Shaft Flex Question

coondog16

Reaction score
Handicap
I ordered a Accra Axiv XH105 hybrid shaft off ebay but realized I will be getting an m4 flex(stiff) instead of what I wanted, the m5(x-stiff), but looking through specs on each, there doesnt appear to be much of a different between the two, so will there really be a huge difference between a stiff or an x-stiff with the weight of the shaft being the same? I read I need to have this shaft tipped at least an inch as I will be having this put in my Mashie in a few days, would extra tipping make a difference? Thanks in advance.

There is no universal guide for shaft flex, so the stiff you have may be like an x-stiff in the stock Mashie. If it won't work can you return it?

Well the whole point for me switching out the 59gram Miyazaki for this is strictly the weight. With the 59 gram shaft I think Im not getting all I can get out of my swing, so I hope a heavier shaft can let me get after it more and swing more freely and really attack the ball. So hopefully this heavier shaft can kind of balance that out even it if isnt a x-stiff, my swing speed is 115-118 so I hope this can handle it, I know this overall weight will be close to my iron weights so I think it should work out all ok I hope.

Any other opinions on this guys?

Well the whole point for me switching out the 59gram Miyazaki for this is strictly the weight. With the 59 gram shaft I think Im not getting all I can get out of my swing, so I hope a heavier shaft can let me get after it more and swing more freely and really attack the ball. So hopefully this heavier shaft can kind of balance that out even it if isnt a x-stiff, my swing speed is 115-118 so I hope this can handle it, I know this overall weight will be close to my iron weights so I think it should work out all ok I hope.

Your swing 115 -118 is probably with your driver, and will be 10+mph lower with a hybrid. The fact that you are going up significantly in weight, and the XH105 plays a bit on the stout side.
Just checking some of my notes on that shaft and I think you'll be good with it. It does have a mid launch to it, so if you would like it a little lower, and bit lower spin you can tip it another 1/2 -1 inch. it has a 6 inch parallel tip section.

Did you have the 59X in the Mashie or just the stiff shaft?

No sir, just the stiff. Thats why I needed something heavier just because I couldnt go full bore after the ball because Id be afraid to hook it left with the lighter shaft. Capital, thanks for the info, definitely dont swing as hard that I do with my driver, thats a good point. Ill probably have it tipped maybe an inch and a half and it should work out good.

No sir, just the stiff. Thats why I needed something heavier just because I couldnt go full bore after the ball because Id be afraid to hook it left with the lighter shaft. Capital, thanks for the info, definitely dont swing as hard that I do with my driver, thats a good point. Ill probably have it tipped maybe an inch and a half and it should work out good.

I think you'll be OK with that heavy shaft in stiff flex. I currently game the Mashie hybrids with the 59 in X stiff, and I have no issues going after it hard. When I do swing hard, the light shaft does promote a higher ball flight though, but I like that in a hybrid.

Back