Saw a good putting training tip on Golf Channel

Snap Hook

I before E,excpt Titleist
Reaction score
Handicap
3 SNGA
Just got home and turned on the TV. Some British guy named Martin is on right now giving putting tips. (I say some British guy, so knowing my luck he's extremely well known) Overall I like his philosophy and I'm really intrigued by a putting training tip he suggested:

He suggest going out and buying a 6" inch PVC pipe roughly 1/2" inch thick. Thickness doesn't really matter. What he wants is for you to put the pipe down and address it lengthwise. (Put one end of the pipe down against the club face so it shoots out perpendicular from the face) And basically chase the pipe up and down your Carpet. This works with all different strokes (Open/close gate and SBST) because at the moment of contact the putter face should be square and the putter head traveling srtaight forward.

If you miss hit the pipe, hit the pipe with an open/close club face, hit across (pull/push) the pipe, then the pipe is going to spin like a helicopter blade. If you contact the ball square it's just going to shoot out straight like and arrow then stop. I'm actually using an empty sleeve of golf balls right now and it's a good drill. (though the sleeve is a little larger and I think more forgiving than the PVC pipe would be) I really like it.

Hope this works out for others and I hope someone can tell me who that Martin guy was on the Golf Channel.

Edit: He's back on Golf Channel now, some guy named Martin Hall.

Martin Hall was the winner of the Golf Channel Instructor search that was going on like a month or two ago. Now he has his own instructional show every Tuesday night on the Golf channel and it's called School of Golf.

Martin Hall was the winner of the Golf Channel Instructor search that was going on like a month or two ago. Now he has his own show every Tuesday night on the Golf channel and it's called School of Golf.

ah ok. I normally go to the range after work on tuesdays.
I do like this drill, tommrow I might rip out a piece of PVC out of the ground haha.

ah ok. I normally go to the range after work on tuesdays.
I do like this drill, tommrow I might rip out a piece of PVC out of the ground haha.

I definitely like the PVC drill. I plan on picking a piece up and using this..I also use the two books to practice the straight back and straight through stroke.

Totally agree, excellent drill.

While sometimes he can be a bit "cheesy", I love his enthusiasm and I really respect how neutral he is in his teachings (stance, grip, etc).

Guy knows what he's doing.

Totally agree, excellent drill.

While sometimes he can be a bit "cheesy", I love his enthusiasm and I really respect how neutral he is in his teachings (stance, grip, etc).

Guy knows what he's doing.

I only saw him for 15 minutes this afternoon and at first I thought he was a little cheezy (especially when he pulled out a pvc pipe) but when he started getting techincal about the drill, and explaining how it works for Pelz Putters and Open/CLose Putters both, I started thinking "wow this guy knows what he's doing"

He once gave this lesson about a "distance buffet" involving making a slice of pizza with your arms post-impact (and the butt pointed to your ribs).

Drill basically is about full extension once the club is parallel pointing towards target.

Now THAT'S cheesy...yet somehow I still remember it.

Hahahahaha, yes I forgot about that. THAT was the cheesiest moment for sure, you win.

I've done a similar drill with a roll of quarters, they're too heavy to get a normal stroke though. This will be better!

I've done a similar drill with a roll of quarters, they're too heavy to get a normal stroke though. This will be better!

We used to mess around with rolls of pennies and nickels back when I lived in the dorms in college. Worked great on the short crappy carpet in the halls!

I like this drill. Very simple and effective.

Back