Ball Flight, what are you looking for?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
We all have talked about our ideal ball flight. 'I like it high' or 'I want that mid flight bullet'. What ever you look for, it's been talk about. Our thirst for optimum ball flight has us buying the latest shafts, clubs and balls. We've been promised they will give is what we want.

I wonder if we know what we want and fully understand why. I hear talk like 'I didn't like that ball flight' but it was on the best drive hit all day. Or the opposite, a horrible pop fly and someone says 'great ball' an you agree.

Do we know what a good ball flight is? If you hit a mid flight iron and stick the green are you upset because you were looking for a high ball. I just wonder if we place too much on the process and not enough on the results. So I ask, what are you looking for in a ball flight and why?

I struggle with this quite a bit. I need a higher ball flight with my irons. Too often my shots are not high enough and don't hold the greens. I tried the graphite shaft route and that was somewhat if a failure. Working on some things with my swing. Last time out I had more luck with it. Hopefully I can continue to make progress. With my driver I have a mid-high penetrating ball flight that I absolutely love.

With my irons, I had long been looking for an answer to my line drive iron shots. The inability to hold a green because of the trajectory of my ball was quite frustrating. I knew that a higher ball flight with a steeper trajectory would more than likely give me the results that I was looking for on shots in to a green, and since improving the ball flight with a shaft change in my irons, I can tell you it has improved my game.

As far as ball flight with fairway woods or driver, I hit a mid to mid-high ball, most of the time just above a line drive, and that is fine with me. Im cool with hitting a stinger with my Driver!

With my irons, I had long been looking for an answer to my line drive iron shots. The inability to hold a green because of the trajectory of my ball was quite frustrating. I knew that a higher ball flight with a steeper trajectory would more than likely give me the results that I was looking for on shots in to a green, and since improving the ball flight with a shaft change in my irons, I can tell you it has improved my game.

As far as ball flight with fairway woods or driver, I hit a mid to mid-high ball, most of the time just above a line drive, and that is fine with me. Im cool with hitting a stinger with my Driver!

What shaft did you switch to in your irons that improved the ball flight Ryan? As you can see in my post above, I struggle with the same thing.

Ideally a mid penetrating ball flight. I don't have problems holding greens and I want to make as little adjustments as possible with wind.

Edit:

To add, I threw the Callaway Razr X Tour irons into my bag a few weeks ago. They're all high balls and I hate it. While it looks beautiful the wind comes more into play then I want.

I don't believe there is any "correct" ball fight. We see successful golfers that hit balls low, high, fades and draws.. It all preference and ability....

:drinks:

mid-high to high for most of my shots

Interesting question Freddie.

Before I give my answers, especially concerning driver, I will say that I really need to get on a monitor and find that ideal launch.

Driver: I prefer a mid ball flight due to playing in TX. Often playing in decent wind along with firmer fairways that take that line drive and run it out nicely for me.

Irons: I prefer a higher ball flight as I like to play to an exact number. I don't consistently spin the ball back and nor do I want it to release after landing.

I know that my perception of an optimal ball flight has been pretty clouded in the past.

When I was in the middle of a short-hitting struggle, I decided that the high ball flight I had was the problem. Turns out it was just a by-product of the real problem - the glancing swing I was putting on the ball. It caused a high, short ball. At the Outing I realized that my idea of high wasn't really that high at all. Also realized that people could hit a high ball really far, so I guess I had a little moment of realization.

In a perfect world I'd alter the ball flight based on conditions, but that's sometimes easier said than done.

I want as high as possible without losing distance.

Man, this is a timely thread! It's something that I've been questioning of my own game lately...particularly with the driver. I've always sought a low to low/mid flight. I get a lot of "Wow, great ball!" comments from my drives but I can't help but think that getting the flight up a little bit would be a great thing as long as I don't take on too much more spin. Would have to give me more carry and theoretically I would get equal-ish roll if spin levels were comparable. As for wind, I actually like playing the wind so that's no reason for me to keep it low. Can always play a lower 3wood if needed. Looking to get launch up on all of my hybrids and woods, actually. My irons are good as-is. They have a mid flight and I love it.

I guess because of reading the internet and forums, I have associated low ball flight with the "best" flight...but my mind's a-changin'. At least for my game.

Well Josh, I don't know how one can fully take advantage of their maximum carry distance potential with a low ball flight. I want it as high as possible without ballooning, and that's tough to find I reckon.

Having spent sometime in (probably not the most accurate) launch monitors, I know what numbers give me the best results. I try to achieve those numbers.

In actuality, I rarely stress over ball flight, I more focus on quality contact. If I have good contact, I will have good ball flight. It might not be perfect flight but that good contact will give me predictable results. That is more my thinking.

What shaft did you switch to in your irons that improved the ball flight Ryan? As you can see in my post above, I struggle with the same thing.

I switched to the KBS Tour 90 shafts when we did the forum testing.

Having spent sometime in (probably not the most accurate) launch monitors, I know what numbers give me the best results. I try to achieve those numbers.

In actuality, I rarely stress over ball flight, I more focus on quality contact. If I have good contact, I will have good ball flight. It might not be perfect flight but that good contact will give me predictable results. That is more my thinking.

I think this is a good post dude.

I switched to the KBS Tour 90 shafts when we did the forum testing.

Thanks. I am going for a swing analysis at Golftec next week. Will see if there is any chance I can give them a shot. It's the biggest part of my game that is holding me back from scoring lower.

My driver ball flight is in my eyes excellent for me. It doesn't balloon, but is high enough for very good carry. It rolls out about 10% more. I changed my shaft in my SuperTri to a Miyazaki 43s and I love it.

Now, my irons are a totally different story. I have a flat, line drive flight that does NOT hold the greens. My wedges are the Callaway Jaws that are high and hold the green. But my regular irons really disappoint me. That's why I'm going to try the Miyazaki 59s graphite shaft in my 7i to see if it makes a difference.

I really want that high ball flight with my irons that hold the green.

This. I'd go as far as to say that this is what most golfers should strive for.

I tend to hit the ball pretty high already, and it works for me unless it's really windy....and I can't seem to lower it on those days, so just have to play it. I would like it straighter however.....:D

Good question Freddie.

I'm siding with TC and Pete here. With today's equipment, really the way to maximise your distance and take advantage of the technology is to hit the ball high (with optimal spin of course).

The caveat is of course outer conditions. I'll take Zach Johnson any day over Rory McIlroy on a windy links course, but generally I'll always opt for the higher trajectory. More stopping power (and much more controllable, less reliant on spin to hold it) and more options on par 5s and par 3s. The higher, the better...to a certain point.

Well Josh, I don't know how one can fully take advantage of their maximum carry distance potential with a low ball flight. I want it as high as possible without ballooning, and that's tough to find I reckon.

Well yeah. I'm just now "getting it". I'm pretty...not smart.

I like both of these answers. Truth is I am not consistent enough to worry too much about it. If I am hitting the ball too high or too low it is usually a result of the swing vs. the shaft for me.

The caveat is of course outer conditions. I'll take Zach Johnson any day over Rory McIlroy on a windy links course, but generally I'll always opt for the higher trajectory. More stopping power (and much more controllable, less reliant on spin to hold it) and more options on par 5s and par 3s. The higher, the better...to a certain point.

Yeah. There are several courses around here where you'll struggle to find a good single digit player who hits the ball over about 20 feet in the air, but unless you're playing these courses exclusively, I'd go with the higher flight too.

Back