Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course (Arcadia, MI) - Course Review

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course Review

Founded in 1999, Arcadia Bluffs Golf Course, in Arcadia, MI, is universally considered the top ranked public golf course in Michigan and among the top ranked in the country. With its 3,100 feet worth of shoreline on Lake Michigan, 50 sod-walled bunkers, and incredible amenities, it is no wonder it gets that much deserved designation.

This seaside Irish links style course is immaculate, sprawling across 245 acres of wind-swept real estate. The Nantucket style clubhouse sits atop the golf course, providing a fantastic view of nearly every hole from the deck. It is unlike anything else in the United States. And as evidence to this, one of the coolest things about this course is that on the hour, a bagpiper comes out and plays a traditional tune. A truly unique experience all around that only Arcadia Bluffs can offer.
Logistics of Arcadia Bluffs
The golf course is located just over an hour southwest of Traverse City and just under two and a half hours north of Grand Rapids. Although there is more than 1 way to get there from either of those areas, it is as secluded as it gets which is really the only negative about this golf course. Buddies trips are common though, with an ample amount of fantastic golf courses within driving distance and the location doesn’t seem to scare the plethora of patrons that attend each day that fill up full tee sheets.

Practice Area: B+

The practice areas at Arcadia Bluffs were very solid, consisting of a full length driving range, a fantastic short game area, and a well located practice green. A shuttle, if your cart is unavailable, will be more than happy to take you up the driveway to the warm-up area. The driving range had placards in the ground denoting distances to flags on greens and posts throughout the range as well as mobile boards up adjusting for that days tee location. Free range balls are included with the purchase of a round. The short game area is very well design with ample room to get a good taste of what the course has to offer with greenside bunkers and undulating putting surfaces. That being said, it is still relatively tame compared to what the course is actually like (LordByron modeling how high the lips are on the greenside bunkers above). The putting green is located within the circle drive in front of the clubhouse and we were recommended to practice putting on the short game area greens as opposed to that. We could see why as it had relatively little undulation and did not act like the greens on the course.

Course Conditions: A

Although this visit was made in early October, the course conditions were excellent. The greens rolled fast and true, but not as fast as what is seen during prime-season conditions. Tee boxes and fairways were in great shape and every bunker manicured. True to the links design, the usually long and lush fescue surrounding the course was knocked down late in the season, but during the summer it is a guaranteed lost ball penalty and a mess to deal with.

Layout: A+

This Warren Henderson and Rick Smith design on the shores of Lake Michigan is a flat out gem. Measuring 7,300 yards from the championship tees, 6,700 yards from the black tees, 6,250 yards from the white tees, and 5,100 yards from the forward tees, the course is playable for all skill levels and abilities. There are no forced carries that are of over 100 yards and everything is right in front of you on this design. Using the natural landscape, including natural sand bunkers and stadium-style hills, it is often difficult to see other holes from the one you are on. One particular hole, and probably the signature hole of the course is #12, a par 4 right on the edge of the bluffs on the shores of the lake, absolutely stunning.

It is recommended you take an extra ball up to this tee box. After your group takes their tee shots, turn 90* to the left and tee up a shot out into Lake Michigan and see how far you can get it. At approximately 200 feet above the level of the water and boats always out there, it is a truly unique experience.

Pace of Play: B

Typical pace of play at Arcadia Bluffs is 4 hours and 30 minutes. Our foursome on a pretty busy tee sheet of 120 players got around the course 20 minutes over pace. That being said didn’t have to wait for a group on a single tee box and never got pushed by anybody. It didn’t seem like we were slow either as we enjoyed the spectacular scenery and weather. Throughout the round we saw marshals and course staff, always greeting us warmly and staying out of our way.

Price: A-

Playing Arcadia Bluffs carries with it a premium price tag, but it is completely worth it in my opinion for a top tier public course in the entire United States. Between the superior conditions, customer service, and scenery on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, it really is a value at any time of the year. The 2015 rates were as follows:
DatesStandardTwilight** 4pm/6:30pmReplay
April 1st through May 10[SUP]th[/SUP]$75$75
May 11th through May 31[SUP]st[/SUP]$130$110/na$80*
June 1st through Sept 27th***$185$110/$50$80*
September 28th through October 11th$100$80
October 12th through October 29[SUP]th[/SUP]$75$75

Arcadia Bluffs also provides the opportunity to employ caddies for your pleasure. The prices are very competitive and, although I did not use one, have heard great things about them and how they improve the quality of a round. The 2015 rates were $50 per bag plus gratuity for a caddie, and forecaddie fees were $40 plus gratuity.

Amenities: A-
For on course options, there is a beverage cart during busy times that goes around the course. Additionally, there is a halfway house that offers freshly grilled hot dogs and a variety of other on-the-go foods for mid-round replenishment. Fully plumbed, private restrooms are also present around the course every few holes.

Off the course, Arcadia Bluffs offers a couple great amenities including two fantastic dining experiences and two different lodging options to stay-and-play golfers.

