Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

What about the sun glare while putting, or even regular full shots :dont-know:

No issue at all in direct sunlight. I mean you see it definitely but it's not like it blinds you as you look at it

It is rare that I find it truly distracting bb, I actually find it pretty cool to see the ball roll on putts when the sun is full on it.

I did not really see any glare. The ball just glows internally from the sun light.

I did not really see any glare. The ball just glows internally from the sun light.

Yeah it's not bad and my shadow at address helps out with the flow it's not too distracting

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Bumping the page to maybe get some discussion going again.

I will be back to testing when I get back home. Looking forward to getting the chromax back in play this weekend.

Will be typing my mid iron and hybrid review up tonight. Tough to do from a phone and wifi is a little spotty. Sorry guys :/

I got a couple of rounds in over the weekend. I played horrible and had some of the worst rounds in the last 6 months so it was tough to know what was the ball and what was my ugly golf swing, but I will give it a go. On Saturday I played a course about 45 minutes away that has very narrow fairways and the greens where horribly slow! Sunday I played my home course.

REFERENCE LINKS

SUMMARY:
For some reason, I really struggled this week, I felt like my timing with just off and I couldnt get everything sequenced so I was either coming throw early and hitting a thin pull or late and a weak high fade, both were really bad.

DRIVER:
This had been the one big plus with this ball until now, on Friday I only a couple of fairways all day long....as I said above, either a dead pull or I high weak fade and since the wind was blowing about 30mph, a high weak fade didnt play really well. I am not going to blame the ball for any of my downfalls this weekend, I am just reporting how I played with it.

HYBRIDS/IRONS:
Again, a horrible ball striking week but with the hybrids and irons most shots were low thin pulls, I did manage to hit a few decent shots with these and actually managed to get the Chromax ball to stop quickly on a couple. 3rd shot into a long par 5, I had 140 into a strong wind..hit a 6iron that climbed and hit the green and stopped dead about 10 feet away, I think the wind had a lot to do with the ball stopping so quickly but the ball did cut through the wind and hold it's line.

WEDGES:
This is the worst part of my game right now and I dont know why, it used to be the best....full shots are okay, but half shots and chips and pitches are horrible, I hate to blame the ball because of how bad I am swinging everything...but this ball is just really "clicky" and I just cant get a good feel off the wedges. I did some short game practice after my round yesteday and I used 3 Chromax and 3 B330-RX...and of course I got better spin from the RX ball...but it just seemed to come of the club more consitantly too. Some of this is probably in my head since I am more of a fly the ball to the hole and make it stop player instead of a chip and run type player.

PUTTING:
I had the worst putting round in over 2 years on Friday....3-3 putts and 1-4 putt, the greens very very slow....but I just cant get a feel for this ball off my putter...one putt I would leave it 5 feet short and the next was 5 feet long....putting was a little better Sunday at my home course, but still not to my normal level.

OVERALL:
As I stated early, I am not going to blame these bad rounds on just the ball, because I played and swung like crap! But do I think it might have been 3 or 4 strokes better each day playing the B330-RX....yes I do, I putt more consistantly with it and of course the chipping and pitching is better and those alone would have saved me a half dozen strokes each day. I did lose 2 more balls on Friday(both in the water), so I am down to 3 of the test balls, 2 gold and 1 green.

Testing date: December 20th, 2012

I took these with me Friday evening with a couple buddies to play 9 holes under the lights. I was hoping it'd be really awesome under lights but the lights just aren't bright enough throughout the course to let the ball stay lit throughout its flight. Regardless, I gave these a go, focusing on mostly my 6-4H, as well as my 21 degree fairway wood. The weather was a frosty 48 degrees during testing.

The cold weather definitely had an impact on my control ball, the NXT Tour. The Chromax however, not as much. Shots with my 6i for instance were landing 10yds shorter in carry with the NXT tour and checking up and releasing a couple feet. The Chromax was flying about 3-4yds short of target and releasing about 3-4yds. The ball flight was lower as expected in prior testing, but it's possible I was able to compress these balls a little easier in the cold air than the NXT tour.

This continued throughout the rest of the clubs hit until the fairway wood. Fairway wood, the landing area was wet on the holes used and the ball just plugged, as far as 15yds behind the NXT tour.

From what I'm experiencing, the Chromax haven't been all that comparable to their counterparts as anticipated. Other than visually and side spin, the competition has been outperforming these. I can only assume it has to do with the lower flight I'm getting with these. If I had firmer conditions where rollout was more possible, I'd like to see if my results change any.

Next time out, 3w and driver testing. Strong possibility I'll be able to get these on a simulator as long as they can pick them up.

Thanks for keeping the reviews going, testers. Lots of good info over the last five days. I'm going to see if I can get some Vector numbers on these balls soon.

ward, I am so interested to find out why your trajectory is lower. Whether it's spin, launch, or both.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts TBT and mw, I should be hitting the course again tomorrow to give these another workout.

I get back home tomorrow night and will have these back in play this wekend. Looking forward to it, weather permitting. Really excited to continue the testing after seeing the results the last time put. I believe I will head over to a more difficult course next week to really give these a challenge,

Good luck out there.

