heading to my 1st lesson tomorrow

Matthew

Reaction score
Handicap
Any advice from the forum? What to expect?
I've never taken lessons but I've gone over with the pro where my game presently is & what I'd like to see as an end game. He's on aboard & everyone I've talked to that have gone to this guy have been very high on his ability.

Be open minded and never be afraid to ask questions.

Let him know what you expect to get out of your lesson(s). He'll probably watch you hit some clubs for a while and go with what he thinks, but if you want something specific, be sure to let them know.

I would suggest posting in this thread about each lesson and on particular points he is teaching. Writing stuff down helps you to digest it and you can always go back later to review the lessons. Also your lessons may help someone else out with a problem.

Good luck! Open lines of communication is crucial. Practice practice practice. Keep an open mind and try to stay focused on the end result. It may take time, and at first you may feel like your not improving. In time things will start to click. Similar to building a house you need a foundation prior to putting the final touches on prior to moving in. Enjoy the journey

If you decide you're going to take multiple lessons from this pro, then make sure you strive really hard to adopt whatever he's about to teach you. It's easy to think you have a better way (usually more comfortable) of doing something, and to try to work around what he's teaching. Ask questions and try to understand as much as you can as to what the guy is going to teach.

If you're going to work with him long-term, it's important to really support the lessons he gives you 100%.

If you decide you're going to take multiple lessons from this pro, then make sure you strive really hard to adopt whatever he's about to teach you. It's easy to think you have a better way (usually more comfortable) of doing something, and to try to work around what he's teaching. Ask questions and try to understand as much as you can as to what the guy is going to teach.

If you're going to work with him long-term, it's important to really support the lessons he gives you 100%.

I couldn't agree more with this. I just started taking lessons again. This is my third pro, mainly because the first 2 used bandaids to correct problems. Listen to what he tells you and then get to the range to practice it. I can't always do what my pro is asking during the lesson but at the range it starts to click and I just keep hitting the ball more solid.

I'd like to hear what you think about lessons.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. As for myself, I will be doing the same in the near future. Calling to make my first lesson appointment tomorrow.

Your end game should be to be a better golfer and his goal is to get you there. So do what he tells you to do and you'll be fine.

My suggestion is don't get upset or disappointed right away. I have always struggled for a couple of days after my lessons trying to adopt the new things I have been taught. I have talked to some people who struggle the first few days and then say why should I pay this guy when I was hitting the ball better before the lesson.

Make sure you practice and give it time.

Well, we had a great lesson.
He went over over our stances & earning how to swing the clubs again. After a few swings we moved onto hitting a few balls. He spent a good bit of time working on my tempo & helping me make sure I followed through & let the club's loft get the ball in the air.
I'm looking forward to our next lesson.

That is great Matthew. Keep us updated.

Well, we had a great lesson.
He went over over our stances & earning how to swing the clubs again. After a few swings we moved onto hitting a few balls. He spent a good bit of time working on my tempo & helping me make sure I followed through & let the club's loft get the ball in the air.
I'm looking forward to our next lesson.

Sounds like a great start, work on the basics and make them habits and you'll meet your goals in no time!!

I think lessons can be contagious if you have a good instructor glad you're looking forward to the next one! Wait till you start seeing improvements!

helping me make sure I followed through

that one of the things I'm struggling with now....good luck with the lessons!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

had our second lesson today. Worked on my slowing me down as I tend to have a really fast transition from take away to forward swing. He had me move back from the ball a little and helped me get out of my own way. My tendency was to set up a little close and difference and I was making bring my arms inside & lift my upper body which was causing me to top the ball a little. I might have that wrong but moving back half a foot length really made a much easier swing and much better contact. That felt so much better. I might be getting all I can out of my club but if he says if I can the swing down from a half swing, I'll only have to rotate a little more to get all I can.
We moved to the putting green for a little while & went over some simple drills from 10-15'. I felt I made a little progress but as you all know, your game & score is made on with the short game.
My wife got there late & was frustrated from the first ball on the range. She settled down some & has making some gains when we moved to the practice green. If I heard once, I heard 100 times "I always hated putt putt". She didn't like working on her putting & I did my best to offer a little encouragement but she wasn't in the mood to hear it.
My/the pro also helped me with a set of started clubs & even threw in a sleeve of balls. The set is a bag of Top Flite with driver, hybrids, irons & putter. They aren't top of the line by any means but they're the clubs I've been hitting & felt comfortable with. I'll upgrade as money & skill dictate but for the time being, I feel confident hitting them and just couldn't justify the money for clubs beyond my ability. That may not make sense to some but as a true beginner they are pretty forgiving & economical.
I made my next appointment for next Wednesday but plan on either playing or hitting the range Saturday.

Sounds like you've got a good start! Good luck with the new clubs. Hope you enjoy them!

Well my lesson last night got cancelled but we moved it to next week.
I'm feeling a little confident on the course & range until driver slice rears its head. Then I get a little uneasy pulling it from the bag.

Well my lesson last night got cancelled but we moved it to next week.
I'm feeling a little confident on the course & range until driver slice rears its head. Then I get a little uneasy pulling it from the bag.

keep hammering away at it, the practice and lessons will get you in the right direction!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting a little more comfortable but I know I have a long way to go to get to most people here's level.

Hey Matthew! I have my 1st lesson tomorrow... Really excited. I've been playing (or rather learning to play) for exactly a year and love it.

Hope you continue to enjoy!

Another great lesson this afternoon.
We started out hitting a bucket of balls with my 7 iron just to loosen up & then moved to the 3 wood. As usual, my tempo started off fast but after a little coaching & thinking I slowed down & was hitting some decent shots.
We found the root of my slice & showed me a drill that should help me fix it. I'm not getting my hands & club face squared up before impact so I need to work on getting comfortable with getting square. The few times I tries it, nice & straight shots.
We planned on playing a couple of holes but had a group behind us so we played 1 & called it a day. He said overall we were making good progress & with just a little work on straightening my long shots, he felt I could not only enjoy the game but actually shot decent scores.
I am very impressed with my progress.

I couldn't stand it this afternoon & hit a few shots around the pasture after work. I spent a good bit of time working on the drills he showed me yesterday & sure enough, I was hitting some nice straight shots.
Boys & girls, I am starting to really enjoy this stuff.

Had another lesson tonight. Started out hitting a small bucket with my 7i to warm up, then played the 1st hole on the course. Guarded on the left but wide open to the right. I let the pro talk me into pulling the driver and that's right, I sliced the heck out of it almost in to next fairway. My next couple of shots went very well, nice 4H and pretty 9i right to the edge of the green. My chip got caught in the grass and didn't get a hold of it very well but made it to the green for a "makeable" putt straight uphill. Greens were pretty fast and lipped the cup. Lipped it again on the down hill. The instructor said they were good misses but would have been even better if they had went in the hole.
I still get a little fast but I'm working on my tempo.

Back