Fitting Center Membership

TM_Bobby723

Reaction score
Handicap
+
Hey guys, this question was asked of me today by a good buddy of mine & I figured I'd see if I could get some input from more golfers...

"What would you be willing to pay/feel a fair price would be for monthly access to a fitting center (like a TaylorMade Performance Lab for example), where you can use all the technology available to practice, access to demo clubs, a couple lessons a month with a certified PGA Pro/Master club fitter and a free driver every year? The driver would be returned when you upgrade to a newer model. You'd also have the ability to upgrade shafts once a year if desired."

Just trying to get some thoughts...

Thanks

Unlimited access?

if the place was conveniently located and had indoor and outdoor practice areas, I'd probably pay a couple hundred bucks a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I gather, there'd possibly be range of access levels...like access packages/price ranges. Just give some #'s on what you'd think would be fair or you'd be willing to pay for like 5 hours a month, 10 hours a month and unlimited hours. This wouldn't be a huge operation, but more on a personal level. So for your access, you'd have to schedule your time. Just something along those lines...

I dont think I would pay anything?
I might be in the minority, but why a constant need for fitting? You get fit, play the clubs and then when you make a change, you would get fit again.
Now I could be missing something, but with the availability of things like FlightScope and others for quick checks at many places with virtually no charge, I am struggling to come up with a reason for a membership.

I get the lessons and the free driver thing, but based on cost, I am still not sure there is a market for it.

One can get something similar at GolfTEC (minus the free driver) and they are struggling right now.

It's almost along the lines of how GolfTec does it with their lesson packs & game plans. You'd have access to both FlightScope and Trackman.

It's not necessarily the need for "constant fitting," but more along the lines of a one source for fitting & lesson needs. Kinda like a Primary Care Physician office (for lack of a better example, lol) for your golf swing, lessons & fitting needs.

Or kinda like going to your local PGA pro for lessons, fittings, etc... but this would have all the latest software & technologies (both indoors & outdoors), so it's not just a human eye on your swing. You can actual see virtual feedback, track your performance numbers, spin, ball speed, launch angle, etc...

Basically its just like GolfTEC then.
Look over their info. In my opinion that entire side of the business is failing for the same reason.

Also good luck with Trackman and FlightScope. With startups, they usually want to be a featured brand as we found out quickly.

I might be in the minority, but why a constant need for fitting? You get fit, play the clubs and then when you make a change, you would get fit again.
Now I could be missing something, but with the availability of things like FlightScope and others for quick checks at many places with virtually no charge, I am struggling to come up with a reason for a membership.

I get the lessons and the free driver thing, but based on cost, I am still not sure there is a market for it.

One can get something similar at GolfTEC (minus the free driver) and they are struggling right now.

Us northern folks need this stuff. We made the poor life decisions not to live in Florida.

For me in the $100 range

I've got their info. I actually stopped in at a GolfTec, too, but I wasn't overly impressed. It was real tight quarters in there. The setup of the lesson areas was kinda jumbled & messy. This would be a little more "private country club" setup, if you will. A little more luxury than GolfTec provides.

because it's fun. don't you enjoy taking your flightscope out and testing gear? I love going to a fitter and trying out gear. it's fun, and seeing what's going on with my swing is fun too. problem is that sh1t ain't free so I don't want to impose, and I usually end up buying something!

I see the golf tec distinction being access to premium gear and 1 custom fit driver per year. but maybe i misunderstood the business model, in which I agree with you it's pretty much just a golf tec which admittedly I've considered before.

Us northern folks need this stuff. We made the poor life decisions not to live in Florida.

I dont doubt that. The problem is that the die hards make up about 5% of the business. And almost all of them are not willing to pay a premium.
GolfTEC is kind of showing this right now.

I dont doubt that. The problem is that the die hards make up about 5% of the business. And almost all of them are not willing to pay a premium.
GolfTEC is kind of showing this right now.

For sure you are probably correct. That was said tongue and cheek.

For me in the $100 range

Nailed it.
That is the price I think most would look at. Unfortunately for what is being discussed, an outfit would need about 6500 members to even pay for the technology, let alone the staff, clubs, shafts and salaries of pros and fitters.

because it's fun. don't you enjoy taking your flightscope out and testing gear? I love going to a fitter and trying out gear. it's fun, and seeing what's going on with my swing is fun too. problem is that sh1t ain't free so I don't want to impose, and I usually end up buying something!

I see the golf tec distinction being access to premium gear and 1 custom fit driver per year. but maybe i misunderstood the business model, in which I agree with you it's pretty much just a golf tec which admittedly I've considered before.

It is fun. I think GolfTEC as a solution is fantastic. Performance Labs and places like ECPC (which is even better by the way) are fantastic. Almost none of them are making money and they have significant branding and marketing behind them.

To think TMPL wasnt even owned by TM until recently and now its kind of sort of a joint venture in a round about sort of way. People underestimate the costs of startup and monthly maintaining and how much people are going to use it (ie signup).

The future is actually the opposite. See what Top Golf is doing and how they are printing money in a down golf time.

EDIT: I should add that there is a reason I have a bit of knowledge on this one. :D

I agree with Josh, I would love to have access to this kind of facility, but for it to be profitable, they would have to charge an obscene amount...

Check out Miles of Golf they have a players club that I think is similar to what you are talking about (minus the free driver part).

fwiw IMHO this is the biggest void in my golf life right now. a great practice facility with a premium setup, quality balls, and lots of equipment to test and radar to test it on, maybe with a side of quality instruction. but it doesn't exist because as jb says people won't pay what it's worth.

There's no way I could commit to a monthly payment for something like this, and I LOVE hitting clubs on a monitor.
Golf is expensive enough as it is. Lessons add to that. A fitting membership would only work for the wealthiest 1% of the 5%.

fwiw IMHO this is the biggest void in my golf life right now. a great practice facility with a premium setup, quality balls, and lots of equipment to test and radar to test it on, maybe with a side of quality instruction. but it doesn't exist because as jb says people won't pay what it's worth.

Grand Cypress has pretty close to exactly what you are looking for.

Grand Cypress has pretty close to exactly what you are looking for.

how do I not know this?! will be calling tomorrow

how do I not know this?! will be calling tomorrow

Ask for Fred, he runs their practice academy I believe. 3 practice holes, under the roof lessons and fitting with a top notch launch monitor. Plenty of clubs to demo, etc. Its $375 a month I believe.

I agree with JB. I got fit for my clubs so no need to go back.

The was a place here thst tried something similar anout 6 or 7 years ago. Not the new club aspect, but fitting unlimited practice on a indoor LM and instruction. They had 4 or 5 bays that stayed pretty full during the winter but they were deserted in the summer. They charged something like $45 a month. I joined, but they were out of business in less than a year.

This was my thought. A major Performance Center fitting is really just GolfTEC on steroids. Sure they have even cooler tools, but it's basically the same thing--the big difference from just a Trackman is swing analysis. Super useful in conjunction with a good coach if you're just starting out or trying to make a major swing change, but you can get it for cheaper at GolfTEC.

I'd say GolfTEC + say 50% of the cost of the driver + shaft is a good starting point.

Almost none of them are making money and they have significant branding and marketing behind them.
I wondered...

I like GolfTec and I am certainly one of the best customers in my area as I've signed up for a 15 pack and a 40 pack in the last year. But even at the price there, there needs to be a significant number of customers like me to cover salaries for instructors, utilities and rent much less the franchise fees.

I'm not going to re-up next time around. I like my instructor and I like the technology but I'm not thrilled at the facility management.

Back