Just found bourbon

MSH134

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Party at the house yesterday and a couple of friends introduced me to the proper way to drink bourbon. A local distillery brand call copper fiddle I believe. I have always drank rum and now I think I will be drinking alot more bourbon. I also tried some green label johnny Walker my question to you guys is what's the difference between the two are they both not a whiskey?

They are both Whisk(e)y. Typically Canadian / European versions are called whisky while the American version adds the e.

What makes whiskeys unique is the grain (or mash) bill, which is basically the recipe, and the aging process (location, duration, etc).

In order to be a bourbon the mash bill must be at least 51% corn. Technically speaking there are also strict requirements for the maximum proof that can go into the barrel and bottle as well. It's also, again technically, only able to be bottled in Kentucky. That's why most bourbons that come from elsewhere will say "bourbon whiskey" on the label (since that's technically different than Bourbon).

Canadian Whisky is much lighter in flavor than Bourbon. Personally I prefer the flavor of a good Bourbon straight with 1 ice cube. Try 1792 small batch bourbon, under 30 bucks. If your gonna mix it up with coke no one really can really tell the diff between Jack Daniels and Evan Williams black label. Evan Williams is half the price around 12-13 bucks a bottle.

I was what I was told was bourbon with a splash so 3 ice cubes and a splash of water and let it breath and I LIKE IT

Untitled by Erik, on Flickr

Above is a diagram of different typical mash bills used to make varieties of whisky. Much like rum(molasses, sugarcane, acricole ect.) a large difference in flavor at the end of the process can occur from small changes in the mash bill at the beginning.

This is just a base guide as MANY other variable come into flavoring whisky such as length of aging, temperature fluctuations during aging, local laws on mash bills, barrel composition and char, ect.

Give Angels Envy and Blantons a try. Great bourbons.

Congratulations. Many mysteries ahead. FYI, Johnny Walker i a blended Scotch. Try various bourbons straight or with a little water or ice. Most will work with mixers but some are wasted if you mix them.

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to the bourbon world. You'll never look back.
I'm in Kentucky right now having some.

I like mine with just a splash. Bulleit is my current favorite.

Congrats on finding bourbon there is a crazy road ahead of you dive into it.

All bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon.

There's a federal law that states what needs to be done for a whiskey to be a bourbon, 51% corn mash bill, aged minimum 4yrs in new white oak barrels that have been charred.

Every new bottle I get I try straight then may or may not add ice. I rarely mix any of my bourbons unless its something cheap that I intentionally bought to mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Party at the house yesterday and a couple of friends introduced me to the proper way to drink bourbon. A local distillery brand call copper fiddle I believe. I have always drank rum and now I think I will be drinking alot more bourbon. I also tried some green label johnny Walker my question to you guys is what's the difference between the two are they both not a whiskey?
Told ya.

I am a little biased, but welcome to the best damn drink on the planet.

I have lots (and lots) of suggestions. In the meantime, as other of THP'ers have suggested, give Blanton's a try. It'll wet your whistle.

enjoy the ride. not many I haven't enjoyed. just a beverage that seems to resonate with me. I enjoy a few fingers with a couple cubes.

I literally was in Kentucky last week on the bourbon trail. Incredible stuff. Woodford Reserve and Woodford are serve double oaked.....as well as Four Roses small batch are all incredible bourbons.

You mentioned johnnie walker. That's scotch....which is a completely different flavor profile and age.

"By law, to be allowed to be called Scotch Whisky it has to be matured in Scotland in oak casks for at least 3 years. Some very cheap whisky is just 3 years old, but most Scotch is 5 years or older. Bottled whisky may be a mixture of casks of any age over 3 years. It does not have to have an age statement, but if there is one, the age on the label must be the age of the youngest whisky in the mix in completed years. A whisky aged 3 years and 364 days is legally still 3 years old."

Johnnie walker is a blended scotch....

"All blended whisky brands like Johnnie Walker or Chivas Regal have their own recipes for their whiskies. It is the job of of the master blender to select the right casks in order to make sure each vatting tastes the same. The process is basically the same for single malt bottlings with the difference that only casks from a single distillery are selected."

Lol....easy to understand? Just drink it. If it's over $30...it's probably decent.

Buying a bottle of blanton's to try. Heard good things

Save the bottle toppers.

One relatively unknown but pretty cool thing is that they have B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S versions. At the distillery they sell a couple of pretty cool displays to showcase a full set.

Save the bottle toppers.

One relatively unknown but pretty cool thing is that they have B-L-A-N-T-O-N-S versions. At the distillery they sell a couple of pretty cool displays to showcase a full set.
You've been to buffalo trace? Cool little distillery.

Yeah, we did a bourbon trail / golf vacation a couple of years ago.

I've got my name on a barrel of Makers' Mark (through their ambassador program) aging, and waiting on us making a return trip sometime between 2019 and 2021.

I really like Bulleit and Four Roses, but Buffalo Trace and Willett are probably still my favorites.

Forgot I had a bottle of buffalo trace in the cabinet. Will be enjoying that before grabbing a new bottle.

7526a282c00d31533153256777fdbe67.jpg

Pretty solid selection here.

They are both Whisk(e)y. Typically Canadian / European versions are called whisky while the American version adds the e.

What makes whiskeys unique is the grain (or mash) bill, which is basically the recipe, and the aging process (location, duration, etc).

In order to be a bourbon the mash bill must be at least 51% corn. Technically speaking there are also strict requirements for the maximum proof that can go into the barrel and bottle as well. It's also, again technically, only able to be bottled in Kentucky. That's why most bourbons that come from elsewhere will say "bourbon whiskey" on the label (since that's technically different than Bourbon).

You got most of it right, however the patent for Bourbon is United States not just Kentucky. I was of the same opinion having lived in KY all my life, and being a proud bourbon drinker. Then I was having the same discussion and did the research and found out I was wrong. While it is true most all bourbon comes from KY, their are a few that don't. The final step is it must be aged for a minimum of two years in a charred oak barrel.

Back