Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sequoyah National Golf Course

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts

Sequoyah National Golf Course

After playing 36 great holes of golf on the previous day, we met up with Marc (Trout Bum) at Sequoyah National Golf Club. We were hoping it could stand up to the great golf we played at Waynesville, and man did it exceed expectations. All three of us were gushing with enthusiasm for how great this course was after the round. Sequoyah is owned by the Eastern band of Cherokee Indians, which makes the whole feel of the place pretty unique. A Troon golf course, Sequoyah was designed by Robert Trent Jones II. Located in the Great Smokey Mountains of Western NC, Sequoyah isn’t an easy course to travel to, but it was well worth the trip for our group. This track was unbelievably beautiful, so I apologize in advance for the amount of pictures that I am about to post. Before I even get started I have to thank Marc for these pictures, he brought along a high dollar camera that takes much better pictures than my cell phone.

After your trek through the mountains, you are greeted into the parking lot by a surprisingly small “clubhouse”, which is just a well stocked proshop and small snack bar. After getting checked in, you walk through the rear door to a beautiful sight, the range and scenery behind it is just gorgeous. The range is pretty large with multiple tee areas, but due to the late time in the season, is matts only for the remainder of the year. It was still a wonderful experience warming up on such a great looking range. The short game area was small but got the job accomplished, it didn’t take many putts to realize these were going to be some quick greens and were rolling very differently than the Bermuda I am used to in Florida.

After dealing with the extremely friendly staff, and getting warmed up on the practice area, it was on the first tee. The view off the 1st was just breathtaking, we already knew we were in for a great day of golf. Many courses give you a bit of a warmup hole to start the round, not Sequoyah, you jump right in to the deep end with a 543 yard Par 5 with a demanding tee shot, tight fairway and demanding green complex. We all walked away with big scores from this one, oops.

The 2nd is a short, yet intimidating par 3 with a seemingly endless ravine between you and the green, and the great wall of china staring at you off the back edge of the green. The green was no easier, there were some interesting putts missed by the 3 of us.

The 3rd is a particularly interesting par 5. From tee to green it is all down hill, big time. I hit a beautiful 260 yard 4 iron off the tee (yeah that is fun to do), to leave me with a great shot at the green. I tried to hit another 4 iron down to the green but caught it a little chunky leaving me 15 yards off the right side of the green. My dad rarely reaches 5’s in 2, but even he nearly did so… by going hybrid then 3 iron, very cool.

The 4th is a tough par 4 that honestly looked tougher from the forward tees. From tee to green the hole is actually flat from the back two tees, but the hole drops straight off after the tees then goes straight back uphill after that. We were all dumbfounded with what shot to hit off the tee box. Marc decided to play it safe and go iron off the tee and then play back uphill towards the green… he regretted this decision. My dad blocked his driver off the tee box and was left with a tough hole. I decided to gamble that I couldn’t hit my driver all the way up the hill to that big intimidating bunker. I was wrong, I had the length to get there but luckily it faded just enough to avoid that beast. I was left with a short uphill chip, that proved to much as I came up short… tough bogey to take.

The 5th is a short downhill par 4 that moves towards the left slightly. If you play a draw it would be a very cool hole to go after. I can’t control a draw, so it was 5 Iron off the tee for me, which even though it was pushed out to the right, still left me with a wedge in.

The 6th is a long tough par 3. Playing from as far back as 234, we were lucky and our tees were pushed up to 188. With hazard running up the left side and a forced carry, short or left is death, and as I learned, right isn’t all that attractive of an option either. I think Marc walked away with a par, but me and my dad had our feelings hurt by this hole.

The 7th is a slightly uphill well bunkered par 4 that moves to the left around a hazard, letting your cut off as much as you are comfortable with. All 3 of us hit nice drives between the bunkered and were hitting wedges in off the short grass. The green was not so nice to me, and I walked off with a frustrating bogey after a nice shot to get a stroke back.

The 8th may be the hardest 160 yard par 3 you will encounter. With a creek left and woods right, there aren’t a whole lot of options other than on the green. I hit the creek and my dad managed to have 3 chip shots, these par 3’s were kicking out butt.

The closing hole of the front is the shortest of the 5 par 5’s on the course. My dad took advantage of it with his best drive of the day which once again left him with a great shot at getting there in two. I didn’t take advantage and pulled my drive into a fairway bunker on the adjoining hole.

The best quote of the day was as we walked off the 9th green from my dad “you know it’s a great course when you can shoot a 50 and have the time of your life”.

