Split Second Decision

Diane

Reaction score
When I played on Friday, the sirens rang twice. When the first one rang, I decided to chip so my ball would be on the green and easier to find when I returned. The second time, I was on the green. I know - I was foolish and should have just stopped the minute the siren rang. What do you do? Do you finish the hole, get to the green or just drop everything and leave? How do you mark - I use a colored tee. After the second one, I never went back out so my tee stayed on the green - I'm feeling a bit guilty about that.

If I am on or around the green, I like to finish out the hole. I do not like coming out and having the first thing to do be putt. I also use a tee to mark.

I must say that I can't ever recall hearing the sirens as I am playing. I've gotten back to the clubhouse before theysounded the alarm or I've gotten done before the weather got that bad. The couple of times it was that bad they would have sounded an alarm we just got rain checks and did it another day.

I find that I am tighter and will have a better chance to make the putt be after hitting a few shots.

I've never heard the sirens go off at any of the courses I've played. Lucky I guess, since we get some pretty violent thunderstorms here. We're second in the nation in lightning strikes, behind Florida (CO is #3, all according to my lightning protection contractor)

I've never heard the sirens go off at any of the courses I've played. Lucky I guess, since we get some pretty violent thunderstorms here. We're second in the nation in lightning strikes, behind Florida (CO is #3, all according to my lightning protection contractor)

I had it happen Friday. Luckily, we had just come in at the turn when the Pro came out with his Foghorn and called everyone in. We had to wait about 30 minutes which gave us a chance to eat a bite before we went back out. It rained for about 20 minutes and then the sun popped out. Arizona is hot, but hot and humid is a whole new experience when it is over 105!

We only have a severe weather warning horn for Men's Club tournaments and we are required, just as the PGA Tour is, to suspend play immediately. There is no option. If play is suspended due to just rain then we still have the option to finish the hole, but if the cause is severe weather, then you are required to mark and seek shelter immediately.

Last edited:
I had it happen Friday. Luckily, we had just come in at the turn when the Pro came out with his Foghorn and called everyone in. We had to wait about 30 minutes which gave us a chance to eat a bite before we went back out. It rained for about 20 minutes and then the sun popped out. Arizona is hot, but hot and humid is a whole new experience when it is over 105!

Now you're getting a taste of what it's like to play on the gulf coast! Think about those poor folks.

We've had it here a lot too lately, 100°+ and high humidity, it's miserable, and sucks the life right out of you.

Several years ago I was playing in our after work league it was mid August and we were on the back side of the course as far away from the club house one could be. Although there were warning sirens the tow guys I was playing with decided to putt out well there was a storm that came out of no were all of sudden tree limbs were popping wind blowing etc. Plus we were walking we barely made it to a shelter about 250 yards away before a lighting bolt hit a tree next to the green we were on. Needles to say I will never again stay around to putt out when the sirens go off. Believe me I'm gone, it does not pay to stay around I can only image what might have happen if the three of us were still standing on that green.

Having been caught out in a wind/rain/lightning storm more than once, I can testify that it is a frightening experience. I have had it happen once on a golf course and we had limbs falling all around us as we drove like mad to get to shelter. Once in a trout river with my car a mile away was even worse. At least the cart made me feel a little less exposed.

I was playing another night last week when it started thundering, but they didn't ring the siren. A women in the group in front of me told me her sister-in-law had been hit by lightning at a soccer game at the local high school the week before. Once I heard that story - I left.

Back