Recycling on the golf course.

PAGolfGal

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This may be somewhat an odd question to some folks; but can you tell me if you've been on any course that provides in-cart recycling container/bag? I haven't and typically only see the waste bins at each hole.

The reason that I ask is because I've been in the recycling business for 14 years and only began to realize since beginning to golf that recycling isn't visible or provided for on many of our local courses for the cans, plastic and glass bottles; even in state mandated municipalities. I only know of one local municipal course with recycling containers, which I set up years ago; but even then, I think that over the years the staff stopped collecting it separately and the recyclables go in with the waste due to time, etc.

I am just thinking out loud that there could be a niche for it in PA.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Wishing I Was Golfing,
Kelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can't recall ever seeing any actually on a course. Maybe at the club house but never on the actual course.

Using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

This may be somewhat an odd question to some folks; but can you tell me if you've been on any course that provides in-cart recycling container/bag? I haven't and typically only see the waste bins at each hole.

The reason that I ask is because I've been in the recycling business for 14 years and only began to realize since I began golfing that recycling isn't visible or provided for on many of our local courses for the cans, plastic and glass bottles; even in state mandated municipalities. I only know of one local municipal course with recycling containers, which I set up years ago; but even then, I think that over the years the staff stopped collecting it separately and the recyclables go in with the waste due to time, etc.

I am just thinking out loud that there could be a niche for it in PA.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Wishing I Was Golfing,
Kelly

I haven't seen it but I like the idea.

Have not seen it on the course but at most every clubhouse

I can't recall ever seeing any actually on a course. Maybe at the club house but never on the actual course.
Ours is by the cart drop off area, where the cart guys can take all of the empty cans and put them in their own can. To be on the course is a monumental task to have a recycle can at every tee box. Lots have a two can system, but everyone uses them for everything. There are cans in both and trash in both. Who is going to separate them? No one!

Our course only has trash cans at each tee, but some of the high school kids that work there in the summer sort everything.

My wife is starting to take all the cans that get separated and is using them to fund a Christmas party for all the workers after the season.

We pile beer cans in the back (they slide down between the bags on the cart) and the cart guys put them in a bin afterward, because the only recycling is in the cart barn.

We have "Cans Only" trash cans at the clubhouse for the turn and at the cart drop for after the round. I think one of the employees takes them to the iron & metal center on the edge of town.

Recycling on the golf course.

Thanks so much, everyone! :)

Back in 2000, I set up an on-course recycling program at the municipal course that I referred to above. It was trial and error. Initially, my boss wanted me to purchase 'fancy' recycling containers that were metal and only looked good for a year; then we removed them. A lot of money wasted. After that, we purchased several cluster containers made from recycled plastics (so they had longevity, unlike their predecessor) and placed them at every third hole. At first it was successful because there was support from the administration. Once that support was eventually lost (due to a new boss that didn't golf, it wasn't on his radar), and the program withered away. It made sense economically; if you have the available local markets, the course maintenance staff (or designated person) could weekly, take the recyclables to a local processor and receive the rebate (rather than paying a hauler to take it; some commercial waste contracts are based on weight - which means you pay less by removing the recyclables from the waste stream). And, then the profit could be used for an employee party, a new bench, etc., as @Smallville mentioned.

I understand that my theory isn't for everyone or all courses. Was just a thought... :)

Thanks again for your feedback!

PS: I shouldn't have included glass in my post (it has a negative value and most local courses that I'm aware of don't allow it). :)

This is a really good idea.

@OITW LOL - no problem! :)

A lot of the courses around here have the two can system with different tops on them so you only put cans in one and all the trash in the other. They are at every other tee box at least I would say for the ones that have them.

A lot of the courses around here have the two can system with different tops on them so you only put cans in one and all the trash in the other. They are at every other tee box at least I would say for the ones that have them.

How does that work? Trash can be a lot smaller than a can. Or bigger.

Courses I've played don't recycle, on the course at least. Everything goes in one trash receptacle.

How does that work? Trash can be a lot smaller than a can. Or bigger.

Here is a link to the company that we purchased the recycling containers for the golf course years ago:
http://www.windsorbarrel.com/

The recycling containers with material specific lid openings are helpful in preventing contamination (trash). :)

I haven't seen this but it is a great idea

I can only recall recycling bins in the local courses run by the metro parks. I think it's it's a huge wasted opportunity as I'm sure many beer cans and pop bottles are tossed daily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Most of the courses in my area have 3 cans at each tee box. cans - plastic and glass bottles - trash.
That has helped a lot. Now we just need to get the smokers to eat their butts instead of tossing them on the ground.

Most of the courses in my area have 3 cans at each tee box. cans - plastic and glass bottles - trash.
That has helped a lot. Now we just need to get the smokers to eat their butts instead of tossing them on the ground.

When my wife smoked, she would grab a beer can and put it in the cup holder and use that. It is so rude for people to just toss their butts when doing what she did is so easy.

When my wife smoked, she would grab a beer can and put it in the cup holder and use that. It is so rude for people to just toss their butts when doing what she did is so easy.

Ashamed to admit nowadays, but I smoke on the course (though not a heavy smoker). I do the same as your wife did and use my hubby's Miller Light can. :)

I was surprised when I started golfing to see how people just threw their butts on the ground. Even more surprising to me was seeing them on the fairway and greens. :(

It would also be nice to clean up the cigar butts... :)

There's few things that piss me off more than seeing butts on the green. Not talking about anyone in here but in general, you're an absolute scumbag if you throw them there or anywhere on the course. Just my .02

Not to be a geek (it's just my job to know these things-lol)... But it takes on average five years for a cigarette filter to decompose. That's a long time if it's not picked up/collected by the course staff or not properly disposed of by the golfer and it just sits there (but I'm going to assume that most butts are collected). :)

Back