Wilson Ci9 vs Ci11

talon

Reaction score
Handicap
Evening,

New here, but have been perusing around for a couple weeks and have read a ton of helpful things here as opposed to some of the other forums out there.

Anyhow, I am in the market for a new set of irons and am on a tight budget (as so many of us are today) and have been shooping bargains on the big auction site. While doing so I see that I can get a set of Ci9 irons for about $130 cheaper than the Ci11s. I hit several different irons today and narrowed it down to the Ci11s, Razr X Black, and Razr X Tour (enjoyed hitting all them, although the RXTs were a tad heavier). Since I missed out on a fantastic price for a new set of the RXTs (new $324 5-P) and can't afford to go much higher than that I was wondering since they didn't have the Ci9s to hit if they hit completely different than the Ci11s? If anyone here has had the opportunity to hit both please let me know the differences you found.

I thought the Ci11s were a little more forgiving in the mids and long irons. And more precise in the short irons.

The ci9's are great irons for the money, I have not hit the ci11 though. Personally the ci7's are still some of the best bang for your buck irons ever! Too many people sleep on wilson irons, they really are great irons

Thanks for the replies. Only real concern I have with the Ci11s is that the finish will look like crap after say a year or so of playing, but do look great new. They really did hit very sweet!!! I was one of those who steered clear of Wilson thinking they were Wally World clubs, but they do make some nice equipment.

blugold, I see by your sig you are hitting the Ci11s, how long have you been hitting them? Notice any problems with the finish other than whats to be expected on the soles?

I have the Ci11's and think they are great. I tried about six different iron sets when i tested and found i could hit the wilson's the best and they were cheaper which was a bonus. My set are silver as we dont get that black finish over here so i cant comment on how well it holds up, but the black does look nice.

The ci9's are great irons for the money, I have not hit the ci11 though. Personally the ci7's are still some of the best bang for your buck irons ever! Too many people sleep on wilson irons, they really are great irons

Very true the ci7's are great clubs at a great price. I've had mine for 4 years. I was fitted for mine after playing Titleist DCI's for many years. I was a bit apprehensive at first but the got over that quickly after playing them on course.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies. Only real concern I have with the Ci11s is that the finish will look like crap after say a year or so of playing, but do look great new. They really did hit very sweet!!! I was one of those who steered clear of Wilson thinking they were Wally World clubs, but they do make some nice equipment.

blugold, I see by your sig you are hitting the Ci11s, how long have you been hitting them? Notice any problems with the finish other than whats to be expected on the soles?

The finish does wear. It won't last forever. I don't mind the wear because I don't expect my equipment to look new forever. The sole and first few grooves on the face are showing some age on my irons.

I guess I never really understood the big deal regarding wear. It shows character, to me at least. But I hate the rust on my wedges. Go figure.

There is a large Ci11 thread where I have posted pictures of the wear.

I have played both and found the ci11 to be longer, more forgiving and easier to hit. The finish will wear, but its part of owning any pvd finished club. The long irons are especially easier to hit perhaps because of the flighted shafts. If you do go for the ci9's make sure they have the FST shaft as it was a good feeling shaft.

Thanks for all the info, but budget took over and I got a set of Ci9s for $212.50 (4-GW). I'm certain they are a step/leap up from my 6-7 year old Bazooka's! Would've loved the Ci11s as they are an awesome feeling and looking club, but needed to get a set now with what I could afford, especially with Christmas on the horizon. Speaking of, Lowes has had trees and stuff out for 10 days now!!! WTH???

You'll enjoy those Ci9's. I think the stock shafts in them are better. They're also a hair smaller from heel to toe and within their lines. Both great sets and that's a heck of a price to snag those for. Congrats and good luck.

Back