Just checked out those course pictures Mr. S, good luck on not losing any of those balls.

I've had to be away for a few days now, but I did get to get out with these balls one day while I was away. Before I get into that, though, I have one question. For those of you that are having the balls roll out on iron shots, are the greens you play normally receptive or are they a little on the hard side? The reason I'm asking is I have yet to have a ball roll out (unless I'm hitting something like a 4 or 5 iron) more than just a foot or two. Everything else seems to hit and stick. It doesn't back up any, but it doesn't really release any either.

Back to my testing. I was unable to get a round in, but spent some time around the practice green which is where I've seen the worst performance from these balls. I started with some chipping. The practice green at my course has both Practice Pro V1s and Pinnacle range balls on it for the members to use for practice. I didn't bother with the Pro V1s since I've already done a test with those, but I did grab a couple of the Pinnacles to use to compare them too. I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the way the two balls reacted. Neither ball really checked up at all and they both released out about the same distance from every location. The practice green we have doesn't have a a flat spot on it, so all of your chips are either going uphill or downhill, but even the uphill chip shots were rolling out 20 or so feet on me.

I then spent a little time out on the putting green using a several different putters. I didn't use any other balls to compare to, but just wanted to get a feel on how the ball felt off the putter using different putters. I used my SeeMore FGP, an Odyssey Dart Metal-X, and an Odyssey Two-ball White Hot. Out of the three of them, the SeeMore felt the worst. The two Odysseys that I got out of the pro shop felt a little better, but it still has the hard ball feel off the putter even with the White Hot insert. It still rolled out like I expected it to. I hit my line fine and had good distance on the putts, but the feel of this ball just isn't good off any putter I tried.

I also wanted to get a couple of pictures of the ball sitting in some thick rough to show how good you can see it. We have some pretty crazy native grass areas all over our course and usually when you hit a ball in them, you can forget about finding it. So far, I've hit several of these balls in there and I still haven't lost one yet. I tried to recreate some of those lies to show how visible they are.

http://www.brianhilton.net/pics/random/Chromax1.JPG

http://www.brianhilton.net/pics/random/Chromax2.JPG

With these balls, all I have to do is get in the general vicinity of the ball and I can spot it shining back at me.

The conditions changed quite a bit during the first couple weeks of testing for me. The greens were fairly firm at first, but softened up considerably towards the end. I didn't have big issues losing balls off them with either, but there was a difference. I think the roll out on a similar wedge swing was around 5-6 longer, so not a huge difference.

Nice pics, bhilton. That's some nasty stuff!

The greens on the 2 courses I have tested the Chromax on are both firm, today I am going to try them on a course that has "softer" greens so I will be watching roll out closely. Enjoyed the update too.

Thanks for the pic's bhilton, I spend enough times in places like that to warrant a ball that stands out that well.

Just checked out those course pictures Mr. S, good luck on not losing any of those balls.

That's why i chose to play there, that visibility will really help me out, plus I will have some of my buddies hit the ball and see what they think. The grass is epic haha

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Chromax 36 Hole Testing

Chromax 36 Hole Testing

Dates: Friday December 21[SUP]st[/SUP] and Saturday December 22[SUP]nd[/SUP]
Location: Tangle Ridge Golf Course and Coyote Ridge Golf Course
Weather: 50s-60s with partly cloudy skies
Purpose: Give the Chromax further testing on 36 challenging holes.

Hey guys, sorry this review is coming so late, but with the holidays I have been away from the computer to spend time with my family that I don’t see often. I was very excited to come home to Dallas because I knew that meant some golf and golf with THPers.

Friday: On Friday I met Cookie and Nate at Tangle Ridge Golf Course. It is an absolutely beautiful course that has tons of elevation changes, and some very difficult greens. I lost my first two Chromax balls at Tangle Ridge that day, and they were both from bad swings, and both were absolutely gone into deep woods, with no chance of finding them. We played some match play games so eventually I stopped using the Chromax for a bit because they are just so horrible for me off the putter face. Nate and Cookie both commented on the looks of the ball, and they said very similar things about the brightness and cover that have been said dozens of times in here.

Saturday: Saturday was another good day for me. I got to play golf with a very good friend who I hadn’t seen in awhile. I let him play a Chromax along with me for 18 holes and provide his thoughts. He didn’t have much good to say about the ball, but I am not sure it is targeted at him. He is a 6 or so handicap and he plays the B330-RX. I think he over compressed this ball as I saw some big time ballooning that I hadn’t seen on my swings, but regardless he didn’t much enjoy the balls.

Driver: Off of the driver this thing performed well. I was trying out Nate’s B. Asha and the ball just wanted to stay in the fairway. It is a great ball for me off the driver, little sidespin and as good if not better distance than my Q-Stars.

Long Irons/Hybrids/Woods: This is very similar to the driver for me. I am seeing good performance. They perform very similar to my Q-Stars with these clubs.

