2/2 - Tee markers are deemed to be fixed before a player makes his first stroke. If he played his ball before replacing the tee marker - he'd be disqualified.
  • Tom incurs no penalty - Decision 11-2/2 - He accidently caused the marker to move.

That was the one I was unsure of.

Back