The back 9 is continued in the next post.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    The 10th is fairly straight tee shot, with an uphill approach. Marc and I both crushed drives down the middle leaving us great shots in to the green peering down at us, neither one of us could get it done and ended up in the collection area to the right of the green.

Next up was a mid length downhill par 5. Once again Marc and I drilled our tee shots to the right spot in the fairway, our balls caught the right ridge and ran on down the fairway to around 170 yards out. Marcs went a little long, but managed to save his bird. I unfortunately hit mine chunky and ended up in the creek running just off the front edge of the green. I was a little frustrated at this point in time.

The back got the Par 5’s over with early, as the 12th was a 546 yard uphill par 5 that played LONG. My first two shots were picture perfect, before I thinned a wedge over the back of the green, according to the greenskeeper we talked to as we approached the green, my shot would have been in good shape as he was in the process of cutting out all the growth around the green, but unfortunately it was a lost ball on that day.

The 13th was a 200+ yard downhill par 4 that was fortunately pretty open around the green, I went way right and took advantage of every inch of forgiveness the hole offered.

The uphill par 4 14th was the easiest hole on the course, it didn’t stop me from going into the nasty grass on the right and bogeying. My dad and Marc found the short grass off the tee and had good looks at birdies before converting their pars.

The SEVERLY downhill par 4 15th started one of the best run of 4 holes I can remember. The aforementioned greenskeeper on 12 mentioned a good way to drive the green by going over a certain tree. Just for grins, I decided to hit a 4 iron out into the fairway just to see how far I could carry one from that high. The answer is at least 270 yards of carry, as I carried through the 260 yard deep fairway, over the cart path and carried into the woods… that’s deep, hitting off of cliffs is fun. Once the green finally cleared by dad hit a beautiful hybrid into the fairway just short of the green. Marc hit a nice 5 iron out into the fairway and I was the man in the group and decided to go for the green that we all knew was reachable. We couldn’t see the green from the tee, and I waited anxiously to see if my ball was on or not. I was pretty bummed to not see it on the course, but I found I had overflown the 384 yard green, did I mention hitting off cliffs is fun. I chipped up and two putted for my par, certainly the most adventurous par I’ve ever had. In fact all 3 of us walked off with pars.
    [

The 16th was a short tight par 4 with junk weeds and bushes on the left and a creek down the right. We all found the fairway and were rewarded with pars on this one.

The 17th is a very cool 200 yard 3. With the side of the mountain to the left and a creek down the right, there really isn’t a good miss. Your view from the tee is pretty cool as there is an old barn on the mountain side just above the tees, me and Marc both found the creek while my dad found the side of the mountain, oops.

After a LONG uphill cart ride to the top of the mountain, we once again had BIG downhill par 4. After spending 5 minutes taking pictures, Marc and I crushed drives down the pipe to end up pin high off the right side of the green. Marc was really trying to draw one back onto the green, but without his trusty Prov1x’s, couldn’t quite get it turn enough. With my previously discussed draw problems, I was pretty happy being just right of the green. After chipping up and two putting, we all lamented how sorry we were to see the round end.

It really was sad to take our bags off the cart and depart. All 3 of us said it was one of if not the most fun round of our lives. The course was just phenomenal, the weather couldn’t have been any better, and the company was the best part. My dad will always be my favorite playing partner, and Marc is just a great uplifting guy to play with. If you are ever anywhere near this course you owe it to yourself to play it, its just an amazing bag of fun, and unbelievably beautiful to boot.

Here are just a couple pictures throughout the round. What a great course, I’m still in awe 36 hours later.

Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Banned
    Handicap
    Dice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts
    I totally pic-skimmed this. Looks awesome! One hell of a writeup dude, I could never take pics of every hole like that. Way to go!

Say what again mf'er!
    Handicap
    3.5 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,962 Posts
    Awesome pictures of what looks and sounds like an amazing golf course. I bet it was an awesome day, old Trout Bum is a good dude to hang around!

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thainer21 View Post
    I totally pic-skimmed this. Looks awesome! One hell of a writeup dude, I could never take pics of every hole like that. Way to go!
    I gotta give credit to Marc (trout bum) for that one, the pics are his. I took pictures of most of the holes on the cell phone, but his big fancy camera did a better job.

