TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I noticed on the Ginn sur Mer Classic that David Duval looks a lot different to a few years ago when he was world number one.

After his 2001 Open Championship win, Duval entered a downward spiral in form that saw him drop to 80th on the money list in 2002, and 211th in 2003, prompting an extended break from the game. Numerous reasons have been postulated for the decline, including back, wrist, and shoulder problems; private difficulties; and a form of vertigo. Duval has not won a tournament since his 2001 Open Championship victory on the PGA Tour. His last worldwide win was the Dunlop Phoenix Tournament in November 2001, on his 30th birthday. His 30s have proved much less lucrative on the golf course.

Many commentators believed Duval's career to be over ... (Source: Wikipedia)

We saw Steve Stricker's resurgence from the brink a year or so ago.

What does everyone think about David Duval?

Will he rise back up again to at least top ten or twenty?

I dont see that. It reminds me a lot of what happened to Chip Beck but at a much grander scale due to his #1 ranking. Beck left the tour to go to sell insurance it got so bad. I want to say it was around 1998.

Suprisingly enough Beck has recently come back in the Champions Tour and done quite well.

Maybe, we'll see.

He's got talent, there's no denying that, but he'll have to get serious about his game.

That includes getting in shape physically (he's as 'fluffy' as I am), and finding the right mental coach so he can work past his demons (or his BS, however you want to look at it) to get the right mindset to win a tournament again. His swing looks pretty decent, but like any player, needs coaching to discipline it.

That's my 2¢

i think his posture is horrible. jeez, he's bent over way too much. probably his wonky back forced him into that habit, but all i know is with myself, it doesn't work as well as standing more upright.

i think his posture is horrible. jeez, he's bent over way too much. probably his wonky back forced him into that habit, but all i know is with myself, it doesn't work as well as standing more upright.

good point, his body language seems to lack energy

Duval has registered and been accepted into the Ian Bakerfinch and Johnny Miller club. His problem seems to have started when he decided to change his body shape. His new shape obviously didn't suit his old swing, so he did a Bakerfinch and ended up like Ian unable to contol his driver. Duval is a classy guy who deserves to be near the top; hope he get back there.

I've always been a big DD fan. Perhaps he needs to go back to the huge pleated pants, monster chew in his face and bad sunglasses to regain his old self.

Interesting the spiral has continued this long, I'm a pretty big fan and it kills me to see him play so poorly over the last few years. He's got some sponsor exemptions this year and he's said he won't continue to do this if it continues. I hope he makes some cuts and makes some money.

Interesting the spiral has continued this long, I'm a pretty big fan and it kills me to see him play so poorly over the last few years. He's got some sponsor exemptions this year and he's said he won't continue to do this if it continues. I hope he makes some cuts and makes some money.

Huge Duval fan. Could watch that swing all day long. Such a pity what's happened to him.

He did a decent job in the booth at The Open. Someone gives him an opportunity and I think he'll find his rhythm and be really good.

It's hard to believe how far he is from the player he once was. I used to love watching him play when he was on form but have very little belief that he's capable of being a top 20, let alone a top 50 player.

Believe I read an article a week or two where he said he'll quite playing if he doesn't improve dramatically this year. Can't seem to find it at the moment.

I read the same article, I hope he gains some form this year.

DD was a great player but sadly I don't think we will ever see him return to form. Too many demons and too long away from anything that resembles a consistent golf swing.

DD was a great player but sadly I don't think we will ever see him return to form. Too many demons and too long away from anything that resembles a consistent golf swing.

I have to agree. I'm a fan of his and I follow him on Twitter and I hope he can play well this year as it really is his last chance. It would be great to see him get his card back, but there is so many things not on his side. It will be tough.

As I think most of us older guys did. Such a great talent. However it goes to show how those everyday demons can creep in and take everything.

It definitely would be good to see him regain his form. It's difficult to watch him struggle when he is trying.

If it doesn't work out for him on the course, I certainly hope he considers moving to the announcers booth. I've thoroughly enjoyed him at The Open Championship when he's been on the coverage.

Me too Barry, I liked his perspective and even though he's not as brutal as Johnny, I think he could be a good announcer with some time. I'm going to hold out hope that he makes some cuts and finds something this year, maybe a little magic will intervene, lol I always root for the guy with little chance.

There's a Feherty episode on DD that's interesting to watch. I'm also a Duval fan and no matter what happens he can say he was very good at one point in his career. He has nothing to be ashamed of. And if he can't get his game back it'll be fun to have him in the TV booth.

I always liked DD, too, he just has the dorkiest fist pump ever. Would be cool to see him win or at least be competitive again for sure.

Loved Do and his game. One of the more underrated #1 players to hold the position and win majors. A lot of good/great players wake up one day and just don't have it anymore. Not just in golf, but all sports. Look at Chuck Knoblach after he syarted firing the ball into the stands and Rick Ankiel's first go around. I don't think any of us realize the mental resolve it takes to be the top 1% of a sport, and guys like Duval prove that pro athletes are human after all.

Great guy and I wish him the best.

Rap-a-tap Tappin' on my SG4

Well said Adam, he took really earned the no 1 spot too, it was in the era of when Tiger, Vijay, Dimarco, and many others were playing great golf and he played his way into that spot. Man that was an exciting time in golf lol.

He was one of my favorites. Loved it when he had a crack at the US Open at Bethpage a few years ago. Also had a chance to win at Pebble and lost to DJ I think by a stroke. He won't ever get back to the form he was, I think that hill is just far too steep to climb for him. I think it's still possible for him to win another tournament along the way but that's probably about it.

Hard not too root for this guy, but I think hes pretty much done

It's funny when he was on top of his game he was regarded as aloof, surly and others wise unapproachable. I lost major weight to keep up with TW and paid for it with illness and loss of his game through swing change.

It's not like Ian Baker that just couldn't pull the trigger. DD fall was self inflicted. He has since found his center and is a approachable and like-able guy but this wasn't always the case.

Back