Short Irons/Wedges: This is where I start to notice the heavy feeling. I am not sure if I am the only one who notices it, as it seems many of you don’t seem to feel it, but for me it feels very “clicky” and it is something I can’t get used to.

Putting: I can’t stand this ball off the putter. No matter how many times I putt with it, I can’t shake the feeling of the ball off the putter.

At the end of the day, I am putting these things through their paces for THP, but I don’t think I would ever play these balls long term. The price and the feel from the putter don’t make it a good choice for me. For the price of these balls I can buy a premium level ball, and a lot of mint Q-Stars.

Thanks to THP and Chromax for this opportunity and as always please feel free to ask questions and if you have anything you want tested I will try and do it for you!

I Played 27 Holes on Christmas eve in perfect 75* weather with very little wind. Ball striking was pretty good that day and my scores showed it. I used a gold Chromax Distance ball for all 27 holes and after several rounds in with these balls, I have finally gotten used to the extra rollout with irons, but I still have issues with the putter.

Score for the day was 40/42/40....I will take that anyday.

REFERENCE LINKS

DRIVER:
This may have been the biggest key to my scoring today, I was crushing my driver. I just got in a groove where I was hitting a mid high rope with a little baby draw on it and with the Chromax balls I was getting an additional 20 yards of roll when the ball hit. This is by far the best driving day I have had in months. I did hit a couple of Titleist Velocity balls off the tee on a couple of holes to compare the Chromax and I was seeing similar results.

HYBRIDS/IRONS:
The best I have hit the ball in quite a while, I am still just a "hair off" but it was much better today. I made a conscious effort today to allow for a half club's worth of roll out when hitting into the greens and it paid off on my mid to long iron and hybrids shots. I started leaving myself hole high or just short of the hole on most approach shots instead of running it to the back of the green.

WEDGES:
I am still having a hard time with finesse type wedge shots with this ball because I tend to fly the ball almost all the way to the hole and that doesn't work for my with the Chromax ball. Towards the end of the round I was subtracting 3 yards in my head from the distance I was getting from my rangefinder and I found that worked out pretty good.

PUTTER:
I still don't like the sound of this ball off my putter, it sounds harsh and I can't feel it on the face of the putter.

SUMMARY:
The performance that I am seeing from the Chromax distance ball is about what I would expect from a standard distance ball like a Pinnacle or Topflite or a lower level Titleist ball. I like the optics and can really see the benefit of bright colors and I enjoy when people stop and say "what kind of ball is that???". However, I keep coming back to the same thing....price. At $42 a dozen, the Chromax Distance Balls are priced at least $20 more than comparable balls in the "Distance Category". As Hawk said, I might pick up a sleeve of these on a whim, but at that price point I wouldn't make it a regular purchase.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Great write-ups TBT and TH34. I too would be a bit put off at such a high priced ball if it did not work well in all aspects of my game.

Nice write up TBT. Sounds like a decent day out and glad to hear you found your swing again.
The roll out with these is definitely something you have to think about on your approach shots. And I would have to agree with you about everything you have stated about these balls. They are a conversation starter for sure.
I Played 27 Holes on Christmas eve in perfect 75* weather with very little wind. Ball striking was pretty good that day and my scores showed it. I used a gold Chromax Distance ball for all 27 holes and after several rounds in with these balls, I have finally gotten used to the extra rollout with irons, but I still have issues with the putter.

Score for the day was 40/42/40....I will take that anyday.

REFERENCE LINKS

DRIVER:
This may have been the biggest key to my scoring today, I was crushing my driver. I just got in a groove where I was hitting a mid high rope with a little baby draw on it and with the Chromax balls I was getting an additional 20 yards of roll when the ball hit. This is by far the best driving day I have had in months. I did hit a couple of Titleist Velocity balls off the tee on a couple of holes to compare the Chromax and I was seeing similar results.

HYBRIDS/IRONS:
The best I have hit the ball in quite a while, I am still just a "hair off" but it was much better today. I made a conscious effort today to allow for a half club's worth of roll out when hitting into the greens and it paid off on my mid to long iron and hybrids shots. I started leaving myself hole high or just short of the hole on most approach shots instead of running it to the back of the green.

WEDGES:
I am still having a hard time with finesse type wedge shots with this ball because I tend to fly the ball almost all the way to the hole and that doesn't work for my with the Chromax ball. Towards the end of the round I was subtracting 3 yards in my head from the distance I was getting from my rangefinder and I found that worked out pretty good.

PUTTER:
I still don't like the sound of this ball off my putter, it sounds harsh and I can't feel it on the face of the putter.

SUMMARY:
The performance that I am seeing from the Chromax distance ball is about what I would expect from a standard distance ball like a Pinnacle or Topflite or a lower level Titleist ball. I like the optics and can really see the benefit of bright colors and I enjoy when people stop and say "what kind of ball is that???". However, I keep coming back to the same thing....price. At $42 a dozen, the Chromax Distance Balls are priced at least $20 more than comparable balls in the "Distance Category". As Hawk said, I might pick up a sleeve of these on a whim, but at that price point I wouldn't make it a regular purchase.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Back