SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
Happy Easter Amollerud

Quick Question: How do I prevent coming down with my club face so open. This seems to be an issue that comes and goes but it was back yesterday and I want to fix it. When I come stike the ball it squirts the right. Any drills you could recommend would be appreciated.

This is a very common problem. The best drill in my opinion is to get the feel of the release and let the brain know that it is ok to release the club. Take a few practice swings like you would swing a baseball bat. ( at waist high). Really pay attention to the natural release and "rolling over" the hands do as they pass your body. Work yourself down gradually until you are clipping the ground. Make sure your hands feel the same way at the ground as they do at waist level. Once we let the brain know that it is ok to release the hands it won't feel like so much work. Hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

"it squirts the right" How far right is it going is a question I might ask. If you are aiming at 12 o'clock, is the ball going towards 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, or maybe even 3 o'clock?

Something you can do to help with your release is get a heavy club to swing. You can make your own if you have an old mid, or short iron laying around that you don't use anymore. Find something heavy to will slip over the butt end of the shaft, that would slide down to the hosel, and swing it a few times. The extra weight will help with your release. :comp:

If it is a release problem, it really does not matter how far it squirts to the right if the release is the error. I actually agree with amollerud on this one. Using a heavy club can be beneficial in some areas, but IMHO the release should be found with the baseball swing. When I had this problem, i used a weighted club and it caused me to end up releasing WAY TOO EARLY.

I sometimes fight this as well.

I go through a slow motion swing (taking 30 seconds or more to complete one swing) and make sure I feel everything.

Usually, I find it's because of my grip. My right hand winds up too closed, not allowing my left to turn the club over as it should.

The release is something the hands and the body want to do. It is our minds that want to hold on so we feel we have more control over the club head. I like the idea of the slo-mo swing to feel the club head. ANY DRILL THAT HELPS YOU FEEL THE POSITIONS OF THE CLUBHEAD IS GREAT! The baseball swing not only helps you feel the release but swinging a club at that level it makes it very easy to see the club release as well.

Thanks. I am certainly going to try the baseball and slo-mo swings out. I will let you know.

I have the same problem on chips.My son had been with me when this happened and confirmed it was a open clubface.I failed to release and the ball just squits right rolling off the open clubface toward the toe.This is usually almost strait to the right or 90 degrees from where I intended.I don't do the drill mentioned but do do some practice swings concentrating on sqaring up the face.

This is something I really have to work on too. Its definitely helped me with my drives.

My long clubs are where this haunts me from time to time (when I'm not hitting it fat). 6i and up, I'm golden.

Jefffann look back at THP TV for the chipping segment. Try that setup and stroke and I promise you with that style of chip the club never has the chance to open up on you. Give it a try and see if that doesn't help with this issue.

I have this problem with my driver pretty often. Thanks for the tips!

Apparently I am of the same breed as a lot of yall, I was told last weekend that I am not turning my hands over at all and now I notice it, I'm working on doing it now which feels amazing by the way!! my wrists are near as stiff as they once were through my shots. Thanks Amollerud

I am happy to see and hear that this one thread has helped a number of people. Keep at it guys!

Back