Any drills/tips to keep hips from moving forward

bear's dad

Reaction score
Handicap
It's been a long time since I've swung a club, but I've started again in an effort to introduce my 8yr old to the game.

We were hitting the practice "wiffle" balls in the yard this weekend, and I noticed that almost every shot I took went about 20 degrees to the right (I am right-handed).

Doing a little research on the interwebs and it seems that I am pushing the ball, caused by my hips moving forward during the swing - which is opening up the club face. I guess I'm swinging the club with the same hip motion I use swinging a softball bat....

If I focused on not pushing forward with my hips and just rotating them, the ball would go where where I was aiming.

So my question is: are there any drills I can do to help me in grain some muscle memory to keep my hips in place? For other folks here who have had the same swing issues, what helped you overcome it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sure this is the only thing wrong with my swing, but this seems like the biggest one at the moment.
Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You answered your own question. You stopped sliding and rotated through the ball. Practice that motion without a club. Feel the rotation of the hips through to your finish. Then add a club to the mix and make some
swings. Get used to the reaction of the club when the hips release. Once you feel you've got the move, add a ball to the equation and begin hitting.

It a process that will take time. So just take your time and work on the feeling of rotation.

Thanks for the help.

There's so much to learn for a newbie like myself and so much info out there that it's hard to know where to start...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Early extension is something I've struggled mightily with and still have some trouble with. But I've done a lot of grunt work on the subject as far as watching endless YouTube instruction on it. If you'd like to send me a private message with your email address, I'd be happy to send you all the links of the best of the best videos on the topic. If you'd rather not, the instructors who do the best job by far in addressing early extension (on YouTube at least) are Bradley Hughes, Dan Whittaker, George Gankas, and Matt Christian. It's not an easy problem to fix and takes some work and a lot of time.

Good stuff. I needed to read the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good drill to get the feeling of turning the hips vs. sliding them is; set up to the ball, then pull your left foot back (if you are left handed do the opposite) about 12 inches. Try hitting some 3/4 irons like this.

As far as what swing thoughts that help for me...Not only do I need to think about keeping the pelvis back and left hip rotating to the rear, it's also important to keep the torso/head down. Because it's really a two-part problem, if you're hips are moving forward your head and torso will also be coming up. So keeping my chest and head low/down toward the ball as much as I can (will feel exaggerated, weird, and unnatural)and my pelvis back and rotating works best for me.

Last edited:
Back