Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I agree on their forgiveness in a comparison like that (as I have from my J40 to the i20), I'm just no where near ready yet to put an absolute on it. I know where I'd rank them now, but that is only with a single round, that's just not enough to do so for me personally.

I agree wholeheartedly. I haven't put them through actual rounds yet so I wouldn't say either. All I can say is that it had to be toward the forefront of PING's mind during development.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Now that is one of the cutest, best teaser videos I've seen...now on to the unboxing!

That will work the lil fellas legs out carrying those beasts up that drive way!

Nice tease Griff. Looking forward to seeing what custom options you went with.

Love how creative everyone seems to be getting around here. Looking forward to more Griff.

Thanks guys. Getting to work on a couple things. Should have the unboxing up tonight.

Great vid griff. I may need protective gear if mine come during the unc game.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forgot how long it can take to get video to YouTube. I may not get it posted tonight, want to do it right, not fast.

A little Pre-Vid i20 photo shoot, Griff?

A little Pre-Vid i20 photo shoot, Griff?

Sure, I can post up a snap shot :D

edit: Going to do it in the AM. I'm not trying to be all mysterious. Just want to kick it off with the unboxing vid, ya know?

Very informative unboxing video, Jman!

amazing work so far jman i will be happily following along with the testing experience. nice to see the available custom options being exercised.

This is some good stuff so far! Can't wait for the unboxing vid.

Jman, with your continuing feedback here, would you please post J40 comparison in regards to head size, top line, offset & sole thickness? Thank you!

[video=youtube;oQo-1YaiwKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQo-1YaiwKo[/video]

I apologize for the lighting. Flip cameras don't like anything but full sun.

Great unboxing vid Griff. I have about a half a day until my come. Going to pass the time with a round of golf to try to get my mind off them.

Very nice Griff.

I love that we're both purple dot but one is -1/4 and the other is +1/4! LOL

Can't wait to hear about the PX's in them, good job buddy!

Very nice Griff.

I love that we're both purple dot but one is -1/4 and the other is +1/4! LOL

Can't wait to hear about the PX's in them, good job buddy!

What is with all this Purple dot love? I am a Purple dot with a -1/4 too, lol

Very nice unboxing vid, Griff!

Nice unboxing Griff! Man, those shafts with the grips just look amazing together, very nice choices.

Nice vid's Griff! Especially the one of the little guy meeting the UPS dude. Made my day!

Griff, would you mind sharing what you full specifications are? I'm working off of wifi and your video is taking forever to load.

nice unboxing Girff! Love how they look with the PX Graphite.

lol @ can't wait to get them dirty

Going to start off with my setup and my take on Ping WRX.

For this set I chose 4-UW with Ping's option on the SW LW. Testing set wedges is pretty rare on THP and this was a great chance to do so. Specs I sent in:

Ping i20 irons
Project X graphite iron shaft flex 5.0
Golf Pride VDR grips
Purple Dot (1.5 flat)
-1/4 inch on 4-9 irons
Swing weight per web specs

SW and LW only changed the flex to 5.5 and Swing weight.

(having a heck of a time downloading the pics of the service tags, pics should be right here, will insert when I figure out what's up)

I really wanted to take advantage of Ping's nFlight for the fitting. Given the time restraints I was not able to pull it off. Fortunately, I've ordered from Ping WRX before and have done multiple fittings in the past year. I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for.

Shafts

I'm moving to graphite for health reasons. Recent diagnosis of RA has made me slow down and listen to my body. I want to play golf until I'm a very old man and this move will hopefully help me do so. The only graphite shaft I was able to hit in the shop was Ping's TFC graphite in the i20 head. Ball flight was just too high and I wasn't digging the feel. I knew Ping offered PX graphite so we grabbed another OEM head/PX shaft combo. Boom, love at first swing. Shaft optimizer put me in a 5.0-5.5 PX iron and the store guy and I agreed 5.0 would be best in the long run.

Grips

Golf Pride VDRs, these are a change for me. I originally wanted ND compounds in blue, but Ping didn't have that available at the time of the order. I've never used this grip, but I like it so far. The white lines should help me with hand position. Fills my hand nicely and has a great feel.

Length and Lie

It is what it is. Off the lie board I came in around 2 flat. Combination of taking a quarter inch off and going purple dot, 1.5 flat, should put me on the money. Ping doesn't have 2 flat. As a general rule of thumb I have found Ping irons to be a hair flatter than most other OEMs.

Swing Weight

This was actually a tough decision. In the end I decided to go with what I hit in the shop and asked Ping to maintain stock swing weight. I do notice that the head feels a little light. It's not so much that I feel I will lose control on the course, but it was enough to make me think about adding some SW. Turned off my brain and went with what I actually hit. It can be easy to talk yourself into a problem that isn't really there. SW can be one of those "problems".

Flex on Wedges

This is the only place I went off on my own, sort of. Check out this link and it should describe how I chose 5.5 flex for the wedges.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=13766

Just another reason why THP rocks.

PX shafts don't follow the R, S, X flex standard. You really have to be fit for the shaft in order to be totally sure you have the correct flex. This put me in a bind as I didn't have all the time in the world to research enough to duplicate "wedge flex" in PX graphite. I still wanted feel in the wedges so I went with 5.5. I've hit 6.0 shafts before and they are WAY to much for me. Given that I wanted a lower flight from the wedges, didn't want to swing a totally rigid shaft, 5.5 seemed to be the answer. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Why not just get spinners? Look, feel, consistency. I have 4 different shaft makeups in my non testing bag and I really don't think it's offering anything positive to my game. PX graphite, a shaft that fits me well, top to bottom should help give me consistent results.

Ping WRX is simply the best resource for an amateur golfer that wants what he or she wants. You tell them what to do and they do it as long as it doesn't defy the laws of physics. The work is exceptional and I liken it to an amateur's tour van. From grinds to swing weights I don't know of any OEM that offers such a high level of customization. Ping actually encourages us to use WRX. Better fit = better scores.

Much more to come. I haven't even hit these yet. Will get out today and update.

Back