We had nothing else to do, we were playing as a 3some at a busy course full of tourists. We had a blast snapping pics and goofing off on the tee boxes. I am someone who HATES slow golf, and I couldn't believe our round lasted 5 hours when we were done. It was an absolute blast.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    That's an Amazing looking place , I love playing highly elevated courses and that one is sweet . Makes me wonder how in the heck did they get concrete trucks back there for the paths..lol .Really a fantastic place .
    Driver- 913 D2 9.5
    Fairway woods - HeavenWood - 913 3 wood
    Irons Apex CF16 Project X 5.5 graphite R flex
    Wedges - Sm6 54 Sm6 60
    Putter - Carona Del Mar X4 milled - Thank You Trout Bum
    Ball - ProV1
    Currently testing the Lightning "SmackDaddy" golf ball
    Proud tester Of the Taylor Made Project 5 golf ball !

Shake a soldiers hand and tell them , Thank You !

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils

Handicap
    16.0 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,410 Posts
    I've played this course twice now and it will always have a special place in my heart. In all my years of playing I've only had 4 eagles. My second lifetime eagle was on the par 4, 18th hole. Approach shot right into the hole.

This course has some amazing views. Great review and pictures! I'll be back to play this one again sometime.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Driver: XR 10.5* with #handcraftedexperience 1 of 1 prototype in 5.5
    3W:
    XR 15* with project X LZ in 5.5
    5W:
    XR 19* with project X LZ in 5.5
    4H:
    XR 22* Reg head w/pro project X LZ in 5.5
    Irons 5 - PW:
    Apex CF 16 with True Temper XP95 Rflex
    Wedges:
    50, 54, RTX-3 Tour Raw with TT Dynamic Gold
    58 PM Grind
    Putter: Metal-X Milled #1W
    Ball: Varies- Callaway Chromesoft or Bridgestone B330-RX.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cpljohnst View Post
    I've played this course twice now and it will always have a special place in my heart. In all my years of playing I've only had 4 eagles. My second lifetime eagle was on the par 4, 18th hole. Approach shot right into the hole.

This course has some amazing views. Great review and pictures! I'll be back to play this one again sometime.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    That's a pretty cool hole to pull off an eagle.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Looks like a fun time, and some huge tee shots with the elevation. It's cool to finally see the finished product after watching it get 90% complete before I left Cherokee.
    Driver: with
    Fairways: BLACK 3W Mashie 5W and 7W
    Hybrid: Mashie 5
    Irons: 588 6-PW
    Flatstick: Connosieur Perfecto

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    I will either find a way or make one.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SW View Post
    Looks like a fun time, and some huge tee shots with the elevation. It's cool to finally see the finished product after watching it get 90% complete before I left Cherokee.
    I'm pretty sure you could put the ball within 100 yards off the tee on the 500 plus yard par 5 3rd hole. A well placed fade would roll all the way down the hole.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could put the ball within 100 yards off the tee on the 500 plus yard par 5 3rd hole. A well placed fade would roll all the way down the hole.
    I like those kind of holes

Mountain golf is a different world ain't it dude?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    I like those kind of holes

Mountain golf is a different world ain't it dude?
    It is man, it has blown our minds. We played Reems Creek in the morning and the Muni in the afternoon. We are playing Maggie's Valley tomorrow.

I tell you what I am going to miss, Bent greens.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I played Reems Creek yesterday and a mecca course today, dear God man it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Played like a clown on a 3 day bender, whatever.

You playing Maggie Valley Club, or the Junaluska course?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,176 Posts
    I played Reems Creek yesterday and a mecca course today, dear God man it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Played like a clown on a 3 day bender, whatever.

You playing Maggie Valley Club, or the Junaluska course?
    PM me with the Mecca course. Club I believe. I liked Reems Creek alot, and will post some thoughts when I get back to tampa most likely. The muni was a nice change of pace after 3 days of mountain golf. 90 holes of golf over the past 3 days has been awesome.
    Ozone XX Stand bag
    XR 10.5
    XHot Pro 15*
    MT 3i
    Apex 4-SW
    J40 60*
    Tank #7

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    PM me with the Mecca course. Club I believe. I liked Reems Creek alot, and will post some thoughts when I get back to tampa most likely. The muni was a nice change of pace after 3 days of mountain golf. 90 holes of golf over the past 3 days has been awesome.
    Reems Creek was fun man, how silly quick were those greens for being that soft? I used to play the muni all the time, it ain't bad for being city maintained and getting a ton of play.

Maggie is flat on the front, you can hammer away, the back in on the side of the mountain but nothing like you played today. Don't speed on 19!