The Lodge at Arcadia Bluffs (bottom left) is located on the second level of the clubhouse. It features 15 guest rooms, each with a private walk-out porch that offer either a lake view or a sunrise view.
The Cottages at Arcadia Bluffs (top and bottom right) are located in the northeast portion of the property alongside the par 3 second hole. At 1,900 square foot including four bedrooms and baths, they offer great space and privacy for groups and afford for discounted rounds of golf. Breakfast is also included with the rental.
The Dining Room (top left) is open to the public and offers a more formal experience and great view of the course. With ample wine options and a great variety of the finest foods on the menu, it is great for men and women alike.
The Lakeview Room offers a more casual atmosphere than the dining room and a simpler menu. As the name suggests, it provides a full panoramic view of the course and Lake Michigan on an uncovered deck. It also includes a private lounge for small groups.

Overall Grade: A
Arcadia Bluffs is a flat out must play for fans of great golf with great scenery. While the location may be very isolated on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, it is that seclusion that makes it all the more special that a gem like this is located where it is. It is great for buddies trips with lodging and tons of other great golf within an hour or so from here.

[View of clubhouse from 18 during day and twilight hours]

Last edited:
And now for some more pictures that can't be included in the official 5 of the review:

Panoramski action from the deck

Some fairway bunkers are DEEP

These greens are really undulating and can be incredible difficult when the speed is up

As deep as the fairway bunkers are, greenside are even worse

You don't want to have to fetch your shot tee ball down this ravine (which is even bigger thanks to some recent erosion)

Very nice review!

It's not often I'd say prime season rates of $175 are worth it,but this is the exception to that rule!

This will be an annual stop for me going forward.

Thanks for the review. Played here a while back and enjoyed myself.
Nearing 5 hours though, that is not something I enjoy.
Glad you guys had a great time.

Nice review. But unfortunately I have to disagree about the $185 prime rate. Been a while since I played it, but there are hundreds of courses in Michigan that are cheaper but a better play

$85 would be more worth it here

Nice review. But unfortunately I have to disagree about the $185 prime rate. Been a while since I played it, but there are hundreds of courses in Michigan that are cheaper but a better play

This is one fine course.
Wouldnt one have to play before they declare it inferior to others?

Great review and what an amazing course! I just gotta play it next time I make the trip home. I played what is typically ranked the #2 public venue in Michigan (Greywalls) a couple months ago but from your review Arcadia Bluffs is a significant upgrade. Thanks for sharing.

This is one fine course.
Wouldnt one have to play before they declare it inferior to others?
It was very nice .. I just don't see it being worth that much. If you can travel that great state , you can find some better tracks at a more reasonable price. Easily $100 over priced , but it is one that everyone should try

Weird the better tracks didnt get ranked above this one then.
.great review tyler

Great review Tyler, that place looks fantastic

I call BS

It was very nice .. I just don't see it being worth that much. If you can travel that great state , you can find some better tracks at a more reasonable price. Easily $100 over priced , but it is one that everyone should try

Absolutely couldn't disagree more, this is a top course in the US, and a steal compared to what comparable courses are priced.

The conditions, service, scenery, and layout make this price solid.

I also think that if your thoughts were shared, it wouldn't fill tee sheets day after day.
(The pro shop stated when I played there in the summer, that only 1-2 tee availabilities are not uncommon at any time)

Sold review Tyler. Pictures look amazing and looks like a great test of golf.

Thanks for the review. Played here a while back and enjoyed myself.
Nearing 5 hours though, that is not something I enjoy.
Glad you guys had a great time.
Yeah I think the pace of play is mostly attributed to the difficulty of the course. If a group wanted to motor around there in 4 hours or less, they could do so by not looking for balls in the fescue and all that.

Almost unanimously the top [public] course in Michigan in every ranking I've ever seen, top 50 in the US period. At the price, I'd say it's a value compared to say a Pinehurst. Now, logistics of getting there may cost more, but the stand-alone price isn't all that bad for once a year or so like it's intended.

I would definatley pay the $185 to play that course and want to replay it again the next day.

Thanks for the great review of a beautiful place.

Hopefully a mod can clean the thread up for those people looking for genuine insight

Great review Tyler. Looks like a dandy course and I know with you and CJ giving it high remarks is has to be a top place to play.

I will play this sometime next summer :)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Awesome review tyler! Course looks amazing.

Great review

Great review, Tyler. AB is one of those courses I want to get to at some point. It's a great area for a course and it appears they did everything well here. I would pay what they charged easily.

Great review! Played it for the 1st time on September 26th - one day before the rates went down and was worried about being so late in the season and freezing temperatures. (early tee time) Turned out it was 75* and had a fantastic time! Thanks for the great photos too - yours look much better than mine.
Compared to other "marquee" courses this would be cheap at twice the price!

Excellent review Tyler! AB was a lot of fun and I would not hesitate to play it again. I think the fee we paid was very fair, given the traffic on course the market would agree.

Played two rounds here in August. It's awesome. If it was 45 miles from Chicago or Detroit, it would be a $250 course in peak season. "Hundreds of courses" in Michigan better than Arcadia? Give me a freaking break.

Try to make a trip there every year and think the price is totally worth it. Compare it to whistling straits which runs about $500 and Arcadia is a steal. While I haven't played whistling straits, I have several friends who have and met with folks you have played both at the PGA this summer. Hands down everyone said dollar for dollar Arcadia is better.

Great write up Ty.

Back