Can you get fitted too early?

Scotty7

Reaction score
Handicap
16 (CONGU)
Having read all the merits of getting fitted/upgrading shafts on the forum, I'm really tempted to do it. I'm fortunate in that there's somewhere in my home-town, Warrington UK, that offers a really good custom-fitting service.

However, my concern is that my game is changing quite a lot currently. I've been having lessons for the last year and have been steadily reducing my handicap. Currently down from 20 to 16, but hoping, and feeling reasonably confident, that I could get down to around 12/14 if I can get a few more cards in before the end of the year.

I'm not in a position to keep spending $300 every 6 months to keep changing the shafts, so once I've had it done, I'd ideally like to stick with it for a while.

I can't work out what's the right thing to do. Have the fitting done to help me towards my goal of a lower handicap? Or wait until I've levelled out a bit, and then have it done so that I'm being fitted at the point where my game seems to have gone as far as it can do?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

When I first started playing, my instructor mentioned that he doesn't recommend a complete fitting since beginners change their golf swing a lot. what he recommended was to practice and play more so I could develop a nice tempo and swing and then to get fitted.

But you can always get fitted for length and lie, since most people won't change that fast unless they are 12 years old and growing

I would recommend spending the money from a fitting and equipment into lessons first, and once you are comfortable with your game then get fitted for the right equipment.

I'm continuing on with my lessons. I've been playing for years, just only got really serious about improving in the last year.

I would talk with your swing instructor and see what he suggests. Changing length and lie is easy, and then if you need to change shaft flex, you can always do that later down the road. But I would definitely get your length and lie checked out.

I'm continuing on with my lessons. I've been playing for years, just only got really serious about improving in the last year.

oh in that case go for it, if you'd been playing for a month like I did when I had the conversation with my instructor that I posted about earlier, then I'd say no, but since you've been playing for years and are looking to bring down your scores, then yes get fitted

Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice I'm only 5"6 so length and lie will be a good place to start.

Will keep you up to date when I inevitably take the plunge in to new shafts!

Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice I'm only 5"6 so length and lie will be a good place to start.

Will keep you up to date when I inevitably take the plunge in to new shafts!

for sure, and it should be a relatively cheap thing to do

Back