Ball Flight, what are you looking for?

Mid penetrating ball flight, about the only thing anyone wants out here in Texas haha. I don't like playing for much wind.

I've noticed a lot of different ball flights from people I've played with this year. I can't really manipulate my flight, so it's just a fairly high tee ball (yes, I hit down on it) and sort of a parabola for the irons. I can still hit the short irons high, although I've noticed the long irons are getting lower as time marches on.

I sort of want to hit a lower tee ball, but I lack the clubhead speed now to hit those low running bullets I see some younger lads hit. So I guess what I'm doing is fine, max carry and limited roll.

I have noticed a few of the better golfers have a completely different flight with short irons and wedges. I don't know if it's equipment, technique, or a bit of both, but I've noticed where I'll hit a 9i or PW on pretty much a parabolic arc (maybe rising a bit less abruptly than the descent), these guys hit ropes that rise, rise, rise....and just seem to fall straight down and stop from the apex. That's a slight exaggeration, obviously, but the difference is obvious to see. That's a shot/flight I'd love to have.

In actuality, I rarely stress over ball flight, I more focus on quality contact. If I have good contact, I will have good ball flight. It might not be perfect flight but that good contact will give me predictable results. That is more my thinking.

I really like the thinking here, I try and make the best contact possible and my ball flight will be where I want it with my shaft and iron head combination that I've been fitted for. My flight is more of a penetrating mid trajectory and it works pretty well.

A flight that goes to the pin each time! Is that too much to ask for?

I've alway been a mid ball flight with the driver (the Amp may change that) and mid to high on my irons. What I struggle with is switching from playing a cut to a draw sometimes.

My best drives are the lower, penetrating kind. I wish I could make a 100% repeatable swing and do this all the time. Most of my drives go a lot higher than I want. I want a little higher flight with my longer irons but not super high. My hybrids tend to go higher than a corresponding iron, but that's the nature of them, right?

I know that with my old swing I tending to hit the ball WAY too high, so I have been in a battle to bring it down. I have flattened my swing some but it's still pretty steep and I believe I still hit the ball too high on occasions. I would like to see a mid high flight out of most shots, for me I think that gives me the best results.

this is a question that has to factor in alot of variables
course conditions and wind being 2 big ones
but ideally on a calm day flat course wide open and dry?
i like my driver to be about 15-20ft high with 3ft of draw starting right ending straight
the above is the description of my longest driver shot ive ever recorded on my gps and id love to recreate that every single time i step on the tee

i'd love a low slight draw from driver to mid iron and mid to high draw on low irons to wedges

Yeah. There are several courses around here where you'll struggle to find a good single digit player who hits the ball over about 20 feet in the air, but unless you're playing these courses exclusively, I'd go with the higher flight too.

Which is also why you'll be hard pressed to find guys from those types of course who amount to something - unless they adapt and develop their game to incorporate the high flight (like one young Irishman).

Just look at the world rankings or guys who contend in the Masters, US Open or PGA Championship. Not a lot of low hitters there.

I hear talk like 'I didn't like that ball flight' but it was on the best drive hit all day.

Hahaha. I remember that at the Tour Stop. I hit a low bullet with the AMP Cell and I hated the ball flight and you said that was my best ball all day.

Anyway. I prefer to see a high ball flight with no distance lost. But I want it to be penetrating as well. I don't know. I guess I'm picky :beat-up:

My best drives always seem to have pretty low flights. With my irons, I tend to not get enough air under them and they run off the green.

Ultimately, at my level, if the shot ends up roughly where I want it to, I'm happy with it. That said, I like to hit low-mid with the driver and mid-high with the irons. Not sure why on the driver, I just always like those powerful, piercing shots. And with the irons, I don't spin the ball a ton, so the higher the better as far as stopping on the green.

Which is also why you'll be hard pressed to find guys from those types of course who amount to something - unless they adapt and develop their game to incorporate the high flight (like one young Irishman).

Just look at the world rankings or guys who contend in the Masters, US Open or PGA Championship. Not a lot of low hitters there.

Totally agree. Think that's why we, in Scotland, have a history of providing a lot of solid amateur champions who don't even go on to the professional ranks. Having the skill to alter your ballflight depending on conditions is a whole other thing.

Begin rant: I have been playing golf for about 13-14 years and I have always played a slight beautiful fade. Me and the fade became so close that we were like fade bros (cue Sonic commercial). Anyway, over the past 2 months I have developed a sort of pull draw, and I hate it. I think it's time for lessons for the first time in a long time. I have no idea where my golf ball is going when I hit more than an 8-iron.

I have never, never, never had to worry about hitting a draw, and it is miserable. These next few months will be rough on the golf game. Ugh...

I struggle with this quite a bit. I need a higher ball flight with my irons. Too often my shots are not high enough and don't hold the greens. I tried the graphite shaft route and that was somewhat if a failure. Working on some things with my swing. Last time out I had more luck with it. Hopefully I can continue to make progress. With my driver I have a mid-high penetrating ball flight that I absolutely love.
DITTO on all counts. More distance would help but that's all on me.

Lol. That's pretty good russ.

It depends on the club. I would like to hit it as high as I can with my irons without losing any distance. Then I can learn to flight it lower if I have to.

With my woods, I want a mid flight, penetrating ball. Something that will get through the wind and have some rollout, ideally.

My current ball flight right now is good. High and drops down on the green and sticks. Unfortunately, I have to re-learn all my yardages and I think my irons are a bit short without the release :( (7i only goes 140-145ish)

I know when I hit it great, and I have learned what it looks like when I do. I like my ball flight high but driving, not a pop up. When I pound my 4i 215 yards and it hits once, and slowly trickles to a stop on the green, I get goose bumps.

I want as high as possible without losing distance.

I agree with the big man here. There are occasions when ball flight needs to change based on the conditions, but mainly, I like the high ball flight with every club. Too high usually equals a ball that seems to just fall out of the sky due to issues with spin. The guys out on Tour mostly hit it higher than people think, but their golf balls continue to carry instead of just going straight up and down.

I will also say that the conditions around here in the spring and fall tend to be pretty damp, so I want as much carry distance as possible on all clubs. I played a round last week where drives were ending up within a yard or so of where they initially landed because it was so wet.

Ok I have a follow up question. What is a high ball flight? And what constitutes a mid ball flight? Where is the measuring height?

Ok I have a follow up question. What is a high ball flight? And what constitutes a mid ball flight? Where is the measuring height?

Dang Freddie....you're making my head hurt. I would think the mid ball flight is more of a penetrating flight, really fighting to rise but maintaining it's height. A higher ball flight tends to have more arc, reaching a peak and then slowly coming down. I would think the mid ball flight would have a bit more roll out upon landing as